Just bought a CX-7...Not too happy

cju1979

:
Mazda 6 & CX-7
I saw the Turbo lag thread but seriously...From 0-30 is like a friggin epic? I may trade this thing in for a Duster...

Between 60-80 (just cruising) the damn thing wants to shift down to 5th and the back to 6th and drop 100rpms and back to 5th, go up 500 rpms back to 6th...WTF?

Gas mileage says 24 hwy, but it's more like 18...

And why the hell does my tire pressure gauge come on for 48 hours every 2 weeks. 8000 miles and I'm ready to call it a deal.

I love my 6 (standard, not speed though) but this oversized minivan is starting to piss me off...Is there any recall or anything I need to know about. Can the electronic shifting @ highway speeds be fixed? What will help the lag and possibly gas mileage?

Thanks for any info

There are two recent recalls (shutter valve and PCM reflash) that might help out on mileage and turbo lag. I just got them done so it'll be a while before I can see any improvement on mileage. There is a TSB on body vibration (surging). It's a TCM reflash, which may stabilize your gear shift issue.

Did you test drive the car before you bought it?

Have the recent recalls done, it will smooth out some of the lag issues. I have noticed the car seems easier to drive now.

Uhhh...what?

BPV?
TCM?
BCM?

This is why I hate cars with computers...

I test drove it on backroads and couldn't get it up to 60-80mph although I tried but there was a cop and the dealer almost sh!t himself.

I like the handling and the car (although my seat is too far forward with the kids in back), but the trubo lag and the elec. trannny pisses me off. I will take it in and try to get the thing reflashed. What recalls do I ask them to do? Is it just a chip reflashing or is there any thing else with the turbo, throttle (I have seen alot of threads about throttle cable or something), or tranny?

I wish they made these things in a straight 6 speed on the floor. That slap stick is gay as hell and doesn't shift when I want.(bj)

You're going to get lag with any turbo powered vehicule, like it or not. If you don't like lag I think something with a V6 would better suit you.

I think a lot of people that are buying the CX-7 haven't ever driven a turbo powered vehicle before. I never had before I got the CX-7 and test driving it, I definately discounted the turbo-lag while test driving it.

It takes getting used to, and I think a lot of us American's are used to v6/v8 cars or 4 cylinders that power lightweight cars. If you consider that before the turbo kicks in the CX, a 4000lb vehicle, is being powered by 100hp 4 cylinder, then you realize how slow the CX is before the turbo kicks in.

I love the CX, yeah, from stoplight to stoplight its not the fastest thing in the world. But, in everyday driving if you keep the revs above 2500 (which is very easy to do if you are trying to drive aggressively) the car is a quick car.

The turbo lag is so small in the CX-7, drive something like an STi and you will know what real turbo lag is.

Just go in and ask for them to "reflash the PCM=Power Control Module and the TCM=Transmission Control Module" because you're experiancing shuddering in 6th, and hesitation before 2500RPMS."
Bypass Valve=BPV, it leaks boost, and reduces performance, increases turbo lag, if you we're to buy an upgrade that does not leak boost, you will have better response and reduced turbo lag.

...but this oversized minivan is starting to piss me off...

Small correction: Undersized minivan. Real minivans have tons more useful space. The CX-7 is an overly-tall mid-sized station wagon, like all CUV's and 75% of the SUV's out there. ;)

I'll stop trolling now. :) I hope you get your lag issues worked out though, I really do.

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy...you must of liked it on the test drive. If it is not driving the same than maybe you have one with issues...lag seems minimal to me though I came out of an automatic RX 8. Needs some adjusting it sounds like....hope some TSB's help out. Good luck!

BPV?
TCM?
BCM?

This is why I hate cars with computers...

I test drove it on backroads and couldn't get it up to 60-80mph although I tried but there was a cop and the dealer almost sh!t himself.

I like the handling and the car (although my seat is too far forward with the kids in back), but the trubo lag and the elec. trannny pisses me off. I will take it in and try to get the thing reflashed. What recalls do I ask them to do? Is it just a chip reflashing or is there any thing else with the turbo, throttle (I have seen alot of threads about throttle cable or something), or tranny?

I wish they made these things in a straight 6 speed on the floor. That slap stick is gay as hell and doesn't shift when I want.(bj)

I sincerely doubt that the transmission has any sexual preference at all.

Tranny's Sex Preference

Since I have a Yakima Basket on top of my "half-sized minivan", I would definitely say it is gay...No whether it's dude gay or chick gay is another issue.

Loved the comment about useable space though...So true(argh)

Keep in mind both 5th and 6th are overdrives.

With a 3800lbs car going up a hill at 60+ cruising it will drop down if the hill is steep enough. That is normal to keep you going without having to stomp the gas pedal.

If it is hunting constantly between 5th and 6th even on the flats you need to get the TCU reflash done. Mine started doing this when the ECU reflash was done. The TCU reflash cured it and also improved the auto and manual shifting.

I get 21-22mpg. It takes a light foot most of the time to do so. If you Zoom your mileage WILL vary downward.

There really is no turbo lag. The car has Throttle by Wire and the Engine Control Unit ECU was originally programmed to govern power below 2,500 rpms. Even if you floored it you only got partial throttle until the ECU decided you were going fast enough for all the gas. The reflash helps with this a lot though it still does not give you WOT right away which is what I want. I guess Mazda is afraid of owners breaking stuff under warranty.

Last edited:
Agree about 5 and 6 being overdrive - to the extent that under hard driving it stays in 4th past 120km/hr.

After getting a CEL examined tomorrow (gas cap because it's getting colder?), I'll take it for the TCU reflash and see if the 5/6 shift hunting changes noticeable, not that I find it all that annoying

Alpha Wolf - I do wonder why it's slow to do anything off the line. It's not the turbo lag, or the partial throttle that I would most like to change, but the lag of .3 to .5 seconds before doing anything when you're in low revs.

You know, you're driving at about 10 to turn left, probably still in 3rd as it hasn't dropped to 1 yet - you see your chance and go ......... there is a short delay, maybe it shifts to 2 or 1, you inch along a bit, then off you go (or if you've floored it OFF YOU GO!). Sometimes just too much too late.

Yes, it's better having driven for a while, and learned the car, keeping in manual a bit more, anticipating the delay - but there's still some times where it just seems to sit there doing very little, for too long. I don't know if WOT would help, is it possible there is just a delay moving the throttle to begin with??

I blame it on the Drive By Wire system, I looked into the sprintbooster, but I didn't know what one to get for Mazda's, or how to order one.

Does DBW have an inherent slowness? Maybe needs a faster chip !?

I googled for "DWB slow" and there are cases across the board. One group of Lexus owners would reinstall a throttle cable and reported instant response. Even if we could move the throttle manually at first, and then let the ECU take over .5 seconds later would that help? Is our throttle at all modifiable?

Last edited:
Wonder if all mazda's use the same one. This one from Italy is BDJ 601A

http://www.sprintbooster.it/doc/sprint_booster_catalogue_07_07_eng.pdf

Somewhat underwhelming review of this device here, though others claim it helps
http://bipesauto.com/sprintbooster

Sprintbooster appears to amplify the throttle signal so you get more throttle at a given point but will not help reduce throttle delay. Plus if the ECU says "for these conditions I'm only giving you 50% throttle" then it won't help either. What if the adaptive mapping could be replaced with "Sport" and "Econo", or if a full-to-the-floor gave full throttle?

I still wonder if my "open throttle manually for a brief instant" would help... I'm sure all kinds of CEL codes would come out of that!

Last edited:
Back