keyless entry and general lock questions

Disco Dan

:
Mazda Protege5
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Protege5 (manual) with all of the usual maladies (A/C switch issues, rust on the panels, bad valve stem seals).

Years ago, my fob stopped locking and unlocking the doors, and then the driver side door cylinder stopped electronically locking and unlocking the doors or arming and disarming the alarm. The passenger side key cylinder only unlocks all of the doors. Let me put this in a list to clarify the issue:

Key fob:
All buttons: nothing. Battery is new.

Driver-side door cylinder:
Counter-clockwise: unlocks only driver-side door.
Clockwise: Locks only driver-side door.
Double turn, hold, or some other combination of right and left turns: locks or unlocks only the driver-side door.

Passenger-side door cylinder:
Clockwise: Unlocks all doors.
Counter-clockwise: locks only the passenger-side door.
Double turn, hold, or some other combination of right and left turns: locks only passenger side, or unlocks all doors.

Lock/Unlock button on driver side:
Locks and unlocks all doors.

So currently, if I want to unlock all of the doors, I open the driver door and push the button, or I go to the passenger side first, and turn the key and that unlocks the doors. To lock them all, I have to open the driver door and push the button. That's the only way to lock all of the doors electronically, currently. This is getting more and more difficult with small kids and groceries.

I've looked at the troubleshooting in section 19-14 of the manual and it is extensive.

I'm wondering if there's a quick way to determine which modules are to blame. Also, is there a way to determine whether my fob is bad or the receiver is bad? I've tried programming it following the flowchart on here, and all works well until I actually press a button on the fob, and then nothing happens, so I don't know if the the fault is with the fob or the receiver.

I realize this is kind of a big, vague question, so if no one gets to it, I'll slowly make my way through the troubleshooting, but the small children I mentioned earlier are making car repair time briefer and briefer.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Back