Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

MakeMeGoFast

Pursuit of HP happiness
Contributor
:
02' Protege ES
I came across this while surfing the net, I'm personally excited that there is finally an intelligent movement to confront the problems of crime and violence in our country. With that being said please keep on topic and try to keep the IQ level up also...lol. Just trying to my part to spread the word.

Thoughts?

http://www.leap.cc

LEAP promo on Youtube

LEAP Statement of Principles

1. LEAP does not promote the use of drugs and is deeply concerned about the extent of drug abuse worldwide. LEAP is also deeply concerned with the destructive impact of violent drug gangs and cartels everywhere in the world. Neither problem is remedied by the current policy of drug prohibition. Indeed, drug abuse and gang violence flourish in a drug prohibition environment, just as they did during alcohol prohibition.

2. LEAP advocates the elimination of the policy of drug prohibition and the inauguration of a replacement policy of drug control and regulation, including regulations imposing appropriate age restrictions on drug sales and use, just as there are age restrictions on marriage, signing contracts, alcohol, tobacco, operating vehicles and heavy equipment, voting and so on.

3. LEAP believes that adult drug abuse is a health problem and not a law-enforcement matter, provided that the abuse does not harm other people or the property of others.

4. LEAP believes that adult drug use, however dangerous, is a matter of personal freedom as long as it does not impinge on the freedom or safety of others.

5. LEAP speakers come from a wide divergence of political thought and social conscience and recognize that in a post-prohibition world it will take time to strike a proper regulatory balance, blending private, public and medical models to best control and regulate illicit drugs. LEAP speakers are free to advocate their view of better post-prohibition stratagems without toeing a LEAP party line.

6. LEAP recognizes that even in a post-prohibition world, still, drugs can be dangerous and potentially addictive, requiring appropriate regulation and control. Even in a free-market economy, reasonable regulation for the purposes of public health is a long-standing, accepted principle. Such regulation must not allow casual, unfettered or indiscriminate drug sales.

7. LEAP believes that government has a public health obligation to accurately ascertain the risks associated with the use of each illicit drug and a duty to clearly communicate that information to the public by means of labeling and warnings similar to what is done regarding food, tobacco, alcohol and medicine.

8. LEAP believes that an inordinate number of people have been misguidedly incarcerated for violation of zero-tolerant, nonviolent, consensual drug crimes. The end of drug prohibition will allow those persons to be promptly released, to have their record of conviction expunged, and their civil rights completely restored. However, the repeal of drug prohibition does not imply the exoneration from charges for connected offenses, such as violent crimes, gun crimes, theft, or driving under the influence of drugs. Furthermore, LEAP believes that people using alcohol or other drugs must be held accountable for any misbehavior, which harms other people or property of others, while under the influence of mind-altering substances.

9. LEAP believes that persons suffering from drug abuse afflictions and addiction, who want help, should be provided with a variety of help, including drug treatment and drug maintenance, even for uninsured addicts. LEAP believes that with an end to drug prohibition and regained control of criminal justice expenditures, a fraction of those savings would be more than sufficient to pay for expanded addiction services.

10. LEAP recognizes that different illicit drugs pose differing risks of harm. As such, in a post-prohibition world, LEAP recognizes that an appropriate set of regulations and control for one substance may not be a suitable or sufficient regulation and control for another substance. LEAP believes that the nation states of the world and various states within the United States must be given the regulatory latitude to try new models that wisely balance the notions of freedom over ones own body with the need for common sense regulation of drugs to reduce death, disease, addiction and harm.

I strongly agree with everything this organisation stands for, but its not realistic for our uptight nation. So many people are blinded by the ideals of being the "Stern parents of mankind." They are under the belief that anarchy would take over if this were to come true. When in reality it would relieve so many mister meaner crimes that ruin peoples lives.

I strongly agree with everything this organisation stands for, but its not realistic for our uptight nation. So many people are blinded by the ideals of being the "Stern parents of mankind." They are under the belief that anarchy would take over if this were to come true. When in reality it would relieve so many mister meaner crimes that ruin peoples lives.

misdemeanor :)

If we don't end the ideals now, it will be passed on from generations to generation. Without revolution, we will forever be trapped in the reformed set of lies. I strongly believe in this idea of ending the prohibition. The drug war has failed, it's time to move on.

Honestly, I dont agree with it at all. Legalization of drugs will lead to increased violence and increased deaths. Whether you believe it or not. Millions of people who have never tried drugs before, and have no idea how they will react, are going to be trying these serious drugs for the first time. Hell, I didn't know I was an "angry drunk" until I got effed up for the first time and got into a fight. The same thing will happen with drugs. All the while, you'll still have people selling it in the streets. All you're doing by legalizing it and trying to control it, is giving more people access to it and amplifying the problem.

Honestly, I dont agree with it at all. Legalization of drugs will lead to increased violence and increased deaths. Whether you believe it or not. Millions of people who have never tried drugs before, and have no idea how they will react, are going to be trying these serious drugs for the first time. Hell, I didn't know I was an "angry drunk" until I got effed up for the first time and got into a fight. The same thing will happen with drugs. All the while, you'll still have people selling it in the streets. All you're doing by legalizing it and trying to control it, is giving more people access to it and amplifying the problem.

