keyless start up (can it be done?)

Mick

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
More n00b questions from Mick!!

Has anyone ever tried to fabricate a keyless start up system? I think it would be so cool to walk into the car, and push a button to start her up. I checked the how-to, but no dice. Can it be done? Well, i guess i shouldnt ask if it can be done (of course it can be done) but instead, is this a semi-reasonable job to take on? What would be involved?

Edit: I would still want the security of a key though. Maybe if i were set up where a key would have to be inserted, but then after that all you have to do is push a button. Somthing like that would be cool. Obviously i wouldnt want to do this for convenience, i just want it to look cool and to fee completely 007 when i push the button.

I envision getting in the car, inserting the key into the normal ignition, then reaching toward the center consol (unter my aftermarket HU where ther is some free space) and pushing a big fat button to start her up.

Last edited:
Yes, it can be done. But ask yourself seriously, would you want someone to break your window, get in your car, push the button and drive away? Probably not.

My pushbutton start works like the s2k (it is Ignited brand). You put the key in, turn to "on", press the clutch in, and push the button.

Yes, it can be done. But ask yourself seriously, would you want someone to break your window, get in your car, push the button and drive away? Probably not.

My pushbutton start works like the s2k (it is Ignited brand). You put the key in, turn to "on", press the clutch in, and push the button.

Oh, i know, hahah!! thats what im talking about. I guess i should have clarified. I do still want/need to have a key or somthing for security, but pushing a button to start it up just has a james bond kinda feel to it. Regardless of the fact that i would have to put in a key, it would be cool.

Mick said:
Oh, i know, hahah!! thats what im talking about. I guess i should have clarified. I do still want/need to have a key or somthing for security, but pushing a button to start it up just has a james bond kinda feel to it. Regardless of the fact that i would have to put in a key, it would be cool.

Well, then your answer is YES, IT CAN BE DONE.

Do a search for "push button start" and my picture might still be up somewhere.

Rdshark1 said:

How much and did you do it yourself?

InFlames said:
How much and did you do it yourself?

Oooof...It's been a while...I think maybe 30-40 bucks for the button and my electronics guy put it in when he did the alarm system ($100 for the alarm, $0 for the button I guess).

The button from Ignited comes with installation instructions. Over on Miata.net there is a pretty good writeup on how they install the s2k buttons in the cigarette lighters in Miatas...(rei)

Buy the alarm remote start, it will start with the alarm remote and you can start it from far away if you just want to look cool there you go. You still need the key to unlock the wheel but someone can break the steering colum, on my car it will only start with the e-brake up so it turns of when my friends try to move the car. Yes I have a big group of dumb-ass friends. They thinks it's funny, if I leave the key they'd probably hide somewhere.

Last edited:
hmmm, i guess i was more hoping for a good "how-to" but you know what? Ill have to start doing things on my own sooner or later, and this certainly doesnt seem like a hard thing to start out with. Maybe ill give it a shot myself soon...

this is an extremely easy mod to do yourself, i did it one sunny afternoon in my driveway, and i must stress i am no guru when it comes to wiring, but mine works perfectly.

main things u need: Ignited push button start, some 12 gauge wire (i used radio shack spools of red and black) and a some screwdrivers, and of course a wire splicer of some sort.

http://protege5.ugly.net/ for any assistance removing ur interior trim
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/wire/2003_P5_Wire_guide.txt provides u with the color codes for the wires u need to splice into.
They are the ignition wire, and both starter wires.
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=148597 also helped me along with this install, while the car is different the principles remain the same.

just take ur time and be patient

Like this?

Attachments

• startbutton01.jpg
    startbutton01.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 175
thanks for all the info guys. At first, even with the wiring charts, i was kinda nervous. But its been simmering up in my head for a while now and i think this may be my first real mod for my car.

Just gotta find a button i like. It will be hard cuz im REALLY picky hahahaa!

Back