Is your car louder after long run times?

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
Noticing lately after I get off the highway from driving maybe 20 miles or more, my car is a lot louder and has more resonance in the cabin from the exhaust than it does normally. I'm guessing the exhaust is heating up and the engine is actually working better but I'm not sure. Normally during the day, it's about 10 miles to work so my car barely heats up before I shut it down unless I let it warm up in the garage first. It's never as loud as when I get off the highway. Car sounds mean and pulls very well.

Anybody else experience this?

Totally - never touched the DP or any of it.
Running totally stock right now too.
I only run a CAI outside of Winter. Soon as the snow flies, I put the airbox back in the car.

It's really weird. Almost has me concerned except the car runs great, has no knocks or anything bad, it just sounds a lot louder once it's hot.

Yeah I dunno. I have the MS CBE and my exhaust sound changes noticeably based on what accessories are running. As far as engine temperature though, the engine revs higher when it is cold so it actually sounds louder then.

But that's just my experience.

My car isnt louder after a longer run time but I do notice it changing when the temperature changes. When it was in the 40s and lower it was really loud and popping but today it is 51+ it is a lot more quiet. I have 2 resos deleted and a racepipe tho. I did notice the changes in noise with stock exhaust as well.

Maybe at almost 30K the resonator and muffler are already starting to burn up some packing or something then.
Thanks for replies.

Hmmmm. Mine has gotten a deeper sound since new, but I've not noticed any short-term change. Haven't done any road trips since October. Usually just my eight-mile commute. I'll try and notice after the next road trip.

:sigh: Any exhaust will eventually get louder because of the insulating material used to baffle noise inside the exhaust breaks down over time. It's generally fiberglass/steel fiber. Condensation from the motor will eventually rot the exhaust from the inside out, as well. Unless you have a high-quality stainless system. Not all stainless is the same. As far as it getting louder after prolonged drives? Personally I think it's in your head. It's not as if there's a valve that opens and closes like an R32 has or a Z06 Vette.

Latest posts

Back