It's Time For A Rebellion, Better Yet A Revolution. My Guns Will Be Loaded!

Hey man im having the same problem with my MS6. It started when I installed the CPE downpipe. An the Magnaflow catback. CPE told me that their test car did the same thing. That the turbo seals allowed oil to bypass
thru the seals. There's nothing that can be done unless Mazda redesigns the turbo. You can also upgrade the turbo and it will stop thats what im going to
do. Also I have been holding my rpms above 1200 when im stoped any less it will smoke alot " you can not see the back of the car". You can see my other post on here @ anyone ms6 smoke?

Last edited:
seems like everyone is noticing this after installing exhausts....is it possible that its just more evident once an exhaust is installed? I have not noticed this in my car...

wannabe said:
seems like everyone is noticing this after installing exhausts....is it possible that its just more evident once an exhaust is installed? I have not noticed this in my car...

Well when you go to a catless downpipe and a larger exhaust with a less restrictive muffler I would expect it to be easier for burnt oil to make it all the way to the tail pipes.

I suggest instead of going to Mazda you just go outside and scream untill your lungs give out and you pop a blood vessel in your neck. The go inside and have someone kick you in the sack. After that curl up in a ball and cry.

By doing that you will have the same effect as trying to get money from Mazda, but you'll save gas money because you wont have to drive to the dealer.

Afroman said:
Well when you go to a catless downpipe and a larger exhaust with a less restrictive muffler I would expect it to be easier for burnt oil to make it all the way to the tail pipes.

I suggest instead of going to Mazda you just go outside and scream untill your lungs give out and you pop a blood vessel in your neck. The go inside and have someone kick you in the sack. After that curl up in a ball and cry.

By doing that you will have the same effect as trying to get money from Mazda, but you'll save gas money because you wont have to drive to the dealer.

humorous, but a tad harsh don't ya think? ;)

I'm not trying to sue Mazda. The system they designed worked--the cats burned off what little oil made it past the seals--but created a huge bottleneck in the process. I removed the cats, so now I see a little smoke every now and again. Mazda didn't cause the problem--I did, it's a price I'mm will to pay for the extra power.... Unless I start to notice oil loss on the dipstick there really isn't a problem IMO...

speed6guy said:
Hey man im having the same problem with my MS6. It started when I installed the CPE downpipe. An the Magnaflow catback. CPE told me that their test car did the same thing. That the turbo seals allowed oil to bypass
thru the seals. There's nothing that can be done unless Mazda redesigns the turbo. You can also upgrade the turbo and it will stop thats what im going to
do. Also I have been holding my rpms above 1200 when im stoped any less it will smoke alot " you can not see the back of the car". You can see my other post on here @ anyone ms6 smoke?

If your smoking that bad you might have a legitimate problem. I have only had smoke for a minute or two a couple of times after a long warmup. If your getting it all the time you might have grounds to get a new turbo...

wannabe said:

yep..

I didn't ever notice this until I swapped out the downpipe and got rid of the two huge stock cats.

Last edited:
skylinemonster said:
Could you please elaborate on how the pcv valve could possibly cause this?

This is a very common issue with turbo cars. Without going into an elaborate reply, here is a way to eliminate it as the culprit. You can either A. pull the line off your intake and put an inline( the small clear plastic ones on the "chrome isle at Autozone) fuel filter on it and plug the hole on your intake tube, or reconnect it to the intake tube with another piece of hose. Clean out your intake plumbing system first and they drive it for a week and see if the fuel filter starts to get dirty. Below are the 3 outcomes you can have:

1. Fuel filter is soaked in oil and you notice less/no oil in intake piping - Problem Solved

2. Fuel filter is kinda dirty, but same amt of oil in the piping - Problem is your turbo seals. PCV wasn't contributing that much to the issue, but I'd still leave the filter on.

3. Filter is clean, still go oil. I think we know the answer here.

This is the same as a catch can, I just like the fuel filter b/c its cheap, easy, and I can pop my hood and instantly see whats going on without have to get my hands dirty or take something apart.

I should also add that I'm assuming you checked the condition of your pcv to ensure it wasn't clogged with oil already. If its clogged it will allow pressure to buidl in the system causing oil to leak from the turbo seals...

