Leaving home light

:
2020 Mazda CX-9
Hi all, I turned my leaving home light on in my 2020 CX9 and I was just wondering how many of you guys have it on. I’m scared it will waste the battery or something. Once I get into the car and drive off at day time do the headlights still stay on or do the lights only come on for 30 seconds when your getting into the car?

Don’t worry about it, when the engine is started the alternator provides enough power to charge the battery, even with the headlights on. So your battery isn’t discharging.

i also don’t think the lights stay on while driving, but even if they were your battery would be fine

I looked through your history to see you have a signature. You have at least as many options as I do then. If you have the lights set to auto and the leaving home lights on, they will turn on for 30 seconds or until you turn on the car. Once the car is on, your light stalk takes over and they will do whatever you have your stalk set to.

As for your battery draining, assuming you have an old group 35 battery with 44ah and discharging to 75% or lower will bring it to the point of not starting you car, you would need to get the leaving home lights to turn on over 180 times before you’d have an issue.

Don’t worry about it, when the engine is started the alternator provides enough power to charge the battery, even with the headlights on. So your battery isn’t discharging.

i also don’t think the lights stay on while driving, but even if they were your battery would be fine

I have the same concern.

As long as you have a healthy battery, nothing to worry about running lights or any accessories for a few minutes with the engine off. Meanwhile, those lights just run for a few seconds.

Just to add, make it a habit to observe your vehicle's battery condition. More often than not, the battery doesn't just die one day. One of the easiest signs of its weakness is when it's getting harder and harder to do a cold start.

Perfect, thanks a lot.

I looked through your history to see you have a signature. You have at least as many options as I do then. If you have the lights set to auto and the leaving home lights on, they will turn on for 30 seconds or until you turn on the car. Once the car is on, your light stalk takes over and they will do whatever you have your stalk set to.

As for your battery draining, assuming you have an old group 35 battery with 44ah and discharging to 75% or lower will bring it to the point of not starting you car, you would need to get the leaving home lights to turn on over 180 times before you’d have an issue.
Makes sense now, appreciate that. 😊

As long as you have a healthy battery, nothing to worry about running lights or any accessories for a few minutes with the engine off. Meanwhile, those lights just run for a few seconds.

Just to add, make it a habit to observe your vehicle's battery condition. More often than not, the battery doesn't just die one day. One of the easiest signs of its weakness is when it's getting harder and harder to do a cold start.
Perfect, thanks a lot for that.

Back