JD Power 2007 IQS: Mazda next to last

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
JD Power just released the results of their 2007 Initial Quality Study (IQS), and Mazda is next to last, with only Land Rover doing worse.

I've been seeing high repair rates in TrueDelta's research for some of the newer Mazda models, but figured this might be because my sample sizes for these models are too small for me to consider the results solid.

Now it's looking like the numbers I've been seeing might be valid after all.

In contrast, Ford did very well this year, with many models the best in their segments.

One thing to keep in mind is how tight the scores are. The best is 91 per 100, the average is 125, and Mazda is 163. The difference from best to worst is less than a problem per car.

Article over at CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/06/06/jdpa_quality/index.html

Ranking chart at bottom of press release here:

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/pressrelease.aspx?id=2007088

Last edited:
P5w3kids said:
JD Power just released the results of their 2007 Initial Quality Study (IQS), and Mazda is next to last, with only Land Rover doing worse.

I've been seeing high repair rates in TrueDelta's research for some of the newer Mazda models, but figured this might be because my sample sizes for these models are too small for me to consider the results solid.

Now it's looking like the numbers I've been seeing might be valid after all.

In contrast, Ford did very well this year, with many models the best in their segments.

One thing to keep in mind is how tight the scores are. The best is 91 per 100, the average is 125, and Mazda is 163. The difference from best to worst is less than a problem per car.

Article over at CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/06/06/jdpa_quality/index.html

Ranking chart posted at GMInsideNews:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50439

I wouldnt take too much stock in J.D. Power initial quality. Very flawed methodology.

http://www.truedelta.com/reliability.php?session_code=

That's my site.

In JD's case the problem isn't how they gather the data. Instead, it's that they combine two different things--design quality and production quality--and that the absolute size of the differences is so small that it's often not meaningful.

Mazda is doing worse than average, but the difference between Mazda and the average is about 1/3 of a problem per car. Are you going to buy your second or third choice to avoid 1/3 of a problem, or even 2/3 of a problem?

Probably not.

The differences between models within a brand are usually larger than those between brands. Most Mazdas have very good IQS scores. But clearly a few are now bad enough to drag the brand's average to the bottom.

My suspicion, based on very small sample sizes, is that the CX-7 is one of those not doing so well. I'll know more in a month or so, when the current quarter's results for my survey start to come in.

A blog entry I recently posted goes into more detail:

JD Power 2007 IQS: tightest spread yet

Last edited:
I have to completely agree with there findings. Mazda's quality has been terrible over the last few years. I saw that in unacceptable problmes with all of them that I had.
They are also the worst company out there when it comes to addressing a real problem. Hell if it wasnt for people on this site there still would not even be a TSB for the clunking rear ends of the MP3/MSP. Add to the that the MS6 turbo smoke, and now the Speed3 having engines fall the hell out of the car and I can completely understand JDs finding. Thats why I have a Toyota now. I had WAY to many problems with the Protege and 6.
I actualy feel alot better now that the damn protege is out of my driveway and there is a G5 there instead (wife's car) The interior absolutely sucks but I can sleep at night without worrying what will break next. For a suppoesedly "reliable car" we were spending over $350 a month in repairs on a 2 year old protege with 60000 miles.

Its a shame to since I was a real mazda fan. If the quality wasnt complete s***, i would go to a mazda dealer before anywhere else. Now I wont even consider them at all. its not worth the potential headache.

Last edited:
I am happy for you but for me and alot of other people that is not the case.
There is a thread going right now with all of the people that have had to replace a motor in the P5 and other proteges so I know I am not alone.
Its all about percentages. If one car company has a 15% failure rate and another a 2%, then I am going with the 2%.

but (keeping in mind that i have no ide awhat "percentage" you're using) the point of the thread is that the "percentage" is more like 2% vs. 3%; in other words, statistically insignificant.

your anecdotal evidence is not any more valid than nealric's, or mine (drove my old protege from 140,000 to 225,000: zero problems. i have 65,000 on the '02 ES i bought new: zero problems). i'm sad for you but for me, nealric, and alot of other people, reliability has been fine.

mazda has (IMO) been introducing too many brand-new models too close together. the normal "new model bugs" are therefore much more noticeable w/out some ironed-out models to balance.

1sty said:
I am happy for you but for me and alot of other people that is not the case.
There is a thread going right now with all of the people that have had to replace a motor in the P5 and other proteges so I know I am not alone.
Its all about percentages. If one car company has a 15% failure rate and another a 2%, then I am going with the 2%.

AMEN. Nice to see a non fanboy speak out.

I would like my next car to be a Volkswagen, hopefully this....

2007 Volkswagen Golf GTI Fahrenheit

img3857yf3.jpg

img3858zr7.jpg

img3859ea3.jpg

Canadian Bear said:
I would like my next car to be a Volkswagen, hopefully this....

2007 Volkswagen Golf GTI Fahrenheit
Because they are ultra-quality too, right?

BradC said:
Because they are ultra-quality too, right?

Where is it typed in my response about "ultra quality"? There is no "ultra quality" vehicle out there. They are mechanical and they will have flaws at some point. And, I have noted your sarcasm.

Canadian Bear said:
Where is it typed in my response about "ultra quality"? There is no "ultra quality" vehicle out there. They are mechanical and they will have flaws at some point. And, I have noted your sarcasm.
I know you didn't say ultra-quality, I was just saying that they suck too, but to each their own...as long as it makes you happy.

Thanks for noting the sarcasm, I was just busting your balls

BradC said:
I know you didn't say ultra-quality, I was just saying that they suck too, but to each their own...as long as it makes you happy.

