Lateral Link Bolt Play

salguod

Mr. T'bird
Working through the loose rear suspension on my daughter's new to us 2003 LX. The problem was excessive play at the lateral link to knuckle joint. The bolt that goes through the two links and the knuckle was worn at the knuckle and there was a lot of R-L movement effectively giving the car 3 wheel steering, only the LR wheel wasn't really controlled by anything. :-D

I've got two new lateral links for the driver's rear plus the bolt that goes through them and the knuckle. Because the bolt was worn where it passes through the knuckle, I'm trying to determine if the knuckle is worn too. There isn't obvious wear on the hole like there is on the bolt, but the new bolt still has a decent amount of play in the hole. It seems similar, though, to the play between the new bolt and the bushing in the new lateral link.

Anyone who's changed a lateral link, how much play should there be between the bolt and the knuckle?

Hmm, this is more of a slide it in with one finger and wiggle it around a little kinda fit. It would seem that, not surprisingly, I've got wear in the knuckle too.

Woman I bought it from had driven it for a long time like this, I guess. I asked her if she had a mechanic diagnose why it wandered so bad and she said "I just thought it was old."

Thanks.

Mechanic said that it was fine, he put it back together with the new bolt & lateral links and it drives great now.

Mechanics say stuff is "fine' hoping that when it's no longer "fine" they get return customers ;)

Yeah, I'm a little concerned that it will only be fine for a while. For now, there's no problem with how it drives. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I've got to get under there soon to replace the stabilizer links, so I plan on inspecting everything then.

Back