LCD vs. DLP

For those that may not understand the feed versus resolution thing:
Keep in mind, 720 vs 1080 is only the vertical resolution...

The signal that enters the TV is called the feed. If your signal, from satellite, DVD, etc, is only outputting a 720p signal, all you'll get is 720 digitized up to 1080 (if your TV is 1080). Buying a 1080 tv now is planning for the future so that when the 1080 signals hit the market, in the next year or two, you will be prepared. If you get a 720 tv now, you will be compatible with just about everything out there, but when 1080 comes in, you'll be slightly behind the game. That's why I got a cheaper 720 now for the family room. Good enough for the wife and kids (and it fit in my armoire). Downstairs will go the 1080 big tv when the time (and money) comes.

i work for bestbuy, but in the magnolia home theater room, for those on the west coast Magnolia should sound really familiar. and i agree withe everything spicy has said. best buy runs hd feed but splits it a good 100times for the tvs. In our magnolia room we have seperate hd receivers and another sat. so have about 15-20 tvs max in that room. we carry dlps, rear projo lcds, plasmas, and lcds, and rear projos. dlp all the way, but then again it all depends where you will put it and what you want out of it. the new samsung 1080ps along with the mits are awesome pictures. toshiba will be coming out with a hd-dvd player in one year or less or so they say, along with samsung. ps3 when it comes out will be blueray(different format of hd-dvd*you can say). most companies have their cheap models and their top of the line models. i tend to deal with the best of the best. or at least the best you can get from the big chains(lots more product than you can imagine).

excuse the *non-professional* typing, i just type things out i hate intraweb grammar! right now 720p is where its at. if you love moves and dont feel like spending money on a 1080p set. get yourself an upconvert dvd player that will do 720p/1080i, bc your everyday dvd player will only do 480p which is teh suxorz. 1080p is for the future not to long from now. just the same with HDMI when it first came out. be on the lookout there are a good amount of things to come out in the video/audio industry as to broadcast and dvds. tv broadcast-will take longer than the film industry will to put hd on dvd. they need to upgrade all sorts of equipment, ever figure out how much discovery channel pays for one of their camera's that can capture everything in such SUCH great picture(watch the discovery channel in hd, you'll know what im talking about). Sadly it will take at least a year to see any real hard progress on true higher signal pushed through anything. Blueray has 50%plus failure rate last time i checked a couple months ago.

You are correct in saying that we have a centeral source that is put through out the store. But you are wrong in saying that all TV are on the same source. On our high end TV's we have dedicated HD SAT. and ANT. feeds. Also, all stores have the ability to make this happen. Maybe you need to see them yourself on independent sources displaying the same thing. And maybe find a store that knows what they are doing. If you were to see an SXRD tv and a DLP next to each other on the same program you would see who owns. The SXRD is by far the best TV out there. Try to find a store with one on the floor (very new and very low stock, they sell very quick) and see what you think. In the end it will be up to what your eyes tell you.

PS- I have an XBOX and PS2 hooked up to each at one time or another and both (SXRD and DLP) look great. Forza Motorsports and GT4, are so much better at 480p.

Bizam21 said:
You are correct in saying that we have a centeral source that is put through out the store. But you are wrong in saying that all TV are on the same source. On our high end TV's we have dedicated HD SAT. and ANT. feeds. Also, all stores have the ability to make this happen. Maybe you need to see them yourself on independent sources displaying the same thing. And maybe find a store that knows what they are doing. If you were to see an SXRD tv and a DLP next to each other on the same program you would see who owns. The SXRD is by far the best TV out there. Try to find a store with one on the floor (very new and very low stock, they sell very quick) and see what you think. In the end it will be up to what your eyes tell you.

PS- I have an XBOX and PS2 hooked up to each at one time or another and both (SXRD and DLP) look great. Forza Motorsports and GT4, are so much better at 480p.

Perhaps I phrased that incorrectly. It is true most places have dedicated HD feeds, however, you can't compare a DLP monitor on a recycled feed next a pure HD satellite feed. Thats the way it happens in a lot of those places. High Dollar items get great source, monitors which cost less and have comprable quality get the crap.

That is ture, lots of stores have the high end TV's with an awesome source and the garbage on everything else. The SXRD's run $4000 for the 50 inch and $5000 for the 60 inch. Not exactly cheap but well worth it if thats your thing.

Holy ******* s*** Balls Batman!! I'm in the market, and now 4 pages later my brain hurts!! LOL.

My living room is rather small, going to have to stick with a 42, 46 might be pushing it. Any suggestions? Looking to spend no more than 2k. Right now I have a 32" sony wega low def. set lol =)
I watch tv, dvd's, and want better quality for my video gaming with worry of burn in.

glyph said:
The DLPs are cheaper at that size?
It really depends on the brand and type of DLP unit. If you are already in the market to purchase a high dollar item like that, your better off getting the best.

I meant based on size. I am curious how these new Sony's stack up in the price dept.

lamp3 said:
Holy ******* s*** Balls Batman!! I'm in the market, and now 4 pages later my brain hurts!! LOL.

My living room is rather small, going to have to stick with a 42, 46 might be pushing it. Any suggestions? Looking to spend no more than 2k. Right now I have a 32" sony wega low def. set lol =)
I watch tv, dvd's, and want better quality for my video gaming with worry of burn in.

for that money, I would definitely recommend the Samsung HL4266W. I have it in my kind of small living room, and it's gorgeous. You may have to find it on sale to get below $2000, like I did. Or go online and factor in shipping. But keep in mind store service if something ever goes wrong.

Also keep in mind that the Samsung HLR4266W isnt a 1080p TV set. It will display a max res of 1280 x 720 (720p). But for the price its a very good set. I still recommend the Sony KDFE42A10 over the samsung hlr4266w. They are at the exact same price point at the moment in my store I belive.

And to answer the question about how the Sony 1080p SXRD and the Samsung 1080p stack up aginst each other as far as price. The Samsung HL-R5078W is $3500 as is the Sony KDSR50XBR1 and both are 50 inch TV's. Depending on where you are looking that price should be the norm unless its a mom and pop kind of place. Hope that helps someone out there.

We have a 61" Samsung DLP. Quality is very nice. Black is actually black and not grey. Dark seens are very clear and crisp. The outside structure is very attractive a pic was attached some posts before. The thing I don't like is the time it takes to turn on and the time it takes to search for a new source input. I have a computer hooked up to it through VGA but it take DVI as well. The resolution is 1280x720 or something like that can't remember. We have all our divx movies on it and play them on the tv. We are very happy with the purchase. We would have gone with the 1080p version but it has audio lag when hooked up to a pc from what I read in the reviews.

Back