Thanks for noting the sarcasm, I was just busting your balls

Honestly, they only "suck" because that is your opinion. That is not the general response from Volkswagen owners. Just like Mazda owners, not everyone thinks they "suck". It is all a matter of preference, and how well you look after your vehicle. Lemons are imminent with any vehicle manufacturer.

I am a Mazda and Ford owner. I am not a fanboy/spokesperson/salesman for either company (although Ford owns Mazda). I really enjoy my Protege, but it is not a vehicle that I will have for long. Because I didn't buy it new, I am not sold on it yet. It is fun to drive and has most of the features that I like about a car, but, it isn't my "dream car". As for my Ford, well, my minivan has the worst fuel mileage I have ever had with any vehicle. And, it can't compete with the Import minivans as far as comfort, fuel mileage, etc. Even though the Domestic minivans are cheaper then Import minivans, that is their only selling point. By the way, Ford and GM are discontinuing their minivan production after 2008. They can't compete.

Canadian Bear said:
Honestly, they only "suck" because that is your opinion. That is not the general response from Volkswagen owners. Just like Mazda owners, not everyone thinks they "suck". It is all a matter of preference, and how well you look after your vehicle. Lemons are imminent with any vehicle manufacturer.

I am a Mazda and Ford owner. I am not a fanboy/spokesperson/salesman for either company (although Ford owns Mazda). I really enjoy my Protege, but it is not a vehicle that I will have for long. Because I didn't buy it new, I am not sold on it yet. It is fun to drive and has most of the features that I like about a car, but, it isn't my "dream car". As for my Ford, well, my minivan has the worst fuel mileage I have ever had with any vehicle. And, it can't compete with the Import minivans as far as comfort, fuel mileage, etc. Even though the Domestic minivans are cheaper then Import minivans, that is their only selling point. By the way, Ford and GM are discontinuing their minivan production after 2008. They can't compete.

They don't suck because its my opinion, they suck because the have quality issues. As do Mazdas, which suck as well. Doesn't mean I dont like mine and you cant like you GTi.

BradC said:
They don't suck because its my opinion, they suck because the have quality issues. As do Mazdas, which suck as well. Doesn't mean I dont like mine and you cant like you GTi.

Fair enough.

1sty said:
I have to completely agree with there findings. Mazda's quality has been terrible over the last few years. I saw that in unacceptable problmes with all of them that I had.
They are also the worst company out there when it comes to addressing a real problem. Hell if it wasnt for people on this site there still would not even be a TSB for the clunking rear ends of the MP3/MSP. Add to the that the MS6 turbo smoke, and now the Speed3 having engines fall the hell out of the car and I can completely understand JDs finding. Thats why I have a Toyota now. I had WAY to many problems with the Protege and 6.
I actualy feel alot better now that the damn protege is out of my driveway and there is a G5 there instead (wife's car) The interior absolutely sucks but I can sleep at night without worrying what will break next. For a suppoesedly "reliable car" we were spending over $350 a month in repairs on a 2 year old protege with 60000 miles.

Its a shame to since I was a real mazda fan. If the quality wasnt complete s***, i would go to a mazda dealer before anywhere else. Now I wont even consider them at all. its not worth the potential headache.
LOL, yet one more time we agree on things. That is the same reason I didn't go back to mazda when I bought the Jeep. I was looking at the B3000 4x4, but the lack of power and after market and the fact that they still use fords body and you have to kick them in the ass to fix things, oh and the price for it
(run on!), I went with the jeep. If it wasn't for this site my I would of had to pay for a new clutch with only 20k miles on it. But one I showed them all of the people that were having the same problem the miatas were having the did it for free. And god don't get in a wreck! With so many crumple zones it tears up everything.

dmitrik4 said:
but (keeping in mind that i have no ide awhat "percentage" you're using) the point of the thread is that the "percentage" is more like 2% vs. 3%; in other words, statistically insignificant.

your anecdotal evidence is not any more valid than nealric's, or mine (drove my old protege from 140,000 to 225,000: zero problems. i have 65,000 on the '02 ES i bought new: zero problems). i'm sad for you but for me, nealric, and alot of other people, reliability has been fine.

mazda has (IMO) been introducing too many brand-new models too close together. the normal "new model bugs" are therefore much more noticeable w/out some ironed-out models to balance.
But some of the problems that they are having should never have made it to the production car! Like the motor falling out of the car........(headshake

Hughes412 said:
But some of the problems that they are having should never have made it to the production car! Like the motor falling out of the car........(headshake

+ bad turbo seals
+ clunking rear ends

And as JD power is looking at over 100 claims per 100 customers for most brands, low percantage failures are only on a specific failure, not brand wide.

With Toyota if a ball joint could fail within 120,000 miles even if its not going to do so in a wayt that sacrifices safety, they recall it. With mazda, if your engine falls out of the god damn engine compartment it must be your fault.

I think JD's findings are a LOAD OF CRAP!

It's like comparing 0-60 #'s from different car magazines...Everyone has different results and test methods so in the end...The owners are the ones with the real results and these forums ARE NOT overflowing with quality complaint threads...Sure, it's human nature to complain first and praise second but with that in mind...I don't think Mazda's issues are any worse than other makes...certainly not SECOND TO F'IN LAST!!!

If I didn't have a life I would dig up recent reports of Honda and Toyota having MULTIPLE MASSIVE recalls over the past few years...It's even been posted in our Auto News Forum...I think Mazda only had one massive recall since the early-mid 90's and that was for "Domestic" models.

PS...The Germans seem to think Mazda ain't that bad!

Mazda Awarded First Place in "Quality Report" for the Third Year!

Back