Just Bought a p5 recommend me tires

I'm pretty sure those are all-season tires. I've heard people recommend them before, but say they aren't as good as the ASX's.

The thing to remember with tires: all season doesn't mean they're better in the rain than a summer tire. It just means the compound in the tire won't get hard or freeze in cold weather. In a lot of cases a summer tire will grip far better in the rain and the dry than an all season tire.

A dedicated snow tire will be far better in the snow than an all-season and most summer only tires will be way better than an all-season in the summer.

Thanks.
I just called up my local dealer and he has PZero Nero M&S 205/50/r16 for 640 -100 rebate = $540 CDN including installation

Tirerack ratings seem pretty average for it though. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

I did some searching on this forum and it seems the reviews are generally positive (quiet ride, good grip in rain) but that was when they first had it. Anyone here have some reviews/opinions on them now?

p.s. Are these all weather? Tirerack says its summer high performance but some users have mentioned it to be all weather (posts were older though like 2007)

my money is on Dunlop Direzza DZ101 :) I had them on my cougar, and now have them on my p5 - love them :)

I think the 205/50/16 yokos felt fine (just got back from FL. I live in TN, no problems with harshness). I know the 205/45/16 has a XL rating which will make the sidewalls a little stiffer, but any low pro tire will probably not be the most comfortable anyway.

Most of their testing is done to such high standards. They are really comparing "high performance" tires, so when they mention comfort levels, they are measuring comfort levels of a tire most people would already consider uncomfortable. I usually don't take the "comfort" levels of a tire too seriously. The only people i really hear complain about harshness are people running run-flats.

IMHO, i think the suspension set-up has more to do with comfort.(thumb)

The thing to remember with tires: all season doesn't mean they're better in the rain than a summer tire. It just means the compound in the tire won't get hard or freeze in cold weather. In a lot of cases a summer tire will grip far better in the rain and the dry than an all season tire.

A dedicated snow tire will be far better in the snow than an all-season and most summer only tires will be way better than an all-season in the summer.

Wise comments from these two.

I'm pretty sure those are all-season tires. I've heard people recommend them before, but say they aren't as good as the ASX's.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't an all-season be better int he rain due to the different tread pattern that is better suited to move water away from under the tire then a summer that has maximized the tread pattern for grip on dry roads? The siping in an all season has to be way better and expelling water, No? I live in OR and have decided to go with the Kumho ACX all season FYI.

Certain tread patterns are better at certain things. The tread pattern of the Kumho XS or Falken RT-615 is made to give the most grip possible when it's dry. The bad part is they don't grip in the rain very well. That's the trade off. The SPT is made to give really good grip in the dry and wet. Being good in the wet means it's not as good in the dry.

The ASX has to be good in light snow so it's tread is designed that way. The trade off is it doesn't grip as well in the rain or dry as the SPT which doesn't need to worry about light snow.

So, a summer tire that is made to move water will outgrip an all season in the rain simply because it doesn't also have to be designed to move snow.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't an all-season be better int he rain due to the different tread pattern that is better suited to move water away from under the tire then a summer that has maximized the tread pattern for grip on dry roads? The siping in an all season has to be way better and expelling water, No? I live in OR and have decided to go with the Kumho ACX all season FYI.

well I plan on going up to Mt. hood skiing in my car so I'll stick witht he all seasons for know. I'd love to be able to do summers and snow tires and differnent rims but got nowhere to keep the tires when not in use, Damn Apartments. Thanks for the info, I learned something new.

Certain tread patterns are better at certain things.

The ASX has to be good in light snow so it's tread is designed that way. The trade off is it doesn't grip as well in the rain or dry as the SPT which doesn't need to worry about light snow.

So, a summer tire that is made to move water will outgrip an all season in the rain simply because it doesn't also have to be designed to move snow.

There you go. Not all summers are good in the wet, like the Falken 615, but ones that ARE designed to be good in the wet will smoke ANY all season tire. Why? All season tires have a M+S designation, mud and snow; anything designed to work in snow or snow temps, is massively behind handicapped, and will do everything, but nothing well.

The falken 452, a z rated Summer, will hold like crazy in wet and rain, or dry. Awesome stuff.

Honestly, unless you plan on taking the car to a track or something, the ASX is a great all around tire. I would just stick with them unless you're going to HAVE to be driving through huge piles of snow or something.

well I plan on going up to Mt. hood skiing in my car so I'll stick witht he all seasons for know. I'd love to be able to do summers and snow tires and differnent rims but got nowhere to keep the tires when not in use, Damn Apartments. Thanks for the info, I learned something new.

Well after reading through this thread, as a newbie, I just switched out the OEM Toyos for the Kuhmo ASX 205/50/16. I thought the car was great before, now it's a whole new machine. The s*** eating grin on my face just got bigger. Thanks everyone.

Tires = best, biggest, cheapest mod over stock, period. That goes for nearly every car.

I want summers to replace my all seasons...bad. I miss the monkey grip.

"Tires = best, biggest, cheapest mod over stock, period. That goes for nearly every car. "

AMEN brother! Especially if the OEM's say "Goodyear" anywhere on the sidewall. One thing I will add: If you plan to go up to the 205/50-16, you will lose some (precious) acceleration due to the larger rolling circumference. There are 195/50-16's out there, and TireRack users will never need to despair.

I have 215/40/16s on stock rims...Hankook Ventus HRIIs. Cheap all seasons, and the grip with 215s is tremendous! Highly recommended. They're okay in light snow, but in KY that's all I see, so it works fine.

Back