let's take a deep breath....

calikid2609

:
2000 mazda protege 1.6L
i'm searching around lookin' for a good intake systen for my 1.6. But, all i'm finding is replacement filters, weapon-R (which i don't know if it's reputable er not), and of course pipes for 1.8's. i was thinking of just putting a 1.8 of it to make it a sort of forced induction, or just building my own out of spectre parts from advanced. could i get some advice?

how would putting an intake for a 1.8 make it forced induction? either way there cant be but so many differences get the one from the 1.8 and modify it if neccesary

i was thinking not neccessarily like a turbo, but that by putting a bigger intake pipe on it would slightly force more airflow through the manifold. what would i have to modify in order to put the bigger intake put on it?

i was thinking not neccessarily like a turbo, but that by putting a bigger intake pipe on it would slightly force more airflow through the manifold. what would i have to modify in order to put the bigger intake put on it?
I have the Secret Weapon from Weapon-R, and its awesome. Easy install, easy to clean, and it sounds awesome once you hit higher RPMs. A bigger intake pipe isnt going to 'force' more air thru. The ECU would just correct for the higher volume of air coming in.

thanks speedracr, that sounds like a great deal that they have. do you have one? what reviews have you heard? or if you have one, what do you think of it?

No i have the Injen CAI but i may be considering getting one of these though. Hit up AceofproZ he has one and Jreichle1 had the SRI version from what i hear they are pretty good especially for the price. My CAI was like 250 new, i like that the Cosmo one can be made into a SRI when needed. Cant do that with my Injen CAI

The Cosmo's were sold here in Holland alot, I helped a couple of people to import some.
It's really the best bang for your buck and it doesn't throw ugly CEL's like some other intakes do on the 1.6.
The tubing is just right 2,25 inch if i'm right. Don't put an 1.8 or 2.0 intake on a 1.6, it will run terrible. The diameter piping is just too large. Theoretically the ecu would correct the flow/mixture but in the end that's a fairy-tale and your car will run crap. There seems to be a 1.6 SRI which has the wrong diameter too, i'm not sure which brand it was.

Also the Cosmo and the Injen have the mount for the 1.6 maf, the 1.8/2.0 intakes don't as the maf is different.

The difference between the Cosmo and the Injen? The cosmo can be made short with the couplers it isn't one piece like the Injen. So installing would be a bit easier. But because the Injen is one piece it sounds way deeper (e.g. it has a deep distinctive growl). I'm not sure what the quality of the actual filter is on the Cosmo but i've never heard anyone complain about it, neither the Injen filter.

The Injen also has options for a dirt-shield and the hydroshield cover. But probably can be put on/over the Cosmo too.

Last but not least, I thought there was a dyno of the injen intake but I could be wrong. Would be nice to see some 1.6 dynographs.

No i have the Injen CAI but i may be considering getting one of these though. Hit up AceofproZ he has one and Jreichle1 had the SRI version from what i hear they are pretty good especially for the price. My CAI was like 250 new, i like that the Cosmo one can be made into a SRI when needed. Cant do that with my Injen CAI

I have an Injen too and for half the price, I wish I had gotten the Cosmo years ago when I bought mine. Oh well, I enjoy what I have and it sounds great.

thanks a lot for your help guys! it might be a while till i can get any work done on it, so i just put a k&n replacement on it for now. i have a kid on the way so the project's on the back burner for now...

hey i got another question..... can the 1.8l exhaust fit on the 1.6l? or would i be better off port matching it?

Don't. Different Diameter, also doesn't have the bracket to put in your 1.6 MAF. You're MAF won't adjust properly to the wrong diameter. It will try but it won't run as good as when you just get the right size diameter. Kinda like driving around with a bad MAF + getting alot of CEL's ;)

Back