Keeping it Clean and Sparkling

CXRabbit

:
2009 CX-9 TR +Kenwood DNX7020EX
Being in a colder winter climate I was on the search for a solution to keeping the car clean without having to always wash it. I found an amazing product that works exactly as advertised and wow, is it easy to do. The car wash is fine once in a while but it can get expensive, and they don't apply any kind of protectant or wax (without paying a small fortune).

It's called Mary Moppins Advantage...
"Finally, you can put a show room shine on any vehicle without paying the cost of show room polishes. Advantage, made exclusively for the Mary Moppins Company, washes and protects your vehicle in one quick step."

I used it on my Crystal Pearl White CX-7 today and it came out amazing. Not only is it nice and clean, but it looks like it's been polished AND it leaves a nice slick surface so you know it's going to stay cleaner longer.

I'm not usually one to praise a product so strongly, but anyone who wants to keep their car in good shape, protect their paint, and have it be fairly EASY, I'd recommend this one without a doubt. It's also silicone- and petroleum distillate-free which is apparently important with post 2003/4 cars.

I use terry-cloth towels or 100% cotton baby diapers to clean and buff. DO NOT use microfiber... you'll end up with swirl marks.

For the glass I use Invisible Glass -- it virtually streak-free (god, I hate streaks on my windows and windex SUCKS). Microfiber cloth is fine for this... and lint free!

For the leather, so far I've used Armor All Leather Wipes -- I'm open to suggestions in this area. I use the wipe and then rub out excess and rub in with cotton baby diaper.

For the interior I simply use Armor All Cleaning Wipes and a cotton baby diaper to wipe off excess.

I'll be buying a box of those LCD cleaner pads to keep in the car. In the meantime I grabbed some from work. The finger prints are enough to drive a person like me crazy :)

Anyone else have suggestions to offer?

(psst. Really... buy the Advantage stuff... it's amazing)

Wow! Does this Advantage stuff really work without water? Seems like it if your vehicle is very dirty that the dirt would scratch the paint. Did you see any sign of that when you used it?

If this stuff works what a great way to clean/protect your car all in one step... What about the black trim on the CX-7 along the bottom on each side? Did you clean it with product as well?

that's garbage IMO. without water, no good, i own a detail business on the side, best for your car is to wash it and wax as least as possible, but without doing these 2, it's hard to keep it looking good. if u have to, use mother's wash w/ NEW or clean sponge, new or clean chamois, better if u have access to blower. for polish/wax, we use ZAINO, best stuff on the planet. for less $ black magic, mother's products work well too...always use new microfiber rags or cleaned ones on paint surface...

If you're car is really dirty, probably best to run it through the car wash or wash it yourself with soap and water (and 100% lambs wool) first. The Advantage stuff is good for maintenance cleaning and protecting when you'll be trying to keep it clean more regularly.

My car had about two weeks worth of dirt on her (including some rainy day splatter). You spray first, so you're not just rubbing the dirt around dry and I saw no evidence of scratching -- and I wouldn't expect there to be any unless there was some serious mud or salt on the car (in which case, better to wash with soap/water first). I cleaned my car completely with it -- took about 40 minutes for the entire exterior... and I could FEEL the difference from the parts I had cleaned with Advantage vs. the parts not yet done. Running the towel over the newly clean part it was slick and smooth - like not resistence - over the not-yet-treated area the towel "stuck" a bit.

I kinda see this as a way to keep my car clean without having to hit the car wash every two weeks... but if it gets really dirty I'll still use soap and water. It's not like I'll give up water-washes complete... this will just help keep her cleaner longer and easier (I'd expect other than in winter, I'll have to do much less water-washing). Remember, when you're done using the Advantage stuff it leaves a protective layer on your car, which will also help keep it clean and prevent scratching when cleaning in the future.

I'll have to give you and update a few months down the road on how it will be over the long haul ;)

Njcx7,

Microfiber is about the worst thing to use on newer cars. It will scratch your paint over the long term (it's synthetic, and essentially plastic). When I've actually PAID a detailer I tell them NO microfiber. Mother's products are decent, I've had them in the past, but some of them have silicone. You should at least give the Advantage a try before calling it garbage. I'm not saying to give up washing completely... this is for the times in between. And when I do water-washing, I'll treat with Advantage afterwards.

Last edited:
You can get the same thing at autozone for $5, it is made by eagle one, works great and leaves a silky shine, I am very careful about getting swirls on my car and haven't had a problem, I think it makes swirls less visible and leaves the car protected. I do use microfiber towels, I am not sure why you would think they would leave swirls on your car, they are much softer than terry cloth.

They appear softer but they are made out of mostly polyester, which is plastic. Car manufacturers in the last few years have change the paint they use and it is softer. Over time, microfiber can leave swirl marks and even scratch your paint.

I have stuff I bought from Autozone... a few different brands... and it is not as good. Also, you have to be careful of the ingredients. Things like silicone and petroleum distillates can damage your paint over the long haul.

