Just Bought a p5 recommend me tires

zemaster

Hey all,
Just got a used protege5 from a family friend and i need to replace the snow tires with some summers. Was wondering what you guys would recommend?
Heres some info:
- going to do lots of hwy driving (70% highway and 30%) so ill probably need tires that arent noisy
- prefer a soft ride but i want to keep the p5s solid handling

i was advised "to run 205/55/16 but you'll lost a lot of handling" is that true?

Thanks

and it will make the p5 look to tall.
try 205/50/16, and someone actually using 215/45/16 , and i hear no bad things from that.

I'm sorry about this but I'm a noob trying to learn some things about cars...
What does the #/#/# mean? I know its the size of the tire, but which #s measure what?

for example... P215/35R18.
P is for passenger tire, the width of the tire is 215mm, the sidewall is 35% of the width of the tire, the R would be for radial and finally the 18 is the inner size of the tire in inches(or wheel size).

Last edited:
Kuhmo ASX's are good all season tires if you need to use them in light snow. I had the Kuhmo SPT's as well and they were awesome and are summer only tires. Though I don't see anywhere that has them in 205/50/16. The Yokahama S Drive is a really good summer tire and it comes in 205/50/16

The stock size is 195/50/16 but not much is made in that size. The ASX is though. If just want a good summer tire, i'd recommend the S.Drives.

Hey all,
Just got a used protege5 from a family friend and i need to replace the snow tires with some summers. Was wondering what you guys would recommend?
Heres some info:
- going to do lots of hwy driving (70% highway and 30%) so ill probably need tires that arent noisy
- prefer a soft ride but i want to keep the p5s solid handling

i was advised "to run 205/55/16 but you'll lost a lot of handling" is that true?

Thanks

Kuhmo ASX's are good all season tires if you need to use them in light snow. I had the Kuhmo SPT's as well and they were awesome and are summer only tires. Though I don't see anywhere that has them in 205/50/16. The Yokahama S Drive is a really good summer tire and it comes in 205/50/16

The stock size is 195/50/16 but not much is made in that size. The ASX is though. If just want a good summer tire, i'd recommend the S.Drives.
Are ASX the same as kumho ecsta or is that a different one? There seems to be a lot of positive reviews for ecsta but im not sure for which series of it.

How fast do they wear out? I'll be doing a lot of highway driving..

What Other tires are recommended? I heard Potenzas(?) and some falkens were good?

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I've followed previous advice on this forum and got me some Kuhmo Ecsta SPTs, and like stated above, they're great for summer.

Ecsta is a line of tire or which there are several. The ASX and SPT are both in that line. Completely different tires though.

Generally, if you go for a dedicated performance summer tire, they tend to wear quicker. The SPT's I had lasted about 20,000 miles. The ASX should be good for about 40,000 miles.

It also depends on how much you want to spend on tires. I'd recommend going to a site like tirerack.com and seeing what exactly is available in whatever size you decided to go with. They have test results for some of the tires, so you can read what their testers thought of the tires.

Are ASX the same as kumho ecsta or is that a different one? There seems to be a lot of positive reviews for ecsta but im not sure for which series of it.

How fast do they wear out? I'll be doing a lot of highway driving..

What Other tires are recommended? I heard Potenzas(?) and some falkens were good?

Thanks for all the responses guys.

i ran the ecsta's and never had a problem. to be honest, the only that was complete junk were the continentals that were stock on mah focus. if i remember the khumo's were 205/45/R16. u may also want to tirerack.com.

i ran the ecsta's and never had a problem. to be honest, the only that was complete junk were the continentals that were stock on mah focus. if i remember the khumo's were 205/45/R16. u may also want to tirerack.com.

Thanks.
I just called up my local dealer and he has PZero Nero M&S 205/50/r16 for 640 -100 rebate = $540 CDN including installation

Tirerack ratings seem pretty average for it though. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

I did some searching on this forum and it seems the reviews are generally positive (quiet ride, good grip in rain) but that was when they first had it. Anyone here have some reviews/opinions on them now?

p.s. Are these all weather? Tirerack says its summer high performance but some users have mentioned it to be all weather (posts were older though like 2007)

If you live where it snows buy snow tires. Most tires are considered all weather, but real snow tires can't be beat, and if you get summers and snows then they last longer. Because good tires are made for use in specific conditions.

205/50/16

yokohama S.drives (like gus5 said)

you won't be disappointed, gonna order another set next month.

Last edited:
reviews on tirerack seem to say that yokos arent very comfortable but they do handle well.

Whats your experience with them?

look at www.discounttiresdirect.com . every time i buy new tires, i try to beat their prices, and cant. why? the price you see includes shipping to the location of your choice.

for pure summer, i highly recommend falken 452's. awesome wet and dry grip, world class, but wear like iron, and cheap. go figure. i am talking 40k+ with a lot of hard canyon driving . insane. my p5 came with falken 912's, and so far they are very good. near summer tire grip, good wet grip, very responsive. they probably wont last too long, but they are super cheap. dont buy falken 512's, they suck. wanted to kill myself.

reviews on tirerack seem to say that yokos arent very comfortable but they do handle well.

Whats your experience with them?

I think the 205/50/16 yokos felt fine (just got back from FL. I live in TN, no problems with harshness). I know the 205/45/16 has a XL rating which will make the sidewalls a little stiffer, but any low pro tire will probably not be the most comfortable anyway.

Most of their testing is done to such high standards. They are really comparing "high performance" tires, so when they mention comfort levels, they are measuring comfort levels of a tire most people would already consider uncomfortable. I usually don't take the "comfort" levels of a tire too seriously. The only people i really hear complain about harshness are people running run-flats.

IMHO, i think the suspension set-up has more to do with comfort.(thumb)

Back