Just installed AWR 19mm rear sway bar

:
03 Silver Protege5
So I just spent 2 hours wrestling this b**** on (it wouldn't have taken nearly as long if I had just taken my GT spec stuff off before I started instead of trying to work around it), but it was worth every second of it. I can't even imagine what the 21.5 would be like, because the 19mm completely changed the feel of my car. Even in the rain, it's just amazing, ocmpletely changes the dynamics of the car. Understeer is virtualy eliminated, and even just cruising along the road at the speed limit in a striaght line, the car just feels soooo much more planted and solid all the time.

I would recomend this mod to ANYONE, wether you want to start autoxing or just have a little fun on the street, buy a new rear sway! It is worth every penny!

Sorry for the crappy pics, like I said it was raining and the car was already filthy. I'll post some better pics soon.

Attachments

• Sway bar and brakes. 004.jpg
    Sway bar and brakes. 004.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Sway bar and brakes. 005.jpg
    Sway bar and brakes. 005.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Sway bar and brakes. 006.jpg
    Sway bar and brakes. 006.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Sway bar and brakes. 007.jpg
    Sway bar and brakes. 007.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 344
kick ass man...can't wait till summer when you bring that hoe back down here for me to drive/ride in woot woot!!!
that looks like a pretty big pita to install (poke) good job

Last edited:
When hasn't it been raining up there lately? I went with the progress 21.5 or 22mm, whatever it really is. Like you said this made a big difference in the way the car feels & acts back there. I don't even have the illuminas & awr endlinks either. That'll be the next things that get replaced whenever the stock struts give out. Only lowered 1.3 so I don't think they're under that much stress for daily driving. Kudos on the pics, with that kinda weather not many folks woulda taken any. Good stuff, enjoy. Nice color on the car btw.

Are there just better bushings i could use on the stock rod to improve handling a jus' a wee bit?

I don't see where bushings alone will change anything other than the noise it might make ( klunk or squeak). The bar & endlinks determine the action. Bushings just hold the bar in place. It doesn't seem like the bar being held better will improve it's capabilities noticeably unless the bushings are just completely eat up of course.

anybody know who sells the complete sway bar kit(front and back) new? i just had struts/springs put on a month ago and want to finish my suspension before the new autocross season starts. otherwise i will just get the rear bar. i'm wondering how good the progress bar is compared to the awr.

if i got a new car, id make a new sway bar one of my first mods after installing the 21.5mm adjustable awr swaybar. it just totally transforms the car

NJP5Guy said:
i'm wondering how good the progress bar is compared to the awr.

The awr looks to be more adjustable for the endlink connection while the progress just has one position where the endlinks connect like the stock bar. It seems to depend on how much the car is lowered would determine which one fits better. Once in place they both do the same thing so not seeing how one would be any better than the other. The adjustable endlinks will help the fit be right with nothing in a bind.

Last edited:
Comngrats Miller.

Now you need to come back to AZ. We'll unload all the stuff out of your car and then take Mingus Mountain.

When I installed my 19mm adjustable rear swaybar from SRMotorsports I took a drive up mingus Mt. I was able to take the corners so much faster that I started to make myself carsick. Its an awesome feeling to take a 15 mph hairpin corner at 42 mph.
Its weird to know that your tires are the weak link in your cornering ability.

rednecks_r_us said:
Comngrats Miller.

Now you need to come back to AZ. We'll unload all the stuff out of your car and then take Mingus Mountain.

When I installed my 19mm adjustable rear swaybar from SRMotorsports I took a drive up mingus Mt. I was able to take the corners so much faster that I started to make myself carsick. Its an awesome feeling to take a 15 mph hairpin corner at 42 mph.
Its weird to know that your tires are the weak link in your cornering ability.

Haha yeah man I'll be there about the same time I was last year and I wont have 600 lbs of s*** in the back! I'll actually have my Azenis on my 626 wheels in the car so I dont miss the entire autox season when I'm in 'Bama, so we might have to swap those on.

ever since this post, i've been dreaming of this sway bar. (eek2)

after doing a little searching i read that the awr is way better than the racing beat that came on the mp3/msp, right? no clunk?

and for a daily driver, the 19mm would be the best bet, as opposed to the 21.5mm bar, right? i don't auto-x, just drive for fun, so would i need the adjustable endlinks?

Last edited:
Robot Romeo said:
ever since this post, i've been dreaming of this sway bar. (eek2)

after doing a little searching i read that the awr is way better than the racing beat that came on the mp3/msp, right? no clunk?

and for a daily driver, the 19mm would be the best bet, as opposed to the 21.5mm bar, right? i don't auto-x, just drive for fun, so would i need the adjustable endlinks?

I don't think that it is so much a deal with adjustability, it is just the strength of the endlinks. They need to be stronger to match the stronger sway bar.

I am getting the 21.5 mm because I need the endlinks anyway (the bar comes with them).

ok, that makes sense. but can you still install the bars on the stock endlinks?

also ********** sells both the 19 and the 21.5 with the adjustable endlinks, and they are the same price, $230. so what are the differences between the the two sizes of bars? why would someone choose the 19 over the 21.5 if they are the same price?

http://www.**********.com/AWR_s/630.htm?Click=125

Last edited:
Back