Just got back from my very first oil change at the dealership

Dekz

So I go to the dealership to get my first oil change on my new car. Everything goes fine and I'm driving home, stop at a street light and see some smoke coming out from under the hood. I think to myself "some monkey at the dealership probably spilled a little bit and it's burning off, no big deal. I was almost home anyways so I pull into the driveway and am greeted with this:

oil3.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil1.jpg

oil4.jpg

So I put the cap on, drive all the way back to the dealership, pull into the service area to park (rather briskly I might add, cause I was PISSED). As I get out, my saleswoman (who I don't like very much) happened to be standing there just about to get into a car and she says to me "Bit of a lead foot eh, or is it just the car? :D " I said "No, not really, I'm just pissed off" and then went into the service department.

They got some guy to clean it up, but I guess oil got allover the insulation that goes on the hood so they had to take that off and see if they can get the oil out, or might have to get me a new one. I'm a little dissapointed that they didn't really offer to do anything else. Refund me for the oil change or offer the next one be free. Just a "sorry about that, here's your key".

I'm surprised the cap stayed on top of the engine like that and didn't fall off onto the road as you were driving. How much oil did you lose?

Sheesh! What's with the brain-dead oil changers lately? This is the second thread on this subject recently, and I also have a customer who is dealing with the exact same thing on a Subaru, that he took back to the dealer he purchased it from for its first oil change.

The sad part is the way the dealerships handle this, as if its not that big of a deal and not their fault. If it happened in my shop, I'd be begging the customer's forgiveness, and assuring them it'd never happen again. Mistakes can and do happen, but this one is a no-brainer, and can cause a lot of other problems.

My dealer left my lugs untightened when I had my tires rotated. The wheels almost fell off the car at 60mph. They refunded the price of the rotation and balance, but I have a ton of problems with car since.

Dekz said:
won't you get a call back in a few days asking how your service was? I usually do when I get work done at the dealership.. you could complain then..

So get this...

After I get home from having it cleaned up, I think to myself "I'm sure they topped up the oil after cleaning it up, but then again, I was sure they would put the oil cap back on"

So I go check my oil, and there isn't a single drop on the dipstick. (omg)

I've parked my car for the night and I guess I will have to call them in the morning.

I concur w/ Raynman, the oil looks filthy!

Dekz, I hope you got full names, titles, times you spoke w/ each person, and exactly what was said and/or done. You've got a serious complaint on your hands! Now that you seem to be driving with hardly any oil, you could damage your car further and possibly for good! Keep taking pictures. I suggest you take a picture of that empty dip stick as well. It's time to speak to the owner of the company, and if he does not do jack, go to the corp then the BBB. Good luck!

Last edited:
Definately ask for your money back, they will refund you if you ask. Also document this, because if your engine has any problems in the future you can blame on the morons they apparantly hired from jiffy lube.

I guess one thing I should mention is that I'm actually leasing the car. I think this gives me a few more options.

I'd say IDEALLY the only way to be SURE I am protected is to cancel the lease and have them take the car.

Second to that, keep my lease going but give me a brand new one.

I doubt either of those are going to happen though.

At the very least, warranty on the engine and turbo for as long as I own the car.

Anyways, I'm going down there right now, will update when I get back.

Alright, they towed the car to the dealer. The dealer told me that it was 1.5L low, just enough to not show on the dipstick (of course I knew going in that that's what they were gonna say). So they topped it up and said everything should be fine. I doubt it was low enough to cause damage, as the oil light never came on.

I got documentation of the incident in case anything happens in the future, and he is ordering a new hood liner.

The shuttle driver that picked me up at home and took me to the dealership was the WORST driver I've ever seen. It was a scary trip, lol. At NO point did she pay attention to the road. The whole time she was ******* with her satellite radio, picked up a pad and started writing stuff, looking around and talking about stuff. When the car in front of us started to go and then stopped, she wasn't paying attention and then slammed on the brakes at the last second and a bunch of her crap in the center console fell and our seatbelts locked. (boobs)

I of course checked the oil level and that the cap was on before I left the dealer this time ;)

The car LOVES the fresh oil though. I can actually hear the turbo and bov now (k) (huh)

Ouch! No oil on the stick? It sounds as if the oil change monkey drained it, changed the filter, then slammed the hood and forgot the oil and cap.....

BTW, did you check to see if the filter had been changed? I had a friend who used to mark his filter and drain plug with a dab of correction fluid to insure it was actually done.

check the rubber seals on the hood... I've seen oil ruin them and make them all stretched and warped.... if they're NOT the same condition as a brand new car on the lot, make them replace them too

This is why I always stand on the mechanics head when they do work on my cars. They feel forced to do eveyrthing professionaly and they do.

Back