kind of odd CX-9 vs CX-7

I have a CX-7 GT with the luxury package (in Canada) and I mostly use mid octane gas instead of the premium. Will this cause me any problems?

Just use high octane, really save yourself some of the trouble and possible repair costs, and the difference from 89 to 91 is really not worth it.

my mom uses 87 in hers :(

supposedly they're no longer required to use 89/91/93 cause they retarded the ignition so much (why it makes 244hp and not 274 or 263hp like the ms6/ms3) and its safe to use regular.

i believe it... although all cars do better with premium.

I thought it was because of a smaller turbo, and yes in the 2008 models regular is fine, but I hope people buying used CX-7's don't get abused ones, this regular octane nonsense is not good.

I thought it was because of a smaller turbo, and yes in the 2008 models regular is fine, but I hope people buying used CX-7's don't get abused ones, this regular octane nonsense is not good.

meh, i think they'll be okay. like i said, the ignition timing being retarded so much for a less aggressive tune allows for it.

no smaller turbo. all 3 cars use the exact same motor, just different tunes :)

I'm positive they have different turbo sizes because CP-E mentioned the terrible drop off of boost after 5K and suggested that we install the speed6 turbo on the CX with the standback.

Last edited:
I'm positive they have different turbo sizes because CP-E mentioned the terrible drop off of boost after 5K and suggested that we install the speed6 turbo on the CX with the standback.

the ms3/ms6 falls off after 5k too?

i think they were referring to the hybrid turbo that they were going to build but are now going a different route.

and you wouldn't have to step up to the standback on a ms3/ms6 turbo swap, even if they were different.

Well, with everyone's help it looks like we have a definitive answer on the turbo! According to the information Scott sent me, and the video otnielarencibia posted, it sounds like the turbo in the CX7 has a smaller A/R ratio. The theory behind the A/R ratio is explained in the video, but it greatly influences a turbocharger's operating range. So you guys would gain a fair amount of power if you guys got a hold of a used SPEED3/6 turbocharger. Since a lot of those folks are replacing their turbos with the ATP GT series units, you can probably pick them up cheap if you were to check out some messageboard classified ads.

I just wanted to thank all the people who sent info to me or posted up info here. Consider that without your help we would have spent days trying to figure out what the difference between the turbos is. So thanks to everyone! With this new information (new to us at least) we can make more educated decisions about which products we should pursue for you guys.

Jordan
They might be the same turbochargers, but they are different.

Last edited:
Back