"KEY" on dash

ms6z

:
2006 MS6 GT
Before i take it to the dealer, anyone has this problem?? This morning when i started my car with the key, inside the credit card like, it starts normally. I looked at my dash and it showed the Red "KEY" symbol with the engine on. This is the first time it happened. Any help would greatly appreciate!

it might mean your battery is dying.. the senser didnt pick up the key card for a sec.. mine is doing it all the time now.. sometimes wont even unlock the doors lol.. its really easy to take out and batteries are like 5 bucks :) hopefully thats all yours is

read the owners manual. It says what all the various symbols mean - that little key symbol can glow solid red, flash red, glow solid green, and flash green. They all mean something different.
-a

I replaced the battery a month ago when i bought the car. Not sure if it's the battery but i'll try a new battery and see what happens. In the manual book, it says to take it to the dealer and don't use the keyless card to start the car.

you may need a new antenna (in the doors/trunk). i had to have 2 replaced in mine. supposedly the new version is waterproof, but basically water gets into it and it freezes and shorts out.

crap I bought mine, and it was fine for a month or so, then sometimes i couldnt open by pushing the button.
just all of a sudden i noticed sometimes the key on sometimes no.
I would try to press the button and nothing. then i go over shut the door press the keyless button once or twice and BANM the doorhandle button works again.

WHAT THE HELL???? lol

When i had that problem, it was the trunk sensor, whatever one it is the dealer should cover it. I found out mine was bad when it wouldn't let me open the door and i had 4 coffees in my hand and the key was in my wallet in my purse... and it was about 5 degrees out

^Lol that sucks, thats a crappy time to find out.
well i kinda trouble shooted mine, and yeah i think its the trunk sensor as well. cause i unlock all the doors open the trunk and close it.
and BANM! all the buttons work again.
I wonder what causes this problem?

Did the dealer tell you??

It's just like Wannabe said, moisture gets in through the original weather seals and causes problems. Looks like the problem is most commonly the rear keyless antenna which sits kind of exposed up inside the rear bumper. I remember reading that mazda just replaces the antenna if it's corroded or shorted and adds some silicone sealant to the lead wires to prevent it from happening again.

Ya, they just told me it was a poor design on mazdas part, he told me the new one he put in should last better but that slamming the trunk will effect it - it will probably end up one of those recall parts on cars you have to fix every few months, haha

^ wow LOL your amazing.
LOL so i was like yeah ill take it to the dealer on friday
But now its been working fine. the light is gone and the buttons are working fine.

Than i realized that my buddy SLAMMED the trunk so hard. and when i read what you said, i figured that it was it.

So no problems, ill prolly but some RTV glue or silcone to protect it from weather better, and holds better.

Thanks for all your help and input.

Back