just bought my MSP

dcdenonda

:
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege
i just bought a MSP on 5/3, but the guy i bought it from said that the factory Kenwood Cd player doesnt work. The headunit does not even open. i have no music in my car!!! i dont know if the headunit is supposed to open when i start the car or what. any suggestions?

try pushing in the top left corner of the HU. it should give a little. its kinda like an "on" button. try that.

oh boy.. if you think that's the worst of your problems, you're in for some fun... lol. Give us some more info on the car!!!!

edit: not tryin to scare you, but these cars are a love/hate relationship. lol

oh boy.. if you think that's the worst of your problems, you're in for some fun... lol. Give us some more info on the car!!!!

edit: not tryin to scare you, but these cars are a love/hate relationship. lol

yea thats what i heard, so far im loving the car. i just hate driving it without any music. my exhaust its kinda loud and without music, its draining my head.
is the HU supposed to open when the car is started??

im thinking about just trying to rip it out, im gonna put in an alpine HU anyways but i dont know if the door is directly connected to the compartment right below it, if i rip it out, will i break the compartment below with the door?

thats called a dash pocket (just FYI) and if you look in the how-to section, it'll go through the instructions for just about anything for you... including replacing the HU.

if the power was turned off then no, it wont flip over when the car starts, listen to me and try what i suggested....

try pushing in the top left corner of the HU. it should give a little. its kinda like an "on" button. try that.

or dont....
yea thats what i heard, so far im loving the car. i just hate driving it without any music. my exhaust its kinda loud and without music, its draining my head.
is the HU supposed to open when the car is started??

im thinking about just trying to rip it out, im gonna put in an alpine HU anyways but i dont know if the door is directly connected to the compartment right below it, if i rip it out, will i break the compartment below with the door?

yea i tried pushing on the corner and no luck, im yanking it out this weekend and putting an aftermarket one in

pull out the kenwoode pos and replace with a quality headunit. I battled the stock kenwood to many times, its not worth it, believe me;)

damn so i pulled out the kenwood following the HOW TO STEPS sticky (props to them, the sticky instructions made it easy) and then in order to install the new ones, i matched up all the wires like i have done in the past, but i have a blue and orange wire left over. also, my keypad for my remote locks doesnt work now either, and i still have no power going to the HU. any suggestions???
New HU: Pioneer MPH-1100.

im guessing i have to reprogram the keypad, or did i mess something up a lil more serious?

Check your fuses. Im not sure why you would have wires left over. I changed my HU and everything matched up perfectly.

the orange wire is likely illumination, the blue wire is for running as a switching wire for an amp. Assuming all of your other wires are correct, it is hooked up correctly. I am guessing theres a fuse blown or some other electrical problem which was preventing both the previous, and this HU from working. start with the fuse, then test both of your power connections (yellow and red) for power with a test light or something.

yea the fuse under the steering wheel is fine, and i have power in the red wire, but little or no power (im using an old non-digital tester) in the yellow wire. imma gonna have to check that out. also, the guy i bought it from had a viper alarm that doesnt work and it looks like a pretty bad install cuz all the wires are exposed. maybe this has something to do with my HU?
if its the yellow wire, where does it go to?

yeah, if someone was hacking up the wiring, my bet is they got a wire they didn't mean to... see if you can trace that wire and find a break in it. might be as simple as splicing it back together.

this is a rule of thumb wiring spec, might help in tracing. If memory serves, you're looking for the constant wire.

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=2>P o w e r</TH></TR><TR><TD>Memory (+12v Constant)</TD><TD>Blue/Red</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ignition (+12v Switched)</TD><TD>Blue/White</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ground (-)</TD><TD>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD>Illumination</TD><TD>Red/Black</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Back