Just took home a 2016 CX-5 AWD GT - found a scuff on the headlight

adgjqetuo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT
Hi Everyone - thought i'd introduce myself.

I just bought my wife a new 2016 Mazda CX5 AWD GT with both Tech and iActive packages. This is our first Mazda, but we are both really excited about it!

Although we have one concern and we are hoping the dealer pulls through for us. We test drove a different model during the day, but we didn't pick it up until almost closing because they had to take it back for detailing. Since it was dark and cold out we neglected to do a final detailed walk-through (stupid, I know) but to our defense, they never asked us to sign off either. Other new cars I've had the dealer always did that with us and asked us to sign off - this wasn't the case here. Anyway, when we got to our driveway and showing it to our neighbors we noticed a significant scuff in the passenger side headlight! I know we didn't hit anything driving home, we had the radio off the whole time and I know I would have heard something like that. There is also no paint damage that I could see which makes me believe it didn't happen during driving. We are really disappointed and hope the dealer helps us out. I guess tomorrow will tell - do I have any recourse?

I called the Business Manger as soon as we noticed it (around 8:30pm) and he said to email him pictures and he will speak to someone there regarding it tomorrow.

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7451.JPG

Last edited:
Hard to tell, but it looks like dried wax residue or possibly adhesive from the shipping body wrap. Try a little bit of alcohol or Goo Gone on a soft t-shirt or microfiber and see if it will come off.

Welcome and Congrats! I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Hopefully the dealer takes care of you, but even if they don't some simple polishing should remove most of that if not all.

Thanks! I wish it was that easy, but it's definitely etched into the plastic. You can tell when I run my fingernail over it.

I mean, I can try, but I would be really surprised.

EDIT: Nope, I tried with goo-gone and it didn't work, it's definitely a hard scuff into the plastic. :(

If I wind up getting shafted, are the headlight assemblies expensive? I saw online they range for $150 for the 2015, but mine has LED and I don't know if that makes a difference. Couldn't find pricing on the 2016 LED yet.

Last edited:
EDIT: Nope, I tried with goo-gone and it didn't work, it's definitely a hard scuff into the plastic. :(

If that is the case, I would opt for replacement. Even if buffed out, if it is that deep, the UV protection on the lens would be compromised, leading to premature discoloration. That is why restored headlights degrade quickly, the sanding/polishing removes the surface UV protection.

Hopefully they pull through tomorrow and not try to say it was my fault.

I guess that's what I get for rushing to take it home - ugh....

If I wind up getting shafted, are the headlight assemblies expensive? I saw online they range for $150 for the 2015, but mine has LED and I don't know if that makes a difference. Couldn't find pricing on the 2016 LED yet.

Not to burst your bubble, but with it being a LED unit which means it has all the motors for the adaptive and auto high beam functions, it would be extremely expensive to replace. A quick search is showing the old HID units are $530 just for the housing. I'm not sure how easy it is to transfer over all the other stuff such as the control units (which are another $215). A full replacement along with labor for taking off the front bumper will likely run close to $1k.

Thanks for making me feel nauseous...ugh.

I am sure it will work out... you may have a bit of a fight on your hands, which is a pain, but I wouldn't take no for an answer. You called immediately when you got home and noticed, so you have done all you reasonably can be expected to do. If they say no continue to go higher and be persistent.. all the way to the owner if needed. Take a tums and relax... I really think it will be ok. (drinks) congrats on the car!

Not to burst your bubble, but with it being a LED unit which means it has all the motors for the adaptive and auto high beam functions, it would be extremely expensive to replace. A quick search is showing the old HID units are $530 just for the housing. I'm not sure how easy it is to transfer over all the other stuff such as the control units (which are another $215). A full replacement along with labor for taking off the front bumper will likely run close to $1k.

And I thought aerodynamic headlamp housings were expensive! $1000 to replace these automatic gimbaled, stabilized, adaptive marvels of technology. It is a wonder they are not frequently stolen like catalytic converters.

I'm sure the LED headlights are obscenely expensive, even compared to the old Tech Pack's AFS Bi-Xenons. Hope all works out.

Very unfortunate. Perhaps they scuffed it up trying to clear ice and snow?

The dealer just called me up - they told me not to worry and they are going to take care of me. He said they will either order a new one or swap the headlight from another 2016 on the lot if they can't order it yet (not sure if it's too new or not). He said he was going to call back once he talks to his service manager to schedule an appointment.

Phew! Hopefully it works out. Sucks I have to go through all this for a new car though, but i'm glad they seem to be taking care of it!

The dealer just called me up - they told me not to worry and they are going to take care of me. He said they will either order a new one or swap the headlight from another 2016 on the lot if they can't order it yet (not sure if it's too new or not). He said he was going to call back once he talks to his service manager to schedule an appointment.

Phew! Hopefully it works out. Sucks I have to go through all this for a new car though, but i'm glad they seem to be taking care of it!

So they will just sell the scuffed headlight on a different 2016 to another unsuspecting customer?!?

Glad they're at least taking care of YOU.

So they will just sell the scuffed headlight on a different 2016 to another unsuspecting customer?!?

Glad they're at least taking care of YOU.

No, he is unsure if they can order the new 2016 headlight yet - it sounded like instead of having me potentially wait months for one to come in, he would take one off another 2016 and just use that as a demo car until they can order one and replace it on that car. He is going to find out if they can order one first though.

No, he is unsure if they can order the new 2016 headlight yet - it sounded like instead of having me potentially wait months for one to come in, he would take one off another 2016 and just use that as a demo car until they can order one and replace it on that car. He is going to find out if they can order one first though.

See if you can keep the "faulty" unit. I may be interested in purchasing it from you to dissect.

He called back and scheduled me for 9am tomorrow. Service manager / Parts Dept. verified they are unable to order a new one as of now so it looks like it will be swapped with another '16 headlight assembly on the lot.

Mine was the only i-Active package there but I don't think that matters - it's the tech package they would need to pull one from right?

I doubt they will let me keep the old one - it sounded like they are going to put it back on the diner vehicle until one can get ordered.

I just hope this doesn't cause more problems - removing the bumper seems like a lot of work for a brand new vehicle. Not happy about it but I guess that's all I can do.

Just got home - took 3 hours for it to be changed - you weren't kidding when you said it's a lot of work! Walking out I saw the doner car parked on the side. Looks like they may leave it until a new one comes in because it was still apart. I looked at the sticker and it's the exact same one I originally test drove with only 2 miles on it. I decided on mine because this one only had the tech package whereas mine has Tech and iActive.

Didn't cost a dime and they were more then willing to help me out - couldn't have been happier! I feel really relieved :)

I took some pictures of the doner car if anyone is interested:

Attachments

• IMG_7472.JPG
    IMG_7472.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_7473.JPG
    IMG_7473.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_7476.JPG