jri4's 2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 Sport Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick little update: My birthday week was very good to me--as I already mentioned, my hi-beam headlights are now colormatched to the 6000k 55w HID low-beams. The hi-beams add hardly any light output, but the HIDs are bright enough already! The colors look perfect!

Also, my girlfriend with the help of a few awesome contacts on here worked to buy me the TWM full replacement short shifter! The thing looks the part of a beast! I hope to put it in on Saturday evening! I am super excited! I had no clue that was coming! Those of you who knew about it, definitely had me fooled! Thank you!

I have also saved up enough money now that I can purchase either tires or coilovers come spring. What sucks is it has to be one or the other and I need both. Here is the dillemma:

1) Shocks leak--BAD. Need some sort of replacement and my motto is, "when it breaks, upgrade!" I want either BC or H&R coilovers
2) OZs have bald tires--OEMs have Cooper Zeon ZPT All Seasons in 215mm with between 20-25k miles. I could switch the All seasons over and run them for one last summer, but I will be tracking the car at least three times in the spring.

What do you think? I am not making a purchase until the spring in case something comes up and I need the money in an emergency.

Last edited:
A quick little update: My birthday week was very good to me--as I already mentioned, my hi-beam headlights are now colormatched to the 6000k 55w HID low-beams. The hi-beams add hardly any light output, but the HIDs are bright enough already! The colors look perfect!

Also, my girlfriend with the help of a few awesome contacts on here worked to buy me the TWM full replacement short shifter! The thing looks the part of a beast! I hope to put it in on Saturday evening! I am super excited! I had no clue that was coming! Those of you who knew about it, definitely had me fooled! Thank you!

Congrats on the shifter and happy birthday man! I can't wait to see and feel it haha

I expect to see you @ Mid-Ohio in April 2011!!! Also, we have 4 225/45/18 SPT's that were on Lauri's car. They still have some decent tread left on them that you can use, just make me an offer if you want them. I will have her take pics of them and we'll shoot them over to you. I would get the coilovers first and foremost, as we can find you tires for your car.

You guys are the greatest! Just throwing that out there!

Marlon I will probably take you up on your tires if you can hold onto them until Spring. If you get rid of them before that, well, that's fine too!I just need them to last the whole summer including at least the one 20 minute track session.

You guys are the greatest! Just throwing that out there!

Marlon I will probably take you up on your tires if you can hold onto them until Spring. If you get rid of them before that, well, that's fine too!I just need them to last the whole summer including at least the one 20 minute track session.

Consider it done, we'll have them for you whne youare ready. enjoy the shifter and let me know if you need anything else.!

Congrats on the shifter and happy birthday man! I can't wait to see and feel it haha

Thanks! I think I am putting the shifter in tonight, so we will see how it goes! I'm pretty excited, and hope I get it in because if not, it's gotta wait until Tuesday evening...

TWM Full Replacement Short Shifter is in and functional! Install (from opening the door to the garage to closing it after everything was put away) took about 2.5 hours because of a few snags, but otherwise went pretty smooth. TWM provides instructions, however, one page was mysteriously missing. Also, the installation manual is supposedly online, but since this product is so new, I don't believe they put it up yet (at least I couldn't find it).

Here is the shifter with my girlfriend's handmade birthday card because she is so awesome!

TWMShifter001 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Doin' work

TWMShifter002 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Stock OEM shifter assembly

TWMShifter005 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Side-by-side comparisons

TWMShifter007 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

TWMShifter008 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

TWMShifter009 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

New shifter in place

TWMShifter011 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

All done! Mandatory "Detroit Lean" photo

TWMShifter012 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Pictures for size reference

TWMShifter013 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

TWMShifter014 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Snags along the way:
-could not push the shifter cables into place on the shifter...had to hammer them in-it is almost as if the metal of the shifter is a hair too think to slide in the groove on the shifter cable bracket
-missing instruction page caused me to forget to put on these clamp thingies for the shifter cables...had the entire thing together and tore it all back out in a rage, LOL

Impressions:
-1st gear now sits where 3rd gear was
-5th gear is in same relative position
-The distance between 1st and 3rd (the 2-3 shift) is soooo close it was hard to get used to! I love it though
-Definitely need a new shift boot
-Shifts are shorter, and "lock" into place with a 'click' although more effort is required to physically push the lever into gear

Overall, it looks great and my shifts are much better timed, meaning less bucking and weird shifting! Once I get used to the 2-3 shift being so close (as well as the 3-2 downshift, that seems even harder), the entire thing will feel fantastic. I can't wait to get on the track in April, yeah! A big thank you to Marlon, Stephen, Evan, and the gang, as well as my GF for making this possible! Thanks!

Looks sweet!! New boot is a must! Also, if you get a TWM weighted shift knob, it might fix the issue requiring more effort to push it into gear. I look forward to feeling your shifter!!

TWM Full Replacement Short Shifter is in and functional! Install (from opening the door to the garage to closing it after everything was put away) took about 2.5 hours because of a few snags, but otherwise went pretty smooth. TWM provides instructions, however, one page was mysteriously missing. Also, the installation manual is supposedly online, but since this product is so new, I don't believe they put it up yet (at least I couldn't find it).

