Keep or sell?

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
My 2012 Mazda5 needs new lower control arms and front shocks. I got quotes from several shops and it'll be about $1,700 for parts and labor. As a trade-in, the car is worth $2,000.

Should I keep it and fix it?

Or trade it in on a new car?

I see replacement (non-oem) parts are only $150 for the shocks/struts and $100 for the control arms online.

Last edited:
Depends on the condition of the rest of the car.
If those are the only things wrong with it and you generally like the car, fix it and keep trucking.
If there's a lot else wrong w/ it or you're already looking for a reason to get a new car, trade it in.

Keep in mind, control arms and struts are things that wear on every car and whatever you buy will eventually need those replaced too. This isn't anything unique to the mazda.

Alternatively, if you are mechanically inclined, replacing those parts isn't too crazy a job and can be done for a 1/4 of the cost in parts alone. Maybe watch some youtube videos and see if it's up your alley.

Yeah, parts are cheap if I buy them myself and I've watched several videos of replacing them on the Mazda 3, so I have a basic idea of it. I don't have the space or tools to do so however. Nothing wrong with the vehicle otherwise.

~135,000 miles on it right now. For reference: it's on the fourth set of all-season tires, second battery (about to be third), second set of brakes, second rear shocks, second rear sway bar links, second CV axles, second rack and pinion, and now second front lower control arms, front sway bar links, and front shock assemblies.

What was wrong with the lower control arms? Bushings? That seems unusual for that mileage.

~135,000 miles on it right now. For reference: it's on the fourth set of all-season tires, second battery (about to be third), second set of brakes, second rear shocks, second rear sway bar links, second CV axles, second rack and pinion, and now second front lower control arms, front sway bar links, and front shock assemblies.

Good grief, do drive that car off-road or something?

Bushings and ball joints were bad on the control arms. The roads here in Indy might as well be considered off-roading because they're so unbelievably potholed and broken. I drove the absolute snot out of it in the first couple years across the country and Canada, too.

Confirmed, also in Indy and my control arms were toast at 150K. Suspension in general needed replacement all around at 150K, think it's just under-built for the weight of the Mazda5.

My 2012 Mazda5 needs new lower control arms and front shocks. I got quotes from several shops and it'll be about $1,700 for parts and labor. As a trade-in, the car is worth $2,000.

Should I keep it and fix it?

Or trade it in on a new car?

You need to find another shop.

Just had both LCA replaced ($230 total). Beck and Arnely from Rockauto ($110 Shipped, highly recommend, thick steel, clean weld, bushing look/feel top notch, none of that greaseable ball joint gimmick, made in Taiwan, no fitment issues) + local shop install for $120 (cold =/= DIY, two guys did in under 50 mins would have taken me hours, as a bonus you are more likely able to reuse the cross member bolts ($15 each) which you are more likely going to destroy if DIY so think of it as $30 saving.

Bilstein B4 or KYB GR2/Excel G are both very cheap and better than OEM alternatives.

Really hope you find a better shop.

Last edited:
hope you won't need to do it for the 3rd time :)

The goal is to procure you own parts (and whatever accompanying bits you need to get the job done) and pay for labor, usually about ~$80/hr for indi shop. No way LCA job takes over 2hr. Now, if only there's a way to get an alignment for cheap...

I'd like to see how they itemize the bill for the $1,700 quote - that's nuts.

Last edited:
Indeed. I've yet to find a shop that will install things that I buy on my own; nobody is willing to do that. I did the rear shocks, all the brakes, and the rear sway bar links myself. If I had an enclosed garage I would have done the front work myself but it's winter and I have no place to do it.

Yeah, most shops no longer allow you to bring in parts. Even if you tell them they don't have to warranty their work...they won't touch it.

Interesting. I guess I can*t relate to that and can see you are at their mercy. Come to any metro city (Phila). Pretty much most indi shops accept you bringing stuff.

Back