Just bought Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 w/ Moly online

MikeM.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L
I was having trouble finding a good deal on oil online (shipping charges always killed it).

But I just ordered 3 oil change kits from http://www.oilchangekits.com/ . They include 5 quarts GF-5 w/moly and one OEM CX-5 oil filter with each kit. Ground shipping was only $5 for two kits but I decided to buy three kits and get free ground shipping. Total was $134.85, that's $44.95 per 5 quarts and filter far less than the local Mazda dealership. The local Dealership lost my business anyway when I scheduled a regular service at 12,000 miles and they told me I needed all kinds of things like a new fuel filter, etc. etc. According to the service schedule it should have just been an oil change and tire rotation. Now I'll have the peace of mind knowing my oil change is not being done by scammer crooks.

I've never done business with oilchange.com so I can't vouch for them but I really like the deal they offered. I'll know within a couple of weeks whether they are true or not but I've ordered from literally hundreds of on-line merchants without issue so I'm not worried. Just wanted to pass on the good deal for those who like the GF-5 with Moly.(drinks)

Yea, I got mine from the same website. It took about a week to come. That was the first oil change I did on any vehicle, and installed a drain valve while I was at it (when I later drian/filled my trans fluid the valve didn't show signs of leakage). BTW, what is your mileage right now?

Only 15,000 miles after 1.5 years. I'm planning ahead w/ the oil because she already had her 2nd oil change at 12,000 miles.

I decided to just get some 0W20 Mobil 1 synthetic, which I consider to be good oil, at AutoZone for $35 for 5 quarts. $7/quart. No Molybdenum in this oil.

I can vouch for oilchangekits.com as well. They sell the 0W-20 with moly for $96/case with no tax ($8/quart). Throw in an extra quart and there's your free shipping. I've bought it twice from them with no issues.

I've also had good luck with filters on eBay. Bought a 4-pack of Mazda brand filters for $28 shipped from a dealer reselling on eBay.

Last edited:
I decided to just get some 0W20 Mobil 1 synthetic, which I consider to be good oil, at AutoZone for $35 for 5 quarts. $7/quart. No Molybdenum in this oil.

No Moly in M1 0w-20? This UOA says differently... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3330506/gonew/1/Mobil-1_0w20_4182_miles/2011_T#UNREAD

Also, as much as I hate the place, you can get M1 0w-20 at Wally World for about $12 cheaper in the 5qt. jug. Walmart kills everyone in oil prices for the most part.

No Moly in M1 0w-20? This UOA says differently... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3330506/gonew/1/Mobil-1_0w20_4182_miles/2011_T#UNREAD

Also, as much as I hate the place, you can get M1 0w-20 at Wally World for about $12 cheaper in the 5qt. jug. Walmart kills everyone in oil prices for the most part.
All synthetic oil has some moly. The difference is the Mazda oil with moly has 664 ppm verses 75-93 ppm in the Mobil 1. That is the huge difference (and you need concentrates over 100 ppm for the Molybdenum to make a difference.)

All synthetic oil has some moly. The difference is the Mazda oil with moly has 664 ppm verses 75-93 ppm in the Mobil 1. That is the huge difference (and you need concentrates over 100 ppm for the Molybdenum to make a difference.)

Do you need that in every fill, or just the factory fill during break-in? I'm not a petroleum engineer by any means, so I'm actually asking that. For example, I know the Impreza f.f. has very high amounts of molybdenum (near 800ppm?), but the bulk Idemitsu oil is near the others in the 70-100ppm range.

Do you need that in every fill, or just the factory fill during break-in? I'm not a petroleum engineer by any means, so I'm actually asking that. For example, I know the Impreza f.f. has very high amounts of molybdenum (near 800ppm?), but the bulk Idemitsu oil is near the others in the 70-100ppm range.

You need to keep the ppm up as moly is a lubricant. There are molybdenum additives you can add to any oil. I should add that cars have survived without moly for years -- this is just newer knowledge on lubrication. I don't believe the newly endorsed by Mazda Castrol oils have high moly concentrates.

