Koni FSD shocks

mazdadude, any updates on these?

UPS Delivered my Koni's last night! (birthday)

I am currently working with my install guru to get an appointment for installation. I will make sure to get some pics of the Koni's side by side with the O.E.'s, as well as some physical dimension comparisons.

Yes we all will be waiting for your pics and measurements. Will the car height change with these heavier duty struts?

Height would only change if he was getting new springs as well... looking forward to hearing how the FSD's handle and ride!

Yes we all will be waiting for your pics and measurements. Will the car height change with these heavier duty struts?

Car height will remain the same, as I am keeping the stock springs to preserve ride quality.

Hey guys,

I have a Mazda3 hb. I just had these installed today. They are definately an upgrade to the standard struts/shocks.

Ride is definately tighter and bumps....wow!!!

One small problem...one of my struts spring a leak in shipment or something.... A call to the distributor here in Eastern Ontario, had me do a RMA (return merchandise authorization) so I could get an advanced replacement.

I had my mechanic replace the other 3 and will have the last replaced as soon as it arrives. So far with the 3, I already see a marked improvement.

@ Mazdadude: hope you enjoy them!

Mazdadude, any updates?

Update: The box is getting dusty.

My mechanic is booked up still, but I am coming closer to the front of the line. Yes, sure I can get them installed at any old place, but I have a best friend who is an awesome Master Ford and Toyota tech, who will do it for me for free, if I help him fix his laptop. (2thumbs) Another plus is that he also has a Mazda5 for his family, so I am sure he is eager so check out the before/after for himself.

Here is the best I can do for now!(nuts)

P7130156.JPG

Last edited:
Car height will remain the same, as I am keeping the stock springs to preserve ride quality.

1. I don't think you'll see much change, because he's keeping the springs stock... as said the above.

2. Go ahead and post some pics, before and after pics would be best.

I'd like to see how it turned out?
Peace!(rei)

Finally got these installed over the weekend! What a difference!(friday)

At 60k miles, both of the Factory OEM rear shocks showed signs of having leaked out some of the fluid. When compared on the bench to the new KONIS's, both of the old Mazda OEM front struts took 5 times as long for the strut rod to extend back out after being compressed, looking as if they had lost most of their internal gas pressure.

So far, a few traits that were bugging me before, have now been lost. Before, the car seemed very uneasy in any sort of crosswind, or at freeway speeds. In addition I had a clunking noise that was coming from the rear of the car that is now silenced. Honestly, the car feels like new again, and I can not wait to try out the cornering capabilities.

Finally got these installed over the weekend! What a difference!(friday)

At 60k miles, both of the Factory OEM rear shocks showed signs of having leaked out some of the fluid. When compared on the bench to the new KONIS's, both of the old Mazda OEM front struts took 5 times as long for the strut rod to extend back out after being compressed, looking as if they had lost most of their internal gas pressure.

So far, a few traits that were bugging me before, have now been lost. Before, the car seemed very uneasy in any sort of crosswind, or at freeway speeds. In addition I had a clunking noise that was coming from the rear of the car that is now silenced. Honestly, the car feels like new again, and I can not wait to try out the cornering capabilities.

Great How did it go? Was it a big project? How was all your suspension joints? What else needed replacement at 60K?

Great How did it go? Was it a big project? How was all your suspension joints? What else needed replacement at 60K?

Not a big project, my mechanic buddy used a shop wall mounted strut compressor to remove the old struts. Much nicer than trying to use the suicide spring compressors that the shade-tree mechanics have to use.

My mechanic also complemented the Mazda shock mount design on the rear, as it is not necessary to pull the interior panels to access the upper shock mounts. Everything is accessible from under the car.

The only items that we saw that were worn or need replacing are the lower stabilizer links, as the boots were torn on both the driver and passenger sides. I will take that up with the Mazda dealer and see if they will replace them under my extended factory warranty.(rules)

Did I mention how awesome the car feels now? After the test drive, I wanted to kiss the mechanic, (kiss) but I gave him a man-hug instead. The car is balanced very well now, and I don't feel like I am sacrificing comfort for performance.

Last edited:
Back