+1. They'll actually be spending more time and money trying to enforce the controlling of it than they are now trying to fight it.

Not to mention, drug addicts that have children. If drugs aren't illegal, the authorities won't step in and remove the children from the home.

It's like saying, "Well, we can't fight this, let's just legalize it instead. Hooray!" (bang)

+2

Not to mention, drug addicts that have children. If drugs aren't illegal, the authorities won't step in and remove the children from the home.

+1

There is nothing okay about legalizing more mind-altering substances. Too many people are killed each year by drunk drivers. What we really need is to make it easy and legal to obtain some really nasty stuff. (headshake If it were up to me alcohol would not be sold where it could be consumed. I would miss a Dos Equis with my Mexican food, or wine with my dinner, but it would make it much less likely that someone get behind the wheel with too much in their system. One of my co-workers cars was hit by a drunk driver and he had had to have several surgeries just to walk again. Thats the good part of the story... The tragedy is that his only child was killed in the accident. He will never be the same, his life is forever changed for the worse because someone didn't know their limit. The person that hit him didn't do it maliciously. It was an error in judgement caused by a substance known for causing errors in judgement. I want my daughter to live a wonderful, long life. Lets keep each other safe and fight the use and distribution of killer chemicals (drugs damage users and users can make mistakes) rather than just accept defeat.

Last edited:
It's like saying, "Well, we can't fight this, let's just legalize it instead. Hooray!" (bang)

For a second I thought you were talking about Obama's immigration reform ideas. :)

"Well s***, we can't make 'em leave, so let's make 'em all legal!"

For a second I thought you were talking about Obama's immigration reform ideas. :)

"Well s***, we can't make 'em leave, so let's make 'em all legal!"

LOL!

I don't think they realize that permission does not equal victory.

If they make it legal, they can say the didn't lose the fight. (headshake

Strongly Agree Jen. It doesnt matter if you you have done this before or havnt. Keeping it illegal and fighting this is really the safest way to go about it. The war on drugs will never end as there is no cap to the supply. BUT, I would rather live in a nation that doesnt tolerate it, and will continue fighting it for my safety as well as everyone elses.
Legalizing it would only turn this country upside down. Our morals and beliefs would be greatly effected.

This is a big topic I love talking about things like this that bring out peoples ethics and morals.

The way LEAP put their principles I do not know if they are wanting to legalize soft drugs or all drugs. can someone please clarify that for me?
Some drugs like meth I would not want to see meth legalized ever and thing it should be fought.

I think there main goal is the legalization of marijuana. At least thats the only drug I would like to see on the streets. Its already decriminalized and should become a a taxed item, kinda like liquor.

If that is the case then I would not mind that. I see marijuana as the only drug that I could tolerate. For once the harmful effects are less than that of meth, cocaine etc. It can be contained unlike drugs in which needles are used and spread disease.
I even did a paper on it once just for the hell of it saying we should legalize it. (whistle)
I also want to say that I have never used any illegal drugs not even marijuana and don't plan to use it ever. I say that because many times people just assume that because you want it legal means you have or want to use it.

I just hope people can be responsible but that might be to much to ask. As with anything though it ends up that 10% of people end up mess it up for 90% of the people.

I am sorry for your friends loss pope. you have a valid point. Marijuana does alter the mind state in a way that might cause harmful effects to anyone anywhere. But does it mean we have the right to prohibit everyone from using it if they do so in their own home responsibly ?

I think there main goal is the legalization of marijuana. At least thats the only drug I would like to see on the streets. Its already decriminalized and should become a a taxed item, kinda like liquor.

As much as I don't have a strong opinion for or against marijuana, I think even policing that would cost too much money for the gub'ment. If people can grow it in their own homes, the gov't can't really tax it or oversee its production.

I also want to say that I have never used any illegal drugs not even marijuana and don't plan to use it ever. I say that because many times people just assume that because you want it legal means you have or want to use it.

Me too. Never used it, don't care too even if it were legal.

Marijuana does alter the mind state in a way that might cause harmful effects to anyone anywhere. But does it mean we have the right to prohibit everyone from using it if they do so in their own home responsibly ?

I think if it were legalized, it should be treated like drinking alcohol. If you drive under the influence, you suffer the consequences.

I think if it were legalized, it should be treated like drinking alcohol. If you drive under the influence, you suffer the consequences.

This already happens. When I got rear ended by a guy who was high as a kite, they charged him with a DUI.

This already happens. When I got rear ended by a guy who was high as a kite, they charged him with a DUI.

Yeah, I know that. I'm just saying, it's a mind-altering substance and should be enforced as such. :)

Gotcha. Either way, legalizing ANY drug is a bad idea. It might sound good to legalize it and tax the crap out of it; but that only opens the door for people growing it secretly to avoid paying taxes. Which would be a crime. Its a lose-lose situation.

As much as I don't have a strong opinion for or against marijuana, I think even policing that would cost too much money for the gub'ment. If people can grow it in their own homes, the gov't can't really tax it or overseeits production.
California's been doing it since 96. They make 14 billion (and rising) a year off it and its become there number one cash crop. Might I add, thats for Medical marijuana.

Back