leaky head gasket?

spiderpig

i JUST got my 92 DX 2day and i see lots of what looks like 2 me grease and or oil right at top of exhaust manifold its mostly on passenger side where dipstick is so i dont think its spilled oil its a little 2 much and im worried the car runs strong and has no cels or anything but again i JUST got the car any help is appreciated also great site and awesome resource for those who use it right thanks

so nothing 2 worry bout if i install new gasket?

and how easy is it 2 get 2 the gasket what would need removed? im not good at wrenching but i dont want my car 2 stop running either thanks 4 help!

If it is the valve cover gasket leaking, just remember that those bolts don't go on very tight. When you remove them, you will see how they're not on there very tight at all. They may need to be tightened just a little more than they are now but not too much more. You will find yourself breaking the bolts, otherwise. Also, buy yourself a Haynes or Chilton manual for your car at your local auto parts store. If you can get the factory manual, then it's even better. Check ebay for that. One more thing, try using conventional typing. You know, with new sentences, capital letters, periods, etc. That first post was kind of uncomfortable to read. Welcome

Thanks for being an AC to the guy.

The valve cover is what your oil cap is attached to. To remove it there should be a couple of bolts Total of 6. Probably a 10mm socket would due. You unscrew them and the valve cover should come off. If the gasket has been on there for awhile it could be a little stuck but sometimes you get lucky and the oil that is leaking through helps pop it off. Once it comes off you get all of the old gasket off the valve cover and the head. Make sure you don't get any of the old gasket in the head. Once that is done you put the new one on stick the valve cover back on and put the bolts back on. Normally the bolts you can hand tighten then give it a 1/4 of a turn and it should be good. if you do go to Advance Auto you can get a Haynes Manuel which will give you the how to's and torque specs for most everything. That book costs about $15 and can be a life saver to someone who is just starting out.

thanks! im happy 2 have such knowledge at the touch of a keyboard. im gonna not use run ons and will try 2 puncuate everything. sorry bout that im just excited bout my sweet ass mazda! im gonna do what u say and hope i get lucky and do well it sounds somewhat easy if all go well, thanks again!

well think of it this way.

It can't really come from anywhere else. If it came from the exhaust ports it would be burnt away. If the head was cracked you'd have a bigger mess. You'd rarely see oil come from the spark plug holes..... I'd go with Valve Cover gasket :-D

Spiderpig where do you live? If your anywhere close to Charlotte, NC I'd be willing to help ya with it if ya need.

Remember, no one here is guaranteeing that the leak is coming from the valve cover gasket. It just sounds that way and is very common.

not close 2 charlotte but i appreciate the offer i can do i think i just need 2 borrow a torque wrench and get the specs on the bolts so i dont over tighten them, if i screw something up ill let u guys know uve been real helpful and thats cool. if anyone knows the factory specs let me know also should i semi tighten them at 1st and do it in a certain order then go back and tighten fully?

You dont need a torque wrench for the valve cover bolts. If you do feel you need one make sure it's in inch pounds as that is probably going to be what the torque spec will be in as well.

Back