Last edited:
You need to keep the ppm up as moly is a lubricant. There are molybdenum additives you can add to any oil. I should add that cars have survived without moly for years -- this is just newer knowledge on lubrication. I don't believe the newly endorsed by Mazda Castrol oils have high moly concentrates.

Do you know the threshold where you want that moly at?

I find it interesting that Pennzoil yellow bottle Dino has ~ 250 PPM of Moly and the Platinum Synthetic has only ~ 55 PPM of moly. Maybe we put too much faith in moly as it is only one component in the oil? Ed

I find it interesting that Pennzoil yellow bottle Dino has ~ 250 PPM of Moly and the Platinum Synthetic has only ~ 55 PPM of moly. Maybe we put too much faith in moly as it is only one component in the oil? Ed

And a lot of the additives work together, and if the balances are thrown off by throwing additional amounts of a component, it could result in a negative overall effect to the oil. I don't know any specifics here, but read this over at BITOG. It could very well be that throwing additional moly into the mix won't hurt anything. Just don't know.

All Moly is not created equal. I read that some of the Moly, especially the early additives, was so large that the oil filter collected it or it dropped out of solution so it did little good except to clog the filter. The newer high teck stuff is smaller and sticks around and does not drop out of solution. I think the reduction in friction Moly creates by filling in the "low" parts of bearing surfaces making them smoother contributes to higher mileage and less wear.

All Moly is not created equal. I read that some of the Moly, especially the early additives, was so large that the oil filter collected it or it dropped out of solution so it did little good except to clog the filter. The newer high teck stuff is smaller and sticks around and does not drop out of solution. I think the reduction in friction Moly creates by filling in the "low" parts of bearing surfaces making them smoother contributes to higher mileage and less wear.

That is my understanding as well. Many of the early moly additives you could buy and add to your own oil did more harm than good. I haven't really followed recent developments so I don't know whether the "homebrew" moly situation is any better now.

But I do believe the Mazda branded 0W-20 oils (with and without high moly) are created from high quality base stocks with top notch additives especially suited to the requirements of Skyactiv engines.

I suspect that the Mazda oil, with whatever it has in it, gets Mazda an extra 0.02 mpg/car and it is worth it to them to fill the car with that oil and have it available for purchase to have that extra little smidgen of mileage. The fact they get to sell the oil is a bonus. Is it better than Mobil 1? Probably by some margin. Would anyone ever notice without a tribology department and an oil analysis lab? Probably not. Do I use the Mazda oil? Yes, it just "feels" right.

I was having trouble finding a good deal on oil online (shipping charges always killed it).

But I just ordered 3 oil change kits from http://www.oilchangekits.com/ . They include 5 quarts GF-5 w/moly and one OEM CX-5 oil filter with each kit. Ground shipping was only $5 for two kits but I decided to buy three kits and get free ground shipping. Total was $134.85, that's $44.95 per 5 quarts and filter far less than the local Mazda dealership.

Just a follow up on my oilchangekits.com customer experience.

My first order shipped quickly, arrived well packaged and contained the stuff I ordered. The price is the best I've found by a good margin. The oil filters included were the newly available PE01-14-302A which supersedes the original part PE01-14-302.

Recommended!

Not viable for Alaska, though! From their website, shipping for one oil change kit:
$116.45 for Priority Mail
$151 for UPS ground
$250-$380 for UPS air
For that kind of money, I guess that I'll keep using the tears of virgin unicorns.

Not viable for Alaska, though! From their website, shipping for one oil change kit:
$151 for UPS ground
$250-$380 for UPS air

Ouch!

I understand Alaskan's can see Russia from their backyard. Maybe It would be cheaper to do an international order via Russia?

Just a follow up on my oilchangekits.com customer experience.

My first order shipped quickly, arrived well packaged and contained the stuff I ordered. The price is the best I've found by a good margin. The oil filters included were the newly available PE01-14-302A which supersedes the original part PE01-14-302.

Recommended!
Thanks for the heads up, I will probably order from here after my first free oil change from the dealer (cheers)

$151 for UPS ground
$250-$380 for UPS air
For that kind of money, I guess that I'll keep using the tears of virgin unicorns.

How much moly do tears of virgin unicorns contain?! :p

Last edited:
Back