Yea..I bought some microfiber towels and not too happy....rather use an old t-shirt or something. I am a nut and always like my car clean. I just in between washes use a spray mist if there's not too much dirt on it. I have tried different shine products and yet to find one that gives it that super shiny polished look. Although others have asked me how I get it so shiny....just not up to my standards I guess. I am using a Black Magic spray mist now. Having trouble with windows streaks even with my vinegar water method...hmmm....never had this issue. I use Aerospace stuff for no shine interior cleaning. Don't like Armor All leather wipes and want a better product there. I use Zaino to wax when I have time. Strangest thing....I never had so much trouble getting my car perfectly clean....hard to keep this blue beauty clean....wonder why I am having trouble....after I wash it I get all kinds of smear marks even with my mist after I wash it....tried different rags etc...Waxed the car twice since I bought it 3 months ago. Just my thoughts....Keep suggestions coming...

Last edited:
Cruz, really, check out the Advantage stuff... it's no harder than the misting but it really does make the car shine nice. As long as you haven't been using a silicone product on the car, you shouldn't have a problem with streaking.

The Invisible Glass stuff... I actually forgot I had it... I had bought it a while back for my other car and it really is great for streak-free cleaning. I use a microfiber cloth for the windows and that also helps a lot... just don't use it for the rest of the car.

Agree with you about the Armor All Leather Wipes... I'd like to try something different. The people who make Advantage also make a leather cleaner/conditioner so I might try it since I'm so happy with their other stuff. I'm open for other suggestions?

Looking for a longer lasting wax...

I have been using Meguiar's 26 on my Miata for a couple of years and it seems to work pretty well but does not last very long (2-3 months). With the CX-7 and its much larger surface area I am looking for something that will last longer. Is Zaino the answer? Is it longer lasting? I welcome and appreciation any advice or suggestions on the type of wax I should use...:)

CX7andMiata said:
I have been using Meguiar's 26 on my Miata for a couple of years and it seems to work pretty well but does not last very long (2-3 months). With the CX-7 and its much larger surface area I am looking for something that will last longer. Is Zaino the answer? Is it longer lasting? I welcome and appreciation any advice or suggestions on the type of wax I should use...:)

I use Meguiars NXT on my Miata, and put it on the CX-7 for its first wax. Looks great, but only lasts 2-3 months. I'm switching to Klasse All-in-One for the CX-7's next wax, as it's supposed to be tough. Expensive, though.

You didn't mention what year Miata you have. Be careful if it's 90-97: no clearcoat! You can literally polish though the color coat quite easily. You probably knew that...

I've used microfiber to remove the wax for years on several different vehicles, and have not had any problems, but then, I don't buy the cheap stuff, and not all microfiber is the same. You need to check the tag for an content of 70-80% polyester and and no more than 30% polyamide. The cheap stuff is for kitchens and home cleaning and can damage automotive finishes and is sometimes 50/50. Here's a really good guide on microfiber, and good web site in general about detailing cars.

http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=44

I'm not conected to that site in any way other than as a member. Don't want to start any flame wars or fights, but if those guys use quality microfiber products on their show cars, Porsches, and BMWs with no problems, I think we're safe, too. As mentioned, I use a lot of Meguiar's products for washing, drying (Meguair's "Water Magnet" towels), cleaning, polishing, and waxing, microfiber applicators to put them on, and finish with a microfiber bonnet on my Porter Cable 7424 for the final glaze. For light dusting or cleaning between waxes, I use the NXT Quik Detailer with microfiber towls. No swirls. No connection with Meguiar's, either, I just like their products.

CXRabbit said:
Cruz, really, check out the Advantage stuff... it's no harder than the misting but it really does make the car shine nice. As long as you haven't been using a silicone product on the car, you shouldn't have a problem with streaking.

The Invisible Glass stuff... I actually forgot I had it... I had bought it a while back for my other car and it really is great for streak-free cleaning. I use a microfiber cloth for the windows and that also helps a lot... just don't use it for the rest of the car.

Agree with you about the Armor All Leather Wipes... I'd like to try something different. The people who make Advantage also make a leather cleaner/conditioner so I might try it since I'm so happy with their other stuff. I'm open for other suggestions?

You know I think I tried some silicone wax stuff in a silver bottle...gotta look at what it was exactly.....is that bad? I will have to try the Invisible Glass stuff. My last car was silver and much easier to keep clean.

Thanks Azcat!

My Miata is a 2000 model (hunter green) and it does have a clear coat. I also use good quality microfiber rags and have not had any issues either. Thanks also for the link it is interesting...

dread said:
is ziano hard to apply and why is it so good?

From what I hear it's not hard to apply just takes forever. It's a pretty long process, there's several procedures. But the result is you don't have to wax your car for a year usually (if you have a garage at home).

From what I've read, in the last few years the paint they use on newer cars is different and softer and you are opening yourself to scratches/swirl marks by using Microfiber. Maybe there's a difference with really good microfiber, but how can you tell the difference (that's really a question -- not me being a wise ass). What are the other options? I've been using the 100% cotton terry cloth or cloth diapers because that's what I've heard is best (non-synthetic)... and it should be something with a slight nap (loop to absorb and trap dirt).

