Its finally gone!

afticarab

:
M5 GT 2006, P5 2003
We took delivery of our Mazda 5 in Aug of 2005. I would have to categorically state that it has been the most dissapointing vehicle I have ever owned. Beginning with the exhaust recall, multiple suspension issues, frozen open doors, the list goes on and on. I had Krown rusproofing applied every year and the vehicle showed significant signs of rust bleeding through the paint onto the plastic bumpers. I came from owning Honda products for over 2 decades, all were solid vehicles with up to 200,000 km. At 90000km my Mazda 5 had multiple stone chips from soft thin paint layer, the interior plastics were scratched way beyond expectation, carpeting was unbelievably low grade. When I bought it I expected a vehicle which would last much longer than it did. The only one bright spot is I managed to trade in for about 1/3 of its original purchase price. Comparatively my 10 year old Odyssey was sold for 25% of its value to buy the Mazda 5. Adios Mazda 5!!(idhitit)

We took delivery of our Mazda 5 in Aug of 2005. I would have to categorically state that it has been the most dissapointing vehicle I have ever owned. Beginning with the exhaust recall, multiple suspension issues, frozen open doors, the list goes on and on. I had Krown rusproofing applied every year and the vehicle showed significant signs of rust bleeding through the paint onto the plastic bumpers. I came from owning Honda products for over 2 decades, all were solid vehicles with up to 200,000 km. At 90000km my Mazda 5 had multiple stone chips from soft thin paint layer, the interior plastics were scratched way beyond expectation, carpeting was unbelievably low grade. When I bought it I expected a vehicle which would last much longer than it did. The only one bright spot is I managed to trade in for about 1/3 of its original purchase price. Comparatively my 10 year old Odyssey was sold for 25% of its value to buy the Mazda 5. Adios Mazda 5!!(idhitit)
no wonder it rusted, you live in canada...jk...so what did you trade it for?

Sorry to hear your disappointment.

I took delivery in April of 2006 of my 5 and I now have over 138,000 KMs on it. I have had no problems that you have mentioned, except I did have my power steering hose replaced at 35k miles and I just had an alignment.

Has nothing to do with the type of mazda you bought, you just happened to have bad luck with the one you purchased. GL with your new car.

We took delivery of our Mazda 5 in Aug of 2005. I would have to categorically state that it has been the most dissapointing vehicle I have ever owned.

It also depends on your perspective. We absolutely love our 2008 Mazda5.

Could it be the year?

i remember back in the old days they used to say "don't buy a car made on a fri or mon"...one rotten apple should spoil the whole bunch though?

i remember back in the old days they used to say "don't buy a car made on a fri or mon"...one rotten apple should spoil the whole bunch though?

I don't know how true that saying is... but the point is taken.
There will always be "lemons" that come off the line.

every 'experience' needs to be taken w/ a grain of salt; not to minimize the OPs comments (though it WAS a major buzzkill) but some people just get all sorts of problems and others don't get any at all. expectations run high and low and can color our feelings.

sounds like first year bugs to me, exacerbated even more by early production. We have a later 2006 model and we've had suspension issues, A/C belt squeal, power door lock actuator replacement, and yes, the interior is cheapo. Interior creaks have developed at 45K miles. Original tires went out by 29K miles and I'm watching the new ones for uneven wear. In the 5's defense, it has never stranded us and it drives like new with all those bugs fixed under warranty, but we certainly needed that 4 year/50K miles warranty the 2006 models came with. I'm willing to chalk most of these issues up to first-year bugs but admittedly I've bought three other first-year models, including a '97 Honda CR-V and '99 Protege, and never had the issues the Mazda5 has had. I think the bugs just weren't worked out, along with some weirdness like the lack of outer armrests on the second row.

The problem is none of the other manufacturers have introduced a mazda5 concept. I'm waiting for a Toyotoa corolla based six seaters with sliding door. Or maybe Honda Civic based six seaters.. Some have six seaters but they are borderline mini SUVs.

It is also observed that mazda does listen to consumer feed back. They now have additional arm rests.. and an aircon blower for the rear. Maybe they will look into cars destined for Ontario and apply additional rust proofing.. considering the salt in the roads
during winter.

Sorry to hear about your lemon.

Do you wash your car often? At least once, preferably twice a week.

As an owner of (exclusively) N.A. vehicles, I am used to having a wide variety of problems with my cars. Engines (oil consumption), transmissions (syncros, torque convertors), brakes (calipers, discs), final drives (cv joints, axles, hubs, clutch packs), A/C (compressor, dryer, lines), electrical (battery, alternator, ecu, lighting) and lots of othe problems over the past 25 years across about 6 vehicles.

