Just got the Magnaflow put in!

shinzen

:
02 Protege ES Sand Mica
Well, just got it all put in, after having to cut a bolt off of the stock exhaust- it went in really smooth, and to solve the rattle problem for us sedans I went ghetto style and stuffed a stainless steel kitchen pad between the flashing and the exhaust.

Sounds awesome and pulls way harder- I'm hitting redline on accident!!! Cant wait to autocross it on Saturday!!(yippy)

Sounds pretty gay....

I dunno
What the hell am I talking about?
Matt

Sounds great...although i just got rid of my magnaflow muffler.... Not cause it didnt perform well but cause it rusted like a b**** and the SS is cheap. Sorry i would have told u earlier if i had known. And about the rattle... I had a rattle and it was from the mount that bolts to the frame...it wasnt tight enough. good to hear it performs well...although as i said that was never one of magnaflows shortcomings.

Hmm. Well they have a warranty, if it rusts I may have to call them on it. As to the rattle, it seems that the bend is just a little wrong, so it sits maybe 1/4" too far up, so when I start the car it was making the rattling noise. All and all, it'll work for now, eventually I want to get the JIC bullet- but double the price I couldn't justify right now.

Well that's pretty b.s. of them, I wonder if I could coat it with something to prevent that from happening?

Being on the coast you have a lot of salt in the air, I wonder if that affected it.... Or any salt on the roads out there for wintertime? Forgive my ignorance, I haven't been to jersey yet.

Oh, I was worried that the muffler and piping itself would start to rust out- maybe some clearcoat on the welds would do the trick. Thanks for letting me know btw

I just got mine done (magnaflow too). My installer painted the welds (I'm not sure what he used), it was metallic, and I want to say it's the stuff used when they repaint your car after you've had rust to inhibit the rust returning. If you really want to know, I can probably find out b/c I have to go back to the shop sometime this coming week. Nice car btw, I have a 95 Sand Mica ES

Nice leila- please do let me know on the type of inhibitor they used, I don't want something to make the welds ugly, but I also don't want a bunch of rust- looks like you have good taste in cars as well- a few mod's ahead of me!

lol, yeah, it doesn't look ugly at all, it's a silver metallic type compound, I'm probably going over there this tuesday and I'll find out what they used. As far as me being a few mods ahead of you. . . I dunno, I feel like I'm barely started, although I have a lot in the works (a la valvetrain/cam upgrades) but I don't have a timeline. My ultimate goal is ~200 hp at the crank.

I know exactly what you mean, mods are addictive- my first few cars it was all about the stereo's, being a car audio installer. Now I have turned to performance for the last few, and it never feels like I have gotten very far- and with racing in the SCCA I really have to watch what I do.. So just so I know, what motor is in the 95 ES?

the BP, yeah, it's badass, lol. . .

on a more serious note, heres a pic of my exhaust with the painted welds:

Attachments

• 003_3A.jpg
    003_3A.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 88
Hmm- I would prefer a clearcoat of some kind, but to avoid rust I may go your route on the welds-

Hey spicy- was your rusting on the welds as well, or was it more widespread?

SpicyMchaggis said:
winter salt ate my magnaflow alive.
Good to know... No GB for me. $272 sounds nice, but I don't like:
1) RUST!
2) The clamps instead of bolt/gasket attachments
3) The muffler being so far forward and then the tip being a long pipe.

Chris

Back