Here's what I use and why...

No-Rinse Car Wash: Optimum No-Rinse

At first I was skeptical, but it was recommended to me by a community of detailers, so I tried it and I was impressed. It is definitely a must-have for anyone who doesn't live where they can wash their car with traditional soap. It works kinda like kitchen floor cleaner. Slop the water+solution on, then wipe dry with a towel, one section at a time. I have a silver car so I can't confirm that it leaves no streaks, but it seems to work perfectly for me. Obviously it works best if you wash your car weekly - a heavily soiled car should always be washed traditionally.

Wax/Polish: Zaino

From what I've read, this is the most popular treatment among professional detailers. I tried it, and it definitely lives up to the hype. I've tried everything from Mothers/Meguires/Turtle/etc. and Zaino leaves the wettest/deepest look. I've never felt a car so smooth in my life.

Two downsides: 1) It is expensive, and 2) The application process is lengthy. If you do it properly by claying your car first, then applying the max number of coats, it takes a good 8-10 hours. It is definitely worth it though.

Interior Protectant: 303 Aerospace Protectant

I used to be a die-hard Armor-All fan, but I've recently read that the chemicals they use aren't good for the long-term. I believed it when a car of mine which I've AA'ed religiously for 8 years recently developed a crack in the dashboard. I'm a 303 believer now. It isn't as greasy and gives a natural semi-gloss finish, and it supposed to be free of those chemicals that aren't good for the long-term.

CXRabbit said:
From what I've read, in the last few years the paint they use on newer cars is different and softer and you are opening yourself to scratches/swirl marks by using Microfiber. Maybe there's a difference with really good microfiber, but how can you tell the difference (that's really a question -- not me being a wise ass). What are the other options? I've been using the 100% cotton terry cloth or cloth diapers because that's what I've heard is best (non-synthetic)... and it should be something with a slight nap (loop to absorb and trap dirt).

Ummm...well, you need to read the web site I cited earlier, but the short story, as I mentioned earlier, is to read the tag on the cloth--80/20 or 70/30, but no less, is ok for automotive finishes. 60/40 or less is not. Either way, you're going to have to read something.

Diapers? Never. Even though they say, "100% cotton," the thread they use to stitch them together is a hard synthetic. That's right...plastic! (gasp!) (shocked)

There are NO plastic/sythetic threads in cloth diaper rags... because there's nothing "sewn together". But something that is 80/20 or 70/30 is still 80% or 70% polyester, which IS plastic. I'm not saying that by default it makes them bad, but what I've read about new car paint is that it will eventually scratch it. When microfiber first came out, there were warnings right on the package not using them on any kind of sealed or painted surface.

I can't argue with your link, but your "expert" and my "expert" differ on this...

"Caution: Industrial paint and sealant manufacturers warn against washing your vehicle with the popular microfiber products. They are made from 80 to 85% polyester, which is plastic. Plastic scratches and over time and repeated use they will scratch the sealant off your coat and then start on the paint. Your car will begin oxidizing even though you have taken excellent care of your vehicle."

"Due to VOC regulations, paint is now being changed from lead based to water based. The paint is not as hard as it has been in the past. Even though sealants are applied over the paint to protect it, if the sealant is scratched off due to microfiber or the wrong kind of petroleum distillate being used in a wax, the paint is then left venerable to rapid oxidation, rust and deterioration. I sell microfiber cloths and do not want you using something that I know will damage your sealant over time. At a large industrial trade show I had microfiber manufacturing companies verify this information."

It's from the same company/person who sells Advantage, but keep in mind she ALSO sells Microfiber cloths. http://www.goclean.com/carcare.htm -- She's a cleaning "expert" -- not just cars, but RVs, boats and house stuff.

So honestly? I don't know who to believe but I do know that it makes sense that polyester doesn't sound like what I'd want to use on my car. Will I even own it long enough to care? Probably not, since most of us trade our cars in for something new every 3-5 years... and who knows, after a few months I may tire of the upkeep and do what the average joe does... go to the car wash once a month ;)

But, I'll stick with the 100% cotton for now.

Last edited:
BTW, after I replied to you I e-mailed my "expert" and she already wrote back. I don't want to post her e-mail because I don't have her permission to do so, but here is a short quote from it...

"Microfiber is made from 85% polyester. Polyester is plastic and plastic scratches. It may take 3 or 4 years but trust me it will take the finish off you car and cause it to oxidize. I had a man tell me this year at an RV rally he wished he had listened to my adivce 4 years ago. It just cost him $12,000 to have his 40 foot motorhome repainted. I can't tell you the nightmare stories I hear usually all of them at my seminars when people stand up and tell the other attendees to listen to me and then relate their horror stories like the one above."

I encourage you to write to her if you if you want more info. She told me that 100% cotton baby diapers are definitely better as long as I make sure they are 100% cotton (and most are). Terry cloth is ok, but again, needs to be 100% cotton (and a lot of them are not).

You can write to her here:
http://www.goclean.com/contactus.htm

Back