JDM MSP Quest

enjoi_music

:
Mazdaspeed Protege ES
Hello all! I recently got a Jetta 1.8t and this is my goodbye to Mazda. For the last 5 years I have been through thick and thin with my protege and my quest to make it a JDM Mazdaspeed protege becuase doesnt that just sound cool? I focused all my efforts into preformance but never completed the JDM body style :(. After 2 engine rebuilds, 3 transmission and a bunch of other problems I decided to end the dream. I just wanted to post a mod list and cars I have beaten all motor. Most cars were friends so we had time to test. I made way more power with my magnaflow exhaust and my stock midpipe, and I know If I could have installed my Megasquirt2 ecu it would have unlocked its full potential.
Yeah the Protege sucks all motor but with a little more love then I gave it I'm sure youd be pleased.
Killing record:
00 & 05 Civic si heavily modded (and all other D-series I've raced)
98 civic Hatch B20 swap (And most other B-series besides heavily modded b16a's and b18c's)
Base model K series (rsx,accord,civics)
2003 Mazda 6 GT
Hyundia Tiburons (i/h/e)
Ford Focus
Ford Probe
Volkswagon Golf n/a (heavily modded)
I was also able to stay side by side with a Nissan SER Spec V and a RSX Type S (both with intake and axlebacks) Which I was very pleased about.
So the Protege does have potential n/a! Don't let anyone tell you different :) More compression, a tune, head work, custom cams & LSD would be my only wish. Enjoi!

For Engine work:
Block was honed and planed
Corksport FS-ZE replica Exhaust Cam
FS-ZE Mazda Intake Cam
FS-ZE 10.4:1 pistons
Eibach titanium Springs & Retainers
MP3 Ecu Reflash
AEM CAI
FS-ZE Intake Manifold
JDM 4-2-1 Header Heat Wraped
Corksport full exhaust w/ magnaflow highflow cat w/ corksport hangers (Originally had a Magnaflow catback and it made way more torque an power N/A then the corksport and was the resason I could keep up to my friends SER SpecV)
E3 spark plugs, 1.8 Coil Pack, 8.5mm Spark plug wires, 626 Valve cover swap (FS-ZE Ignition swap)
Corksport front/rear Motor mounts
AWR side motor mounts

Transmission:
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch/Pressure plate
JDM FS-ZE 15lb Flywheel
Short Shifter
Stainless Braided Clutchline
Shifter Bushing
Bronze oil bushings
There was NO lsd :(

What is going on in here?

Would've loved a dyno.........Very curious to see how well the MP3 ecu handles ZE compression pistons, and if the ignition changes work considering the changed assembly geometry.

just to clear all that up...This was a conversion to a 2001 JDM Mazdaspeed Familia, a small production run of what was effectively the Japanese version of our MP3. It housed an FS-ZE engine, with a new exhaust cam shaft, a factory Mazdaspeed produced (the 'real' Mazdaspeed, not what mazda has attached to the US market) long primary 4-2-1 header, a 3lb lighter flywheel, and a computer extending redline to 7250 rpm (limited being north of 7500)...it also had a full set of Mazdaspeed sourced struts (built by Koni iirc), springs, and swaybars...I never saw it confirmed by mazda, but the generally accepted output was ~185ps...a bump of nearly 15 hp from the standard FS-ZE equipped cars...it was the most powerful factory built BJ chassis Mazda ever produced. Originally, the Mazdaspeed Protege was to be the first North American 3rd gen to use some form of the FS-ZE, but its sensor and harness, as well as emissions system layout was never designed for OBD-II use...Not to mention US love of torque...which tabled all that in favor of a US sourced turbo system from Callaway. The Mazdaspeed Protege was also of the start of the marketing gimmick of using "mazdaspeed" on factory cars, despite having zero influence by the JDM in house tuner. Not complaining, just saying what we have in the US has never had anything to do with mazdaspeed as a parts supplier and builder.

there never was a 'JDM Mazdaspeed Protege'...as in, there never was a japanese turbo protege...and there were only about 750 Mazdaspeed Familias produced.

750 mazdaspeed familias like the 2 gen? For what I know, They made some mazdaspeed familias 2 gen and distributed it in Japan, Philippines and Singapore only. Im not sure if there was only 750. I for one saw an actual JDM mazdaspeed 2gen when i was in the Philippines which made me want one when I moved here in the US. Thus, Collecting actual original jdm parts from the 2generation.

750 mazdaspeed familias like the 2 gen? For what I know, They made some mazdaspeed familias 2 gen and distributed it in Japan, Philippines and Singapore only. Im not sure if there was only 750. I for one saw an actual JDM mazdaspeed 2gen when i was in the Philippines which made me want one when I moved here in the US. Thus, Collecting actual original jdm parts from the 2generation.

Not sure what you mean by '2 gen'? The BJ 323 family is the '3rd generation', and was the final mass production run before the release of the Mazda 3. I'm not sure of where the mazdaspeed familia was released though, so i could be wrong on most of it haha. Are you talking about a JDM MS version of the 2nd gen proteges, like in your sig? I'm not familiar with those cars at all.

EDIT: yeah, i'm an idiot. My catalog had info on both generations, but according to that, it was 750 in total for both.

Tweety, back in 2003 i had a Mazdaspeed Catalog sent to me from an exchange student that lived in Tokyo (was in my physics class in college, mailed it to me when he went home for the summer)...it was entirely in Japanese, but he translated most of the Familia line for me. According to that, there were 500 initial 2001 Mazdaspeed Familia cars produced for the 'Japanese market' (not sure if that is only Japan, though)...which sold out in less than a month, and Mazda and Mazdaspeed agreed to produce 250 more, as a 2001.5 type of thing. That is where i got the 750 from, but there could be some things lost in that translation. The catalog also included actual part numbers for nearly all of the different stuff the MS familia had (the header, exhaust cam, ecu, suspension components, etc...all totaling up to more than half what i paid for my p5 new haha), and it was the only place i ever saw the car's power output factored at 185ps...as well as all the JDM MS aftermarket parts offered.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?31432-MP3-Production-Numbers-Who-Is-Left/page19

Post# 545

Generally I would say I read it wrong or the source was wrong but, considering it came from theman it was worth digging up and finding and sharing

If it came from Ed, its right haha.

The weird thing is he mentions all MSF's are laser blue (and i believe had gold wheels)...in my brochure, it pictured 2001 MSF's as blue...and 2001.5 (if you could call them that, as it seems they aren't 'real') were white...with the same wheels. So it must have been either a lost in translation issue between my friend and I (definitely as he was clearly saying there were 500 initially), or Mazdaspeed in Japan just offered a full package for the Familia; like a MSF conversion or something...that would therefor not include a specific VIN.

The only pictures I've ever seen of them are blue with the gold racing harts. But maybe Japan got a special model we don't know about

Back