KF CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation coming to EU

Until few big shots come up with the real thing. Cheaper and still cheerful all-electric something that beats crap out of any advanced gasoline engine in 0-60 or any other gangsta measure. And gives you 300+ miles on the charge. And leases for about the same, providing maintenance, etc... Then that will be the end of it. Mazda will stick to it's ultimately advanced gas power train. And lose it. Because they want to do just that- stick to the gas...

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

It's time some of you snap out of it. This fixation on fuel economy is not the driver for these new engines. You might have a stay of execution for four years but as soon as somebody sensible gets in, you'll be back on the environmental bandwagon.

I don't even think this is about fuel economy. Mazda is a performance brand, no? The best handling in class that will be ultimately outclassed with an electric engine at some point. It will be, just a matter of more efficient battery.

It's time some of you snap out of it. This fixation on fuel economy is not the driver for these new engines. You might have a stay of execution for four years but as soon as somebody sensible gets in, you'll be back on the environmental bandwagon.

I know this ain't directed towards me, I've never been on that bandwagon. I couldn't careless about Fuel economy, nor emissions. Hell, we don't even have emissions in my state, I can run cat delete pipes and there is no inspection to pass.

Feel economy is important but what the petrol engine needs is more power and torque. This one doesn't add a whole lot to both

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't even think this is about fuel economy. Mazda is a performance brand, no? The best handling in class that will be ultimately outclassed with an electric engine at some point. It will be, just a matter of more efficient battery.

No. They are a volume car maker and they are out to compete with other volume car makers. If you want a performance car from Mazda you should probably choose a MX-5 which is the nearest they do.

As for powere and torque, if you were to sit in with the development engineers, you would see that their hands are tied because the global demands that steer their forthcoming cars is driven by emissions. I'm not a tree hugger but I get it, we can't go on polluting the atmosphere at the rate we do. Some manufacturers are turning to small high power 3 cylinder engines others to hybrid and battery. You can buy a large multi cylinder BMW or Mercedes in Europe but boy do you get taxed on it. In Europe, you can't just build a highway, it has to be designed around noise and emissions so they have to devise ways of controlling traffic speed and spacing - that's a road, not a car. The race is on to get rid of internal combustion engines and any development work for mass production cars will be towards clean engines, not power or torque. You WERE well on the way to matching these requirements in the US before you know who intervened but in about another 3.5 years or less you will be back on track.

No. They are a volume car maker and they are out to compete with other volume car makers. If you want a performance car from Mazda you should probably choose a MX-5 which is the nearest they do.

As for powere and torque, if you were to sit in with the development engineers, you would see that their hands are tied because the global demands that steer their forthcoming cars is driven by emissions. I'm not a tree hugger but I get it, we can't go on polluting the atmosphere at the rate we do. Some manufacturers are turning to small high power 3 cylinder engines others to hybrid and battery. You can buy a large multi cylinder BMW or Mercedes in Europe but boy do you get taxed on it. In Europe, you can't just build a highway, it has to be designed around noise and emissions so they have to devise ways of controlling traffic speed and spacing - that's a road, not a car. The race is on to get rid of internal combustion engines and any development work for mass production cars will be towards clean engines, not power or torque. You WERE well on the way to matching these requirements in the US before you know who intervened but in about another 3.5 years or less you will be back on track.
I've read somewhere that they can only do so much with turbocharging and small capacity. They are now moving to larger capacity Motors with turbos. In Mazda's​ case that already got the 2.5L T that could be dropped right into the engine bay

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yup VW came out saying that the downsizing is done. If you look at the new 2.0T B-cycle for the 2018 Tiguan you're seeing that. Power output is more on par with the 1.8T but better fuel efficiency. Or that's kind of like Mazda's 2.5T power wise being somewhat similar to the 2.0T Ecoboost from Ford but again better efficiency.

Yup VW came out saying that the downsizing is done. If you look at the new 2.0T B-cycle for the 2018 Tiguan you're seeing that. Power output is more on par with the 1.8T but better fuel efficiency. Or that's kind of like Mazda's 2.5T power wise being somewhat similar to the 2.0T Ecoboost from Ford but again better efficiency.

Now if the only developed the 2.5T more and added it to more products instead of having this cylinder shut down version of the 2.5L.....

I think if they really want to be competitive with the more premium brands like BMW, Audi, and so on they need to have the more powerful engine option available. They're definitely there on refinement at this point IMO.

I wonder how much the engine response will be negatively affected by having cylinder deactivation in the new engine. It only is a 4 cylinder engine to start with. If they can keep the same responsiveness of the current 2.5L NA engine, that will be impressive.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to add it to a 4 cylinder engine, but I understand why they're doing it. They have to meet the fuel economy/emission targets set by the governments of countries on which they sell their cars. If they don't, then they won't be able to sell cars and that is bad for business and bad for us.

