K04 Reworked Turbo Owners, Please Chime In...

I've been pondering the idea of a reworked turbo... I'd rather go with a BIG turbo, but I don't feel like taking my bottom end apart just yet.

I've been searching and reading posts on the Reworked Stocker and its not very convincing. I read a lot of lost power down low, slower spool, and not much gains with stock tuning.

So whats the story with you Reworked owners? Are you happy?
Is it worth the time and money? I don't want to have to buy an EMS just to run this turbo...

Thanks!!! (2thumbs)

mine was supposed to be shipped back last friday, so hopefully i'll receive it this week sometime. once it's in and i've had time to drive it, i'll write a review.

I know alot of 2nd gen rx7 owners had their stock units upgraded, and saw some really good power gains. Im sure the turob can be reworked to some extent. Perhaps sending BNR turbos a email about upgrading would be helpful? They make one for a MSP http://www.bnrturbos.com/ProtegeMiata.htm Its alittle pricey, but the other mods to support a larger aftermarket would add up

i'm really curious about this also. any difference in spool, lag, boost drop off at 5500?

i did notice a nice gain up top, even though it does not hold boost any better than the stocker in the high rpm. i think that is due to the the throttle closing. i will be getting throttle control soon !! it does in fact lose a little on the low end, but not badly. not nearly as bad as a real big turbo. i think it is the best bang for the buck. it is not for the mild modder though. you will need supporting mods to get the most out of it.

Tru-boost u think I will get my bang for the buck? I have the cp-e downpipe catted, turbo inlet, front mount, turbosmart mbc, and cp-e intake... Do u think I should go re-worked or just bigger?

go reworked. why would you go bigger ??? everyone who does throws a rod through their block !! those who have big turbos without blowing a motor only run 16-17psi. go with the reworked unit and run 20psi all day long like me !!

go reworked. why would you go bigger ??? everyone who does throws a rod through their block !! those who have big turbos without blowing a motor only run 16-17psi. go with the reworked unit and run 20psi all day long like me !!

Yea after doing some research this is def. gunna be the route i go. Buying my house 1st tho.

Bear in mind that the purpose of both approaches is to push more air into the engine. The pressure level is only relevant when talking about changing the pressure on the same turbo. A larger turbo moves the same (or more) amount of air at a lower pressure than a small turbo does at higher pressure.

Blanket statements like "everyone who does throws a rod through their block" are inappropriate. Have you talked to every person who has gone to a larger turbo? I would wager that those who did and blew their engines had either no tune or one that was poorly done. Crank up the pressure on a small turbo without a good tune and you will probably end up with the same result.

Documents have been posted indicating that the driveshaft is the weak link in these turbos and is the reason why the throttle is closed when it is.
Does anyone know if the reworked turbos get a shaft that has a higher heat tolerance?

Bear in mind that the purpose of both approaches is to push more air into the engine. The pressure level is only relevant when talking about changing the pressure on the same turbo. A larger turbo moves the same (or more) amount of air at a lower pressure than a small turbo does at higher pressure.

Blanket statements like "everyone who does throws a rod through their block" are inappropriate. Have you talked to every person who has gone to a larger turbo? I would wager that those who did and blew their engines had either no tune or one that was poorly done. Crank up the pressure on a small turbo without a good tune and you will probably end up with the same result.
yep

the bottom line for me and our project car is that I would not even consider upgrading a turbo on this car with the tuning options that are currently available. Give this car a year and there will be plenty of 400+whp MS3s and it will be old news. Go look at Evo, Sti, WRX and SRT-4 forums when those platforms were only a few years old--- map clamps and wastegate porting galore--these days if your STi only has 300whp its slow..

Did you do the install yourself?

Go big and run lower boost. Sure she comes on a bit later but so you will stay out of boost while cruising. I am sure everyone has heard the spooling at sixty five when just touching throttle. This is a girls turbo.

um I mean something else and I am not sure how to get out of this. I have always respected women and their pink calipers and such. uh oh

Back