Last edited:
So what I'm taking home from this thread so far is the smoke is by design, and if I don't want to see it, leave the exahust alone? I hope this isn't the case...

let me chime in on this. i own a 2007 MS3 and have this issue BAD at only 3000 miles !! i did not take off the IC to look yet but i'm sure this is the problem. i have a prtotype 3" turboback system on the car now and ever since it was on the car it has been smoking.
a catch can will not help. a catch can catches oil that is slipping past the pcv valve and getting into the intake. that is not the case here. the oil is leaking from the turbo, there is no way to "catch" it. looks like a big turbo upgrade is in order !!!!

hmm ok thats what I was trying to determine was if this was an actual design flaw in the turbo seals or standard blow by from postive crank case pressures... if thats the case that is just plain stupid and there should be a tsb for is, it is NOT acceptable to have the oil seals leak oil...

CPE DP with CAT and Magnaflow exhaust

ssinstaller said:
I'm not trying to sue Mazda. The system they designed worked--the cats burned off what little oil made it past the seals--but created a huge bottleneck in the process. I removed the cats, so now I see a little smoke every now and again. Mazda didn't cause the problem--I did, it's a price I'mm will to pay for the extra power.... Unless I start to notice oil loss on the dipstick there really isn't a problem IMO...

If your smoking that bad you might have a legitimate problem. I have only had smoke for a minute or two a couple of times after a long warmup. If your getting it all the time you might have grounds to get a new turbo...

yep..

I didn't ever notice this until I swapped out the downpipe and got rid of the two huge stock cats.

I already have the CPE DP w CAT and The Magnaflow waiting for instalation. Will my car Smoke? What I heard about disconecting the battery of the car?

A catch can would be a very good idea and may indeed cure the problem. The PCV sends oil vapor into the intake plumbing for the turbo to injest and send to the motor for burning. If you capture this oil or put a VTA filter on the crank case, no more oil vapor will enter the turbo and combustion cycle.

wanna find out where it is comming from for sure ??
take off the inlet pipe on the turbo (the one that connect to the air box)
if there is oil in it then it is the pcv....if it is dry it is coming from the turbo.

tru-boost said:
wanna find out where it is comming from for sure ??
take off the inlet pipe on the turbo (the one that connect to the air box)
if there is oil in it then it is the pcv....if it is dry it is coming from the turbo.

Yeah that makes sense and would definitely reveal the source. I may do that tomorrow. I am beginning to get fed up with this car. Mazda is a so-so company, especially for the enthusiast and trying to envoke the passion for speed, with this zoom-zoom nonsense, without having the ammo to back it up. My speed 6 is quick but it isn't a show stopper. I'd still be afraid to race cobras, evos, sti's, etc. You just have to do so much and spend so much to get small increments of performance. I've spent almost 1500 dollars for a downpipe/exhaust/CAI and about another 1200 for lighter rims and tires, and its definitely quicker than stock, but then you pace with stock evos, get creamed by sti's with bolt ons, and then get murdered by cobras with pulley crap and x-pipes. This direct injection is really holding us back. We are running 15 psi on small turbos, with limited options for fuel management if any. Not to mention I don't think the 4 wheel drive system is anywhere as advanced as it could be. My beef is with mazda being too soft towards performance and having poor service towards their customers. Prime example, rx7 to rx8. How can anyone in their right mind call that a step up. I just shrug my shoulders and shake my head.

My thinking is you didn't research what you were buying. The mazdaspeed 6 was not designed to be an EVo/STI/Cobra killer. Don't blame Mazda...blame yourself for not doing the proper research prior to buying the car.

1killercls said:
My thinking is you didn't research what you were buying. The mazdaspeed 6 was not designed to be an EVo/STI/Cobra killer. Don't blame Mazda...blame yourself for not doing the proper research prior to buying the car.

oh i researched it and never said the speed6 was to kill those vehicles. the speed6 numbers on paper are close if not the same to vehicles in its class. it's just the way the vehicle is set up, the fact that we are not in japan, and ford's influence. it's not about my research. ITS ABOUT MAZDAS LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE IN TUNING VEHICLES. i have owned evo's and wrx's in the past, and my share of honda's and they all had one thing in common. they were well setup from the factory. for example, never in my life have i encountered a type of vehicle where there is a recall for a LACK OF POWER and then the so called fix really isnt a fix, but a second chance at modifying the tables. I did not see any positive effects. when i went to the dealership in some of my past sport sedans, they loved to see me, they loved to hear me, all the sales guys would come out and chat, no matter what your vehicle had that was aftermarket. mazda is not like that at all.