I wonder how much the engine response will be negatively affected by having cylinder deactivation in the new engine. It only is a 4 cylinder engine to start with. If they can keep the same responsiveness of the current 2.5L NA engine, that will be impressive.

I'm not sure it is a good idea to add it to a 4 cylinder engine, but I understand why they're doing it. They have to meet the fuel economy/emission targets set by the governments of countries on which they sell their cars. If they don't, then they won't be able to sell cars and that is bad for business and bad for us.

If its "smarts" are up to scratch then in theory it should not be noticeable when cylinders deactivate and then re-activate.

If its "smarts" are up to scratch then in theory it should not be noticeable when cylinders deactivate and then re-activate.
My guess is, Mazda won't be releasing this new engine to the public if it significantly lessens engine responsiveness. Of course we'll have to wait and see how it goes. While I'm looking forward to SkyActiv2 and HCCI, I'm actually waiting to see when they will put the 2.5T engine into other cars in their lineup. I would have expected them to pursue this more than adding cylinder deactivation.

Anyway, if the SkyActiv2 improvements are good enough, they might not need to put the 2.5T engine into their other cars. Take for example the new Toyota engines for the new Camry. If I'm not mistaken, they are making at least 200 horsepower on a 2.5 engine, with a very high compression ratio similar to Mazda's 2.5 engine. I have a feeling that this new Toyota engine is a result of their tech/research partnership with Mazda. The takeaway here is that if Toyota can make 200 horsepower on a 2.5 engine, the SkyActiv2 2.5 engine from Mazda would most likely make similar numbers. As long as the new Mazda's don't gain any weight, 200 horsepower should make it even more fun.

Last edited:
My guess is, Mazda won't be releasing this new engine to the public if it significantly lessens engine responsiveness. Of course we'll have to wait and see how it goes. While I'm looking forward to SkyActiv2 and HCCI, I'm actually waiting to see when they will put the 2.5T engine into other cars in their lineup. I would have expected them to pursue this more than adding cylinder deactivation.

Anyway, if the SkyActiv2 improvements are good enough, they might not need to put the 2.5T engine into their other cars. Take for example the new Toyota engines for the new Camry. If I'm not mistaken, they are making at least 200 horsepower on a 2.5 engine, with a very high compression ratio similar to Mazda's 2.5 engine. I have a feeling that this new Toyota engine is a result of their tech/research partnership with Mazda. The takeaway here is that if Toyota can make 200 horsepower on a 2.5 engine, the SkyActiv2 2.5 engine from Mazda would most likely make similar numbers. As long as the new Mazda's don't gain any weight, 200 horsepower should make it even more fun.

It is coming to Europe later this year. So obviously it's good enough.

Think SkyActiv 2 and HCCI will be one in the same motor otherwise pointless to have 2 completely different engine types.

The 2.5 in the Camry currently makes 181bhp here but its torque figures are lower than the CX-5 (175lb/ft for Camry) and AFAIK when the new model arrives, these figures will be the same as they are concentrating more on the hybrid and V6.

I would love for the 2.5L turbo to go across more of the range but my thinking is they are holding off as the torque figures for both the 2.5L T and 2.2 D are identical thereby making it a bit pointless to have both engines in the same vehicle. I hope I am wrong though with this thinking.

It is coming to Europe later this year. So obviously it's good enough.

Think SkyActiv 2 and HCCI will be one in the same motor otherwise pointless to have 2 completely different engine types.

The 2.5 in the Camry currently makes 181bhp here but its torque figures are lower than the CX-5 (175lb/ft for Camry) and AFAIK when the new model arrives, these figures will be the same as they are concentrating more on the hybrid and V6.

I would love for the 2.5L turbo to go across more of the range but my thinking is they are holding off as the torque figures for both the 2.5L T and 2.2 D are identical thereby making it a bit pointless to have both engines in the same vehicle. I hope I am wrong though with this thinking.
It should be good enough.

Maybe Toyota in Australia is a little more conservative, but they are releasing new engines here in North America. Their new 2.5 engine makes significant increases in horsepower and torque while also increasing fuel efficiency. This gives me hope that Mazda will attain similar advances when their SkyActiv2 engine comes out.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/camry/2018/2018-toyota-camry-first-drive-review/

Last edited:
It should be good enough.

Maybe Toyota in Australia is a little more conservative, but they are releasing new engines here in North America. Their new 2.5 engine makes significant increases in horsepower and torque while also increasing fuel efficiency. This gives me hope that Mazda will attain similar advances when their SkyActiv2 engine comes out.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/camry/2018/2018-toyota-camry-first-drive-review/

I think you are right. All the signs point to same power and torque figures for 2.5 Camry. At any rate, I consider Camry's white goods/applicances Driven plenty and they are boring. Don't see this changing much with the new generation.

My guess is the new Mazda engines (SkyActiv2/HCCI) will have more power and torque figures when they eventually get released late next year and hopefully the next version of the CX-5 gets them.

Back