Here is the shifter with my girlfriend's handmade birthday card because she is so awesome!

TWMShifter001 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Doin' work

TWMShifter002 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Stock OEM shifter assembly

TWMShifter005 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Side-by-side comparisons

TWMShifter007 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

TWMShifter008 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

TWMShifter009 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

New shifter in place

TWMShifter011 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

All done! Mandatory "Detroit Lean" photo

TWMShifter012 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Pictures for size reference

TWMShifter013 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

TWMShifter014 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Snags along the way:
-could not push the shifter cables into place on the shifter...had to hammer them in-it is almost as if the metal of the shifter is a hair too think to slide in the groove on the shifter cable bracket
-missing instruction page caused me to forget to put on these clamp thingies for the shifter cables...had the entire thing together and tore it all back out in a rage, LOL

Impressions:
-1st gear now sits where 3rd gear was
-5th gear is in same relative position
-The distance between 1st and 3rd (the 2-3 shift) is soooo close it was hard to get used to! I love it though
-Definitely need a new shift boot
-Shifts are shorter, and "lock" into place with a 'click' although more effort is required to physically push the lever into gear

Overall, it looks great and my shifts are much better timed, meaning less bucking and weird shifting! Once I get used to the 2-3 shift being so close (as well as the 3-2 downshift, that seems even harder), the entire thing will feel fantastic. I can't wait to get on the track in April, yeah! A big thank you to Marlon, Stephen, Evan, and the gang, as well as my GF for making this possible! Thanks!

Please send your impressions to TWM for me Chippy. Also send the pics as well to sales@twmperformance.com

Thanks!

I like how your GF even put the red calipers inside the green wheels on your card. Well done! :)

Next modification will be a custom-wrapped interior. I am going to make a DIY shift boot, wrap the fabric part of the door panels, and do a tiny bit of the trim in a certain pattern. Not decided entirely yet, but I believe I am going to try this:

blackred_paisley_lg.jpg

Gotta get Levi in here to help me with that one! He's done his 3 interior a couple times...

Hopefully the interior is DIY and cheap! I have to tell myself not to buy anything until Spring! I have nearly $1000 set aside in a savings account that I hope not to touch--all for coilovers! Of course, student teaching in the spring means working 7 to 3 Mon-Fri for no pay for 16 weeks! But I hope to have enough saved up to buy coilovers and tires dipping into my credit card as little as possible. For Christmas, however, I might be getting small stuff that I have always wanted, such as:

-Boost gauge
-LED Fog lights colormatched (so all my lighting is the same)
-LED interior lighting
-Redline Tuning Hoodlifts

I guess we will see. No rush on the above stuff, but new rubber and a new suspension setup is a MUST for safe driveability. Brakes are due soon as well, because if I slowly apply pressure and crawl to a stop they squeak like crazy!

Next modification will be a custom-wrapped interior. I am going to make a DIY shift boot, wrap the fabric part of the door panels, and do a tiny bit of the trim in a certain pattern. Not decided entirely yet, but I believe I am going to try this:

blackred_paisley_lg.jpg

Gotta get Levi in here to help me with that one! He's done his 3 interior a couple times...

Hopefully the interior is DIY and cheap! I have to tell myself not to buy anything until Spring! I have nearly $1000 set aside in a savings account that I hope not to touch--all for coilovers! Of course, student teaching in the spring means working 7 to 3 Mon-Fri for no pay for 16 weeks! But I hope to have enough saved up to buy coilovers and tires dipping into my credit card as little as possible. For Christmas, however, I might be getting small stuff that I have always wanted, such as:

-Boost gauge
-LED Fog lights colormatched (so all my lighting is the same)
-LED interior lighting
-Redline Tuning Hoodlifts

I guess we will see. No rush on the above stuff, but new rubber and a new suspension setup is a MUST for safe driveability. Brakes are due soon as well, because if I slowly apply pressure and crawl to a stop they squeak like crazy!

Picture isn't working for me, unless it's supposed to be a donkey haha.

My brakes are also due soon because they squeak A LOT when slowly stopping.

nice install, grats! next is a weighted shift knob to help those shift throws!! :p

well i am at least. you?
Talk to Perro del Sol on here about getting a TWM knob. He is close with those guys--close enough that they give him a paycheck every week, LOL. And he is the Godfather, takes care of things, ya know what i'm sayin? I see a black pearl bombshell in the future....not soon but eventually!

Picture isn't working for me, unless it's supposed to be a donkey haha.

My brakes are also due soon because they squeak A LOT when slowly stopping.

Picture is fine for me...it is not of a donkey LOL...I'll work on it a bit tomorrow
Brakes should be a fun job, and too expensive for me to want to think about right now with my leaking struts...

HAHA it's a picture saying bandwidth limit exceeded. Could be because I'm at Akron on a school computer?

Brakes shouldn't be too difficult...but expensive is correct lol. I'm getting EBC Yellowstuff. They were amazing on my Mazda6, so I can't wait to see how they are on my MS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back