The 5 can have a ton of problems before catching up to my Fords and Chev.
I'm a happy camper.

My 07 has a few rust spots on the top, right in front of the sunroof. Probably started from rock chips.
Sorry you had some bad luck with your Mazda.

Agree - took delivery in 8/05 - this may have been one of the very first 5s made. Figure the team was just getting used to building a car and dealing with unfamiliar tools & techniques.
Also, 200,000 kms isnt much - 124,000 miles. That's about halflife for a Mazda, Honda or Subaru. And I have had lots of chipping probs w/my Accord and the previous CRX. I find Honda's body panels to be so thin that rubber suction darts could dent them. Maybe not, but you get the point. Just remember, the 5 is surprisingly inexpensive for all that comes standard. Lower cost = cost cutting, so a little bit of warranty work (covered) should be nothing to whine about. If it was a fully decked out CX-9 or an RX-8, I could understand the complaints.

BTW, my Accord has required more preventative maintenance than anything else I have ever owned. Don't bank on Honda as the Holy Grail.

We bought one of the first Mazda5's as well and also dealt with the exhaust recall. It's turning 60K and has had it's share of annoying things but I have to say it's as good as new. Runs smooth, no squeaks, no rattles and still really fun to drive.

We had two blown struts, 2 bad Emission evap pumps, bad door locks (rear), a bad door seal (drivers) and needed the manula linkage adjusted last month but overall when I drive it I can't rationalize buying another vehicle. The 5 is practical, fun and has been bullet-proof reliable here in MA. The red paint is still shiny despite a few dings and many chips and scratches from my kids. No rust whatsoever.

On the other hand we used to own a Honda Pilot and had nothing but problems with it. And the dealership was horrible and expensive. I have to agree with thaxman. We paid just under 20,000 for our 5 and it is by far the most practical and reliable vehicle we've had. Sure it's interior plastics are not the best, but like my MS3 (whihc uses better plastics) every part is screwed down and aligned perfectly.

Last edited:
Our 2006 has had all of the same problems, so I don't think his was just a lemon. A lot of other people have complained of the same issues. Too bad, cause I really do like the car. This biggest issue for me now is the rust. The wheel wells are rotting pretty quickly. Time to move on I think.

Rust proofing bad

Our 2006 has had all of the same problems, so I don't think his was just a lemon. A lot of other people have complained of the same issues. Too bad, cause I really do like the car. This biggest issue for me now is the rust. The wheel wells are rotting pretty quickly. Time to move on I think.

So is rust proofing every year common practice in Canada? Rustproofing in the USA is commonly considered snake oil and tends to promote rust because it plugs drain holes in the chassis which causes water to pool. I mean Mazda has a pretty comprehensive rust through warranty so why would you even fool with aftermarket rustproofing? I only ask because other than the rust the OP's complaints are common bugs with the 2006 5's.

So is rust proofing every year common practice in Canada? Rustproofing in the USA is commonly considered snake oil and tends to promote rust because it plugs drain holes in the chassis which causes water to pool. I mean Mazda has a pretty comprehensive rust through warranty so why would you even fool with aftermarket rustproofing? I only ask because other than the rust the OP's complaints are common bugs with the 2006 5's.
It is pretty common around here, where a lot of salt is used on roads in the winter. But I am unconvinced. It's messy (drips on your driveway) and usually needs to be done every year.

Mazda's corrosion warranty is 5 years (in Canada at least), but it only covers "perforation". So it would need to rust a hole right through. To be honest, mine is getting pretty close to doing that in one spot.

Could it be the year?

Not at all...

(...quietly goes to garage to prepare for dealer's appointment: sloppy slider doors lock activators replacement on Nov 30, before warranty expires...)

Nothing deal breaking, but let's see after warranty expires (lol2)

Wow must be a lot of Salt then.

It is pretty common around here, where a lot of salt is used on roads in the winter. But I am unconvinced. It's messy (drips on your driveway) and usually needs to be done every year.

Mazda's corrosion warranty is 5 years (in Canada at least), but it only covers "perforation". So it would need to rust a hole right through. To be honest, mine is getting pretty close to doing that in one spot.

Wow must be a helluva lot more salt than New England then because I haven't had any issues with rust. The only point where rust appeared on our 5 was after a large brinch fell and made a divet next tot he sunroof. It broke through the paint and primer and developed surface rust after one winter. I just applied some "rust converter" to it and touched it up with no issue.

The fact that the rust proof drips on the driveway after application seems kinda wrong. Do you know if they protect drain holes during application? if not then I wouldn't be surprised if rust was developing due to condensation under the body panel. There are drain and drip holes in cars for both evacuation of water and air circulation. Plugging hole holes up is a bad thing to do.

Back