joep installation

socjdqcer

:
Mazdaspeed protege
hey guys i just bought a used joep fdc and it didnt come with installation info, it looks easy, but i dont know where to start. thanks

ok well there are two power wires i believe they are both black...they are polarized so it doesn't matter which one is power and which one is negative...so find a power source then find a negative source ...then if you look on your maf sensor it has three wires connected to it...tap the red wire into the middle wire that you see connected to the maf sensor then start out by getting a small allen wrench and turn the little dial on the FCD all the way out ....start up the car and tune it from there meaning drive it and if you get fuel cut then turn the dial with the allen wrench right (screw it in little by little until you don't get fuel cut) ...don't blow your engine dude by boosting too much...but post pics and vids if you do

thanks man. and i am only at stock boost. it didnt start fuel cutting until i installed my Perrin air intake. also i only notice it when it is cold out, and the car has been sitting.... oh,and what is the brass nipple for? vacuum line? i dont know. thank you very much for the help, Jared

yeah you need to T off of the vaccum, the way the switch works is it blocks the peak signal from your maf to the ecu until a preset boost level is met, which is what the adjustment knob is for. Mine is hooked into where my Boost guage is. when you hit that preset boost from the vaccum line it opens the swith and lets the signal through to the FCD, so you can push as much as you want, but with it dial right at your safe limit it still will save your ass if you get an overboost spike ie. from a WGA/boost controller failure...
basically, just hook a VAC line to it

has anyone by chance heard anymore on this? i'm looking into the fdc for my msp and was wondering how it's worked out for anyone using it.

its FCD. and theres a reason theres a fuel cut. Its the car protecting itself.

Some sort of ems is a better choice. Unless you need the FCD to run your ems.

Get a split second afc. It will run better and you wont cut.

With a good tune I didn't have a need for the fcd until about 17psi with my old vf-22 turbo around 300whp...started getting an occasional maf high input voltage even with a good map. This was along with my J&S handling timing and Haltech F10 for fuel.

How is that? i get fuel cut at first right now because my boost spikes to 10 psi and then it will stop cutting out when the boost settles around 7-8ish, its sputtering but my AFRs are at 10.0 and my boost is stable so i know its the MAF making the car do it. so i belive that the FCD would stop my car from doing this. also its just when the turbo spools up, it only sputters for like one second when the boost is spiked to 10 psi. also the temp around her is about 40 degrees.

Edit 4/7/09: I changed the spark plugs and it stop doing this, it turns out my spark was blowing out?! WTF who would have thought at 8 pounds of boost.

Last edited:
Ran across this thread looking for install directions and was a bit confused regarding reference to three wires. Axisboldaslove mentioned that there were two black wires, one for ground and one for power as well as a red wire for tapping into the MAF. I figured out the install myself and it's working fine, but my particular model just has two black wires. One for the MAF/ECU tap and one for a ground. Just wanted to clarify this in case anyone has my particular model of the FCD as it seems there are more than one.

its FCD. and theres a reason theres a fuel cut. Its the car protecting itself.

Some sort of ems is a better choice. Unless you need the FCD to run your ems.

Get a split second afc. It will run better and you wont cut.

I found that my fuel cut feeling was in actually caused by a WGA when we upgraded that the fuel cut stopped.
Fuel Cut is a safety mechanism there to save your motor. Try replacing the WGA with an ATP Or Forge Unit and see if you still have Cut. If so get a Split second and tune around it.

Ran across this thread looking for install directions and was a bit confused regarding reference to three wires. Axisboldaslove mentioned that there were two black wires, one for ground and one for power as well as a red wire for tapping into the MAF. I figured out the install myself and it's working fine, but my particular model just has two black wires. One for the MAF/ECU tap and one for a ground. Just wanted to clarify this in case anyone has my particular model of the FCD as it seems there are more than one.

What color wire is the MAF/ECU wire? And hook up any of the black wires on the fcd to the MAF/ECU wire correct?

Why are people still running this thing?
The only people that should be running this thing are those that NEED IT TO FURTHER TUNE there already aftermarket EMS. Anyone else is asking for trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back