J-Spec Intake Manifold

AnthonyO3

:
Mazda "Blue" Mp3
I was just thinking about it. Is the J-Spec manifold really worth the money? How much of a power gain should we expect on a Mp3 and also is the manifold compatiable with the mp3? Also if you plan to go turbo, will the Manifold add major power gains or will it cause a problem?

I remember reading about it once. It seems that the whole kit brings it up around 170 Hp but that what with more than just the intake. Dont know about individual gains tho.

i shall add some useful comments.

manifold wont get you much gains. it gets rid of the VICS butterfly valves. search for TheMan's post about it on protegeclub.com he made a really nice write up about installing it with the cams, incliding dyno runs.

to sum it up though he believes that the intake manifold helps smooth out the powerband. i read it a long time ago, though, so go read it for yourself.

if you want the whole shabang from the jpec motor (including intake/ exhaust cams, high compression pistons) you might get 125 to the wheels. very NOT impressive, not for the cost. also you probably wont be getting the ECU hooked up as noone has yet to do so, and you will not be CARB legal.

Thanks alot for the info, i had one more question, if you went turbo would it be benifical? or harmful?

Turbo FS-ZE? Linux just blew his up. But he thinks it was just because of a faulty wrist pin I believe.

KYREDP5 said:
Turbo FS-ZE? Linux just blew his up. But he thinks it was just because of a faulty wrist pin I believe.

Linux didn't actually turbo the FS-ZE. Yes it was the j-spec engine, but he pretty much turned it back to a FS-DE before he turboed it. The high compression in the FS-ZE won't take kindly to a turbo.

And he broke his rod. Glad to hear that his engine is repaired now.:)

turbo can be "beneficial" if you do it right and do not push the engine harder than it can take. for linux and I it was "harmful" when we both blew our engines to smithereens :(.

in my case, i boosted too high without compensating for lack of fuel to the engine, busted the crank, bent a few rods and blasted four holes in the engine block when a piece of the rod started whipping around inside the combustion chamber. not pretty.

redrims said:

Linux didn't actually turbo the FS-ZE. Yes it was the j-spec engine, but he pretty much turned it back to a FS-DE before he turboed it. The high compression in the FS-ZE won't take kindly to a turbo.

And he broke his rod. Glad to hear that his engine is repaired now.:)

Yeah that's what I thought. I figured you couldn't run a worthwhile amount of boost with High Compression, but I wasn't sure if he changed the pistons or not.

uclap5 said:
i shall add some useful comments.

manifold wont get you much gains. it gets rid of the VICS butterfly valves. search for TheMan's post about it on protegeclub.com he made a really nice write up about installing it with the cams, incliding dyno runs.

to sum it up though he believes that the intake manifold helps smooth out the powerband. i read it a long time ago, though, so go read it for yourself.

if you want the whole shabang from the jpec motor (including intake/ exhaust cams, high compression pistons) you might get 125 to the wheels. very NOT impressive, not for the cost. also you probably wont be getting the ECU hooked up as noone has yet to do so, and you will not be CARB legal.

On the j-spec, aren't the runners longer? If so, it would help torque.

yeah there are more differences, i just didnt take the time to put it in. :p

heres a quote form the protegefaq, courtesy of theMan:
" There are none for the 1.6l (ZM) engine. 1.8l (FP) and 2.0l (FS) owners can swap
in the JDM FS-ZE's intake manifold to help improve top end performance. The
FS-ZE's intake manifold has some basic resonance tuning due to the addition of the
resonance chamber bolted on top of the runners (it is actually connected to the
plenum log chamber). Several modifications to the vacuum line routing will have to
be performed when installing the FS-ZE intake manifold to either of the US spec
engines. First, the FS-ZE's intake manifold does not have a fitting for the boost
sensor. Also, installing the intake manifold on a normal Proteg 2.0l (and 1.8l CA
spec) will mean the loss of the VTCS emissions control component. Intalling the
intake manifold on a "48 state" 1.8l Proteg and a MP3 will not have this issue.
The intake manifold found on the stock 2.0l and 1.8l CA spec Proteg's have the
VTCS component designed to control cold start emissions to help achieve the ULEV
emissions standard. This same system also causes some minor restrictions and air
turbulence in the intake manifold runners. Changing out the intake manifold to one
that does not have VTCS will offer some minor performance improvement however
the vehicle will no longer be emissions legal. The intake manifold from the "48 state"
1.8l Proteg and the MP3 does not have VTCS."

Hummmm.... I see.... I was under the impression that it would help boost up lower end power.

Fair enough, I'll stick with the original plan and change both cams.

Since u seem well knowledgealbe on the FS-ZE engine, would u recommend the JSpec Intake cam and the Mazdaspeed Exhaustr cam or both Mazdaspeed cams?:confused:

hmm, i didnt know mazdaspeed made an intake cam. :p if so do a search cause i dont know anything about it.

you can get both intake and exhaust cams from SR Motorsports or Cork Sport - the duration is longer but the lift is the same. You will see maybe 10 hp gain from adding both.

Back