Kart boy shifter

jayp3

I have the B&M short shifter and It sits up pretty high. I was wondering it the cart boy is the same. If any body has a picture of it instaled I would appreciate it if you could post it so I can check it out. Thanks

The Kartboy shifter has a 7% LONGER throw, but is ~1 inch shorter. I'd post a picture, but my digital camera is dead :(

Re: where?

LaZaBLuEMp3 said:
where can i order the kartboy short shifter?

Why would you want to get one? it will LENGTHEN your shift throws...not shorten it....do you NOT LIKE a short shifter that came stock in your MP3?

most people pay good money to shorten the shift throws...not lengthen them.

ArkosP5 said:
The Kartboy shifter has a 7% LONGER throw, but is ~1 inch shorter. I'd post a picture, but my digital camera is dead :(

Sir Nuke said:
Why would you want to get one? it will LENGTHEN your shift throws...not shorten it....do you NOT LIKE a short shifter that came stock in your MP3?

Arkos probably meant the Kartboy is 7% longer than the B&M shifter. I believe the Kartboy is 20% shorter than the MP3 stock shifter. I may be off...

Sir Nuke...there is a button above called Search...lol...just kidding.

Strait from www.kartboy.com

"This replacement shift lever provides a reduce height and throw for the Mazda Protege5 and MP3. The height is reduced about 2" on the Protege5, and 1" on the MP3 accordingly, the throw is reduced 35% for the Protege5 and 20% for the MP3. Installation can be performed in under an hour. This product is CNC machined from 4130 Cr-Mo Steel and TIG welded. Please note that the stock MP3 Shift Knob will not fit. Arrangements can be made for custom threading, or an aftermarket knob can be installed."

kep0ne said:

Arkos probably meant the Kartboy is 7% longer than the B&M shifter. I believe the Kartboy is 20% shorter than the MP3 stock shifter. I may be off...

Having tried both the B&M and the KartBoy shifter (In Arkos' P5), both shifters reduce the throw compared to the MP3 stock shifter. The B&M shifter sits higher than stock MP3 but has the shortest throw and feels like it requires less force to throw (but that could be because it's in MY car) than the Kartboy. Now for Kartboy, it is shorter than the stock MP3 shifter and cheaper. No one can tell you which is best for you, it all depends on what you like. When I got my shifter, I didn't have a choice, but even after the Kartboy shifter was released, I still wanted the B&M because I wanted a comfortable height with the shortest throw.

I'd been struggling with my Kartboy purchase for a while, ... it didn't quite seem like it was a short enough through. The reason for that, was that after about a day of having it in, it just seemed right, ... like it was supposed to be that short (which you would expect it to be too short for a while, not just right).

The benefit over the B&M that has got me liking the kartboy shifter more is the fact that the kartboy shifter is 1" shorter than the B&M. I really like where it sits height wise. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure what I would purchase, the single piece bushing the B&M has is nice, but the price of the Kartboy offsets that detail.

P.S. Yes, ... I meant that the Kartboy is 7% longer THAN the B&M, not longer than stock. The Kartboy reduces throws by 35% (on a P5), and the B&M reduces it by 42%.

Hey guys, just got an opportunity to buy a used kartboy short shifter locally. How does it compare to the twm shifter? To the msp stock shifter?

I'm coming from a stock p5,so anything is an improvement! There shouldn't be any problem in buying used right?

Back