just wanna clarify somethin on our trans.

MSP_4_CODY

:
03 msp
so on saturday i pretty much grenaded my trans, just did a little second gear pull but apparently i diddnt like it much that day lol, so im in need of a trans reeeeaaaaaly bad, and i think i remember reading somewhere that we cant swap out a regular protege trans because the lsd has different splines for the axles, am i right? cause i dont mind doin one tire fire's for a while till i can get a quaife lol. thanks

Everything I've read so far confirms that you CAN use a regular Protege transmission. The MSP axles are beefier, but as far as I know they will fit into the regular Pro tranny. The only difference between the non-MSP 5-speeds is the lack of LSD.

so on saturday i pretty much grenaded my trans, just did a little second gear pull but apparently i diddnt like it much that day lol, so im in need of a trans reeeeaaaaaly bad, and i think i remember reading somewhere that we cant swap out a regular protege trans because the lsd has different splines for the axles, am i right? cause i dont mind doin one tire fire's for a while till i can get a quaife lol. thanks
I'm almost certian there are a few who have used standard MSP axels in their MSP transmissions with no ill effects (cept when they weren't properly seated in the trans). you should be able to run it just fine. How long it will last is a whole nother question.

so how grenaded is your trans?i might want the blown one

i KNOW people have used standard axels on the MSP trans.... as for going the other way... I can't name anyone, but it shouldn't be a problem.

well im takin out the trans today after work so ill set you know how bad it is, and i have spapped a diff before, but it diddnt feel like this, it will lock up then move and it sounds aweful, so what i thin i did was snap my diff and since i was movin rather quickly all the metal went else whaere, but ill update when i crack the case tonight. thanks for the info guys look like ill probably get a regular protege trans and save up for a quaife.

You can use a reg. 2.0L protege Motor's Transmission on the MSP, nothing is different besides the MSP has a LSD.

good s*** thanks guys, so i pulled the trans and cracked the case open and what happenedwas some how the diff diddnt snap lol, the ring gear on the diff strpped the main shaft gear so those two gears are toasted. look like im gettin a regular protege trans.

didn't your momma tell you to build your trans when you get an msp and decide to build the motor then do a 2nd gear pull? geez i thought that was included in nursery rhymes these days...

hahaha i guess not, were gonna have to sub that in, honestly i diddnt think i was makin that much power lol. looks like a gotta dyno lol. so dodgetech81 you still want the old one?

Thanks for the trans...I blew my first trans with well under 200 whp and this trans is on it's way out with about 200whp. Stupid bearings keep breaking. I never have the same issues as any other forum members.

Back