but to get back to reality, the thing that bothers me the most is no matter how i slice it or dice it, i cant break it down to my friends and say "HEY GUYS, DON'T WORRY, IT'S SUPPOSED TO SMOKE, MAZDA DID THAT ON PURPOSE FROM THE FACTORY. I'VE TALKED TO THEM AND THEY SAID IT'S OK. SO, WHERE DO YOU GUYS WANT TO GO CRUISE, I HAVE TO STAY IN CONSTANT MOTION SO I DON'T SMOKE UP THE PLACE." to most that would be considered sarcasm and lunacy, but to us mazda guys, could it be the sad truth?

Last edited:
skylinemonster said:
oh i researched it and never said the speed6 was to kill those vehicles. the speed6 numbers on paper are close if not the same to vehicles in its class. it's just the way the vehicle is set up, the fact that we are not in japan, and ford's influence. it's not about my research. ITS ABOUT MAZDAS LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE IN TUNING VEHICLES. i have owned evo's and wrx's in the past, and my share of honda's and they all had one thing in common. they were well setup from the factory. for example, never in my life have i encountered a type of vehicle where there is a recall for a LACK OF POWER and then the so called fix really isnt a fix, but a second chance at modifying the tables. I did not see any positive effects. when i went to the dealership in some of my past sport sedans, they loved to see me, they loved to hear me, all the sales guys would come out and chat, no matter what your vehicle had that was aftermarket. mazda is not like that at all.

but to get back to reality, the thing that bothers me the most is no matter how i slice it or dice it, i cant break it down to my friends and say "HEY GUYS, DON'T WORRY, IT'S SUPPOSED TO SMOKE, MAZDA DID THAT ON PURPOSE FROM THE FACTORY. I'VE TALKED TO THEM AND THEY SAID IT'S OK. SO, WHERE DO YOU GUYS WANT TO GO CRUISE, I HAVE TO STAY IN CONSTANT MOTION SO I DON'T SMOKE UP THE PLACE." to most that would be considered sarcasm and lunacy, but to us mazda guys, could it be the sad truth?

How about it smokes because the mods I put on weren't designed by Mazda and because of the car's design, it causes smoke?

Hate said:
How about it smokes because the mods I put on weren't designed by Mazda and because of the car's design, it causes smoke?

(werd)

its not the car's fault.

Theres no excuse for oil burnig-smoke

No mather if the mods wher done by Mazda. theres no excuse for this turbo to be leking by the oil seals even if it is a small leak.

I see a turbo upgrade in my future.

Well of coarse you should be afraid to race cobras, they are 390 hp 390 tq stock on a big V8. They should wipe the floor with us.

If you wanted to race EVo's and Sti's than thats the car you should have bought. I knew when I bought this car its

1.) A sedan FIRST

2.) Sports Car SECOND.

For some thats a hard thing to grasp, but its the truth.

If you really want to prove your point to Mazda you will have to get pictures and proof from a Non-modified speed6. That is the only way they will take you seriously. Right now you have a modified car with the cats removed. Most dealerships wont even touch a car with the cats removed due to EPA fines.

I wouldnt say Mazda doesnt know what they are doing. This engine is great. 280 ponies and Torque with a small Four Cylinder floats my boat just fine. The real problem is that this is a niche' car. Low production and Low Sales. That means limited aftermarket appeal, which is why there arent tons and tons of choices for aftermarket equipment.

Afroman said:
Well of coarse you should be afraid to race cobras, they are 390 hp 390 tq stock on a big V8. They should wipe the floor with us.

If you wanted to race EVo's and Sti's than thats the car you should have bought. I knew when I bought this car its

1.) A sedan FIRST

2.) Sports Car SECOND.

For some thats a hard thing to grasp, but its the truth.

If you really want to prove your point to Mazda you will have to get pictures and proof from a Non-modified speed6. That is the only way they will take you seriously. Right now you have a modified car with the cats removed. Most dealerships wont even touch a car with the cats removed due to EPA fines.

I wouldnt say Mazda doesnt know what they are doing. This engine is great. 280 ponies and Torque with a small Four Cylinder floats my boat just fine. The real problem is that this is a niche' car. Low production and Low Sales. That means limited aftermarket appeal, which is why there are tons and tons of choices for aftermarket equipment.

well stated.

Back