J-SPec Intake Cam

ScottPro5

:
2006 Mazda 3 2.0
I know this has probably been asked before but......how easy or hard is it to put in the J-Spec cam.

If you have never done it before, it is a daunting task... the hardest things are removing the timing belt and being able to properly align it when finished, and adjusting valve lash (you need a feeler gauge, micrometer, and properly sized shims). Other than that, it is just following instractions.

Check out http://protege5.ugly.net for more info.

ScottPro5 said:
I know this has probably been asked before but......how easy or hard is it to put in the J-Spec cam.

ok thanks. ive replaced a head gasket on 1989 Conquest Tsi before, and on a 1989 N/A Supra. but i guess i should probably take it to a professional huh?

It's a pain in the balls, but you could probably do it yourself.

I didn't know what your mechanical abilities were, so I had to assume that changing oil was a stretch :) With the proper tools, I think you could do it just fine. The hardest part for me was adjusting the valves. The way I had to do it was like this:

1. Install new cams
2. Measure valve clearance
3. Remove cams
4. Measure shims (a micrometer required)
5. Calculate required shim size
6. Install new shims
7. Install new cams
8. Re-measure valve clearance
9. Repeat if necessary

ScottPro5 said:
ok thanks. ive replaced a head gasket on 1989 Conquest Tsi before, and on a 1989 N/A Supra. but i guess i should probably take it to a professional huh?

How is the idle affected? is it really high or erratic? do you actually notice a difference?

Probably about half that, depending on other mods (intake, exhaust, etc.).

Skurge said:
anyone have the actual dyno #'s for this?

i've heard that they claim 12hp?

Back