Kartboy Shifter Installation Problem

MrH42

:
2002 Protege5
I did a search, but couldn't find anything on it. Maybe I'm being an idiot, but which isn't going together nearly as smooth as I thought it should.

I got the whole thing apart, took out the old shifter, and went to install the new Kartboy shifter. I can't seem to get it back together however. The upper ball seat (the white piece of plastic that helps seat the ball in place) seems to be going back on waaaaay too high. It's like a half an inch too high. I can't get it low enough to get the retaining ring back on.

I checked underneath and I'm not hitting the heat shield (I did break off one of those bolts yesterday though). I tried going underneath and pulling the shifter down to see if it could move, and it won't. It's almost as if the lower ball seat is way too high.

Anyone know what the deal is? I need to get this done soon because I have to drive tonight, and the car is currently sitting on jack stands in my drive way.

Thanks,
Mr. H

I've done this, but honestly I'm not sure what the problem is...did you look at the TWM Instructions? Is the white ring not seating around the pivot ball? I'm confused, you say "it's too high" as in the shifter sits too high or the white ring sits too high on the ball (which would make the shifter too low)?

Figured it out. I feel like a complete idiot.

Both of the white pieces were on backwards. That made the top white piece sit about 1/2" above where the retaining ring snapped in. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Got the bushings on too. I can't believe TWM's instructions say to push them out with the stud. I got fed up and just got the stupid thing up with a knife and got it out.

Back