Just Got a Set of General Altimax HP's

08M5GTGSP

:
08 Mazda5 GT w/Sirius Satellite & Autodim Mirror/Compass/Homelnk
Just had them installed this afternoon. Only have driven from the tire place to my home (about 5-6 miles) so far.

I bought these because of online reviews at Tire Rack and Tread Depot (where I bought them). People who drove a wide variety of vehicles pretty uniformly mentioned increased ride quality and quietness.

My short experience so far has been that it seems the sharpest "edge" of small bumps seems to be softened, but I can't really tell a difference in road noise. General touts some kind of noise cancellation technology for these, so maybe they need to be broken in first?

Do new tires tend to ride better/quieter as miles add up?

I'll report again after more miles have passed.

I have the exclaim HP's for my MSP and I love them.
You should love them as time go's on, if they are anything
like mine they will have great handling and lots of grip in the rain.
plus you gotsta love the price.

I have the exclaim HP's for my MSP and I love them.
You should love them as time go's on, if they are anything
like mine they will have great handling and lots of grip in the rain.
plus you gotsta love the price.

Cool! I'll give it some time.

What's MSP? The only thing I know about it is that it's the commercial airport code for Minneapolis/St. Paul Int'l Airport....

Update: After about a week of driving on them, I noticed that they now seem to be handling bumps better than my OEM tires. I still can't say I've noticed any reduction in road noise, which is a major selling point of this tire, and a major perceived benefit from reading MANY user reviews. I don't get that part, but overall, I'm happy.

Update a month-plus on: Same scenario. Bump absorption is better than with OEM tires, but I swear I can't tell any reduction in road noise, which was the MAIN reason I laid out nearly $500.00. I'm a little disappointed.

That is too bad that you're not hearing a noise reduction. Still, thanks for the more-than-10-miles-from-the-tire-shop update. We'll need new summer or all-season tires by spring as well.

We still love our 5, too!

but I swear I can't tell any reduction in road noise, which was the MAIN reason I laid out nearly $500.00. I'm a little disappointed.

Went with Michelin's on my 5. Tire noise gone! Was looking at all the others to save a few bucks but went with the michelins because I have them on my 6 and they're so quiet and smooth. Just a little (ok, a lot) more expensive.

The stock Toyo's were drivin me nuts, shoulda replaced them long ago.....

Went with Michelin's on my 5. Tire noise gone! Was looking at all the others to save a few bucks but went with the michelins because I have them on my 6 and they're so quiet and smooth. Just a little (ok, a lot) more expensive.

The stock Toyo's were drivin me nuts, shoulda replaced them long ago.....

You know, I almost went a similar route. I REALLY wanted the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tire, but it was $48.00 per tire more. Plus, with all the raving reviews of the tire I bought, I thought it was a slam-dunk. Next time, I'll go with my 1st impression.

Nothing that I've noticed, but the weather has been really crappy here since I made the swap. Lotsa cold and snow (talk about good timing!) so It'll probably be spring before I get a good feel for any difference. But my gut reaction is that it has not changed at all.
Like I said, I should have replaced the Howling Toyo's long ago. I can't believe a tire could be so noisy! It's like a different car now.(2thumbs)

Nothing that I've noticed, but the weather has been really crappy here since I made the swap. Lotsa cold and snow (talk about good timing!) so It'll probably be spring before I get a good feel for any difference. But my gut reaction is that it has not changed at all.
Like I said, I should have replaced the Howling Toyo's long ago. I can't believe a tire could be so noisy! It's like a different car now.(2thumbs)
Glad to hear the mileage seems to be the same - and that they are quieter too. I assume you're happy with the way they handle in the snow? Also - can I ask how much the set was?

Thanks!

They were a little over $700 for 4. They are much better in snow and wet than the Toyo's, but not as good as a dedicated snow tire. The Toyo's still had 5-6/32" tread left but with winter about to hit and the dreadful noise they made made the swap an easy decision. My Toyo's had about 33k and growled like a 4 wheel drive truck with monster mudders! Overall very happy with these tires. Very smooth, slightly better ride and of course much quieter. And a 620 treadwear rating.

Back to topic - in my 4th month with the tires, they're fine. MUCH better in wet weather than the Toyo's, but I notice no reduction in road noise at all. A bit disappointing, but if you don't try, you'll never know, right?

Back to topic - in my 4th month with the tires, they're fine. MUCH better in wet weather than the Toyo's, but I notice no reduction in road noise at all. A bit disappointing, but if you don't try, you'll never know, right?

Can I ask my infamous question: Any change in mileage?

Back