Is your 2008 CX-9 engine makes tick..tick... noise?

My CX-9 is a little over a week old. The thing that bothers me is that when I start the engine in the morning (cold engine) there are loud tick..tick...tick.. noise come from the engine. The noise goes away after 1 minute or so and then comes back for a another minute. After the engine warms up the noise goes away. I would say that the noise comes on within the first 2-3 minutes after a cold start. Is this normal for 2008 CX9? Should I take it to the dealer? Thanks.

My CX-9 engine knocks under moderate acceleration sometimes. Seems more prevalent in the morning. Anyone have this? I have the tick tick as well.

Knocking is usually from bad gas, or overpriced gas like Chevron or Shell, who add a lot more 'detergent', meaning less actual gasoline.

Yes, I know. Bad gas or high detergents can cause knocking.

I usually run to a little less than a 1/4 tank and refill. I will do BP, Exxon, or Mobil. The car has knocked for the past few tanks.

I believe my gas cap (former) said BP was recommended. I had the cap changed by the dealer about a month ago when my teather snapped. The new one doesn't turn as many times before clicking. Could it be my gas cap? No warning lights... just my knocking when initially accelerating up any mild incline.

Engine Knocking

My CX-9 engine knocks under moderate acceleration sometimes. Seems more prevalent in the morning. Anyone have this? I have the tick tick as well.

I have the engine knocking too! So mad! Just bought the darn car in October 2008. Less than 1200 miles when noticed the noise. It is NOT bad gas. I've tried every brand of gas imaginable. Car spent all week at the dealership. They claimed they couldn't hear it. had to go back and test drive with a technician and he finally acknowledged the noise. They said it was a loose transmission mount under the battery and tightened it. Also tightened something on the intake. Before I drove it out of the lot it was making the noise again. I am so disappointed with the service and that such a new vehicle is having engine noise already.

I have the engine knocking too! So mad! Just bought the darn car in October 2008. Less than 1200 miles when noticed the noise. It is NOT bad gas. I've tried every brand of gas imaginable. Car spent all week at the dealership. They claimed they couldn't hear it. had to go back and test drive with a technician and he finally acknowledged the noise. They said it was a loose transmission mount under the battery and tightened it. Also tightened something on the intake. Before I drove it out of the lot it was making the noise again. I am so disappointed with the service and that such a new vehicle is having engine noise already.

Ugh. Yes, I am going in for an oil change in a week or so. I'll need to report this knocking, a creaky B pillar (when temps are hot), the rumble when braking hard, and my driver seat that shifts when I brake/accelerate. I anticipate they'll be 0 for 4. I really hope I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sometimes I wonder about how fragile this car is.

ZoomFive

My 2008 GT is pinging also. The dealer replaced the "intake surge tank" and retorqued the intake. It has made no difference. The pinging seems to be worse when cold and I have used many different gases and it doesn't seem help.

Has anyone with knocking tried mid or premium gas instead of regular?

I know it is supposed to take regular and that is what I use and haven't had any knocking. I'm just curious.

Has anyone with knocking tried mid or premium gas instead of regular?

I know it is supposed to take regular and that is what I use and haven't had any knocking. I'm just curious.

I haven't done so, because it is not supposed to be knocking and I do not want to mask the issue. However, it appears that knocking, wurbling of the brakes when stopping fast from 50, vibrating drivers mirror, and creaking b-pillar appear to be shared problems that the individula dealers cannot figure out.

:(

Edit: Oh, I also have a faint ticking noise when my front right suspension compresses and rebounds over potholes.

The high pressure fuel injectors on many newer cars make a ticking noise. Usually most evident when the engine is cold, and at idle. It is considered normal.

The high pressure fuel injectors on many newer cars make a ticking noise. Usually most evident when the engine is cold, and at idle. It is considered normal.

My ticking is suspension related when going over bumps. Annoying.

So I have ticking, knocking, creaking, and wurbling. Waiting for the squealing and grinding....

Last edited:
answer?

My CX-9 is a little over a week old. The thing that bothers me is that when I start the engine in the morning (cold engine) there are loud tick..tick...tick.. noise come from the engine. The noise goes away after 1 minute or so and then comes back for a another minute. After the engine warms up the noise goes away. I would say that the noise comes on within the first 2-3 minutes after a cold start. Is this normal for 2008 CX9? Should I take it to the dealer? Thanks.

Hi
Was wondering if you had any answers on this noise from your CX 9?
Thanks

My truck is now at 10,000 km but the tick, tick noises pretty loud when the engine is cold. I spoke to the dealer the last unscheduled visit for radiator replacement, he said that it is normal to have that noises. I am not so sure that it is normal. If so it should have written on the Owner's Manual. My 2000 Honda Accord and 2004 Acura TL don't make this noises. I plan to send an email to Mazada of Canada and see what they have to say on this. I think the new Jetta TDI doesn't make this anoying tick...tick noises at all.
Could it be that the oil 5W20 is too thin?

Could it be that the oil 5W20 is too thin?

Yes I think the weight/ type of oil used has the propensity to accentuate the ticking symptom... but I do not think it is the cause of the ticking.

I have a marginally noticeable tick, tick noise from the engine on cold starts also. It dissapears when the engine starts to warm up. I run 98RON fuel, but can't say how much of it is related to fuel type. The ticking did get a little louder when I moved over to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic oil. Every car I have moved over to synthetic oil has done the same thing.

I honestly don't know if the ticking is related to the duty cycles of high pressure fuel injectors, or tappets/ lifters. I do know that it 'appears' or 'gets louder' when I change the engien over to a lighter weight synthetic oil. And I can say that over the 200,000+ kilometres of driving I've done with engines that do this on cold start (both diesel and petrol).... it's never caused a problem.

I don't think it's reason for concern.

Cheers,
TTubrag.

Back