Just A Few Questions B4 I Buy A Catback

carter1551

:
03 Mp5
Im very close to buying a racing beat catback system. I have a few questions that Id love to have answered before I spring for it.

1. Will I have any troubles with smog? I live in California (I have no other mods installed)
Heres the type of smog check that has to be performed in my area;

In an Enhanced Area, you must obtain your inspection at a Smog Check station which has the BAR-97 Emissions Inspection System, the most modern type of test equipment. Your car will be tested for harmful levels of emissions of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and Oxides of Nitrogen, an important smog-forming compound. All Smog Check stations in Enhanced areas are required to have the BAR-97 equipment. Your car must be tested every two years, when sold, or upon initial California registration. If your registration renewal notice indicates your vehicle has been directed to a Test-Only Center, then you must bring it to one of these types of stations, which offer testing but no repairs.

2. Will the dealership be able to void the warranty on anything other than the exhaust itself?
If my transmission fails the cant blame it on the exhaust right?

carter1551 said:
Im very close to buying a racing beat catback system. I have a few questions that Id love to have answered before I spring for it.

1. Will I have any troubles with smog? I live in California (I have no other mods installed)
Heres the type of smog check that has to be performed in my area;

In an Enhanced Area, you must obtain your inspection at a Smog Check station which has the BAR-97 Emissions Inspection System, the most modern type of test equipment. Your car will be tested for harmful levels of emissions of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and Oxides of Nitrogen, an important smog-forming compound. All Smog Check stations in Enhanced areas are required to have the BAR-97 equipment. Your car must be tested every two years, when sold, or upon initial California registration. If your registration renewal notice indicates your vehicle has been directed to a Test-Only Center, then you must bring it to one of these types of stations, which offer testing but no repairs.

2. Will the dealership be able to void the warranty on anything other than the exhaust itself?
If my transmission fails the cant blame it on the exhaust right?

you will have no problems passing smog, i ran a catback on my 2000 s10 pickup and was never hassled, there is nothing emissions-wise prohibiting a new length of pipe and a new muffler on a vehicle. the dealership could always try and screw you on the warranty no matter what you do. It just depends on the dealerships philosophy. They might not care, or they might see it as a way out of paying for repairs that they ought to. They might take into consideration that racing beat has supplied mazda with parts for the mp3 and whatnot so its almost "factory".

The Racing Beat is not going to have an effect on smog testing. It does nothing to alter any of the components involved with emissions. How much of your warranty is left? It can't be much, and the Magnusson-Moss act allows you to do what you want to your car to some degree: aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

The only thing a catback could possibly cause problems is with noise. If there's a noise ordinance or something that could be a problem (though that's with an intake and header; and it looks like you won't have a header)

qualityrockola said:
you will have no problems passing smog, i ran a catback on my 2000 s10 pickup and was never hassled, there is nothing emissions-wise prohibiting a new length of pipe and a new muffler on a vehicle. the dealership could always try and screw you on the warranty no matter what you do. It just depends on the dealerships philosophy. They might not care, or they might see it as a way out of paying for repairs that they ought to. They might take into consideration that racing beat has supplied mazda with parts for the mp3 and whatnot so its almost "factory".

I talked to my local dealers and they wont even install it for me. I was disapointed and I pointed out that racing beat is affiliated with mazda and was hoping for a better stance from the dealership considering they obviously trust racing beat and have had them design parts for their some of their cars that are sold right off the lot!

Get a set of ramps and do it yourself. The biggest problem will be getting the bolts loose. Once you get them off, it's really easy. May help to have a friend for an extra set of hands and to help you drink beer when you're done ;)

And as for noise, the RB is only MARGINALLY louder than stock

I would do it myself but I dont want my mom to find out. Shell be buggin me about wasting money on my car again. Probably just take it to midas.

Wow, I called a few places they wanted like 150 dollars. I mean it would take them no time at all because they have lifts and all the right toos and itd be so fast. Any members live near me that have a place we could do it?

Please don't pay anyone to do this. If your mom doesn't want you dropping money into the car she'll be really pissed when she finds out you paid someone $150 to install an exhaust system when you could have done it yourself for free, and spent the install money on some new exhaust hangers and other things. Somebody hook this guy up! In California that old stock exhaust ought to unbolt even easier than mine did here in Texas.

I dont get why she gets pissed .She tells me that I need to be saving money for college which I am. I save more money monthly than I drop into my car but I guess she doesnt understand. I figure the racing beat is fairly quiet so she wont notice and if she does notice Ill just tell her its always been that loud, lol shell buy it. Also does the rb catback come with everything needed for the install?

cool! I kinda wanted a pocketbike but not sure where I could run it around here so Im probably gonna go ahead and get the catback next week when I get my tax return

Holy crap, yeah...get the RB. Whenever I see a pocketbike now I'm going to think of Dane Cook in "Employee of the Month" riding that POS to work. I hate those things.

Back