Is this fast for a Mazdaspeed Protege?

codex

:
2016 Mazda3 Hatchback
MSP 2nd-3rd gear fuel cut in 3rd.
What do you think this would run in the 1/4. I'm trying to hit 100 so I'm thinking it would have to be low 14s for that speed.

My best time was a 14.2 @ 98 and that was with CAI, exhaust, FMIC, and boost controller at 9 PSI.

What kind of exhaust did you have? I have the stock exhaust with catless midpipe and resonator removed. Do you think I would get some more power with a different muffler? I am also running 9-10 psi.

I went to the drag strip tonight. They have a thing called the 100 MPH club for street legal cars. So I'm trying for that.

I guess the next upgrade to add power (how much?) will be a better cat back. I still have the stock cat back. Any suggestions for something cheap and effective? I was very close to 100 MPH at 98.95.

My MSP is rolling on Kuhmo all season tires. I lowered the pressure to 27.5 for a 2.2398 60ft. It was set around 10psi on the boost controller. It also has a FMIC and catless midpipe along with the resonator removed.

I'm certain this car will pull 100MPH in the 1/4 but I'd like to give myself any advantage. What do you suggest for something cheap other than cranking up the boost anymore (spiking at over 13 psi when shifting).

I had 176 WHP (dyno) before the SSAFC and boost controller. I'm estimating 50 WHP gain since adding those two.

Last edited:
weight reduction? pull out the spare and the sub box. Don't know if you have done that yet. May not get you all the way there but it's free

I'm curious if something as simple as a vac block would give enoguh umph. they're cheap.

have you removed the vtcs or switched to a 626 mani?

The spare and sub were out of the car for the 1/4. Does anyone know if its worth while to replace or remove the muffler? Does it sound a lot worse if you do? If it doesn't add any power then never mind.

I'm starting to think I am reaching the limits of the turbo at 225 WHP (for a 100MPH run). I was reading that the GT25R has a limit of 240HP and at 225WHP that is about 275 flywheel HP.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-001&Category_Code=GRT

Dual Ball Bearing GT25R Turbo assembly with internal wastegate assembly. .64ar turbine with 5 bolt exit. Very very Good response turbo for 4 Cyl applications. This turbo has a flow capacity of about 240HP.

first you need an aftermarket s and j downpipe and you need to lose the stock cat back. Your not close to maxing out that turbo yet.

There's tons of more mods you can do. Slick's would also help with launching this car.

What is the best one cost per HP.. I have a catless midpipe (J pipe) would a catback or S pipe be better? I heard that aftermarket S pipes can break easier. Is it worth it to replace the muffler on the stock cat back?

true but there is a group buy on custom 3inch s and j pipe's being made right now, you might be too late for that. You could get a turbo manifold or intake manifold.

My stock s pipe is ported and polished and I have a hiboost j-pipe. No exhaust after the 1st cat at all. I'll be selling them once these custom downpipe's get made.
Try removing/un-bolting your whole cat back system. Maybe that would help and ditch some wieght at the same time.

I personally don't think a different muffler alone will help.

i think you would want to do more than just the muffler. corksport won't cover the s pipe without out at least inserts. Mounts could reduce your wheel hop and help with the launch.

I heard those dyno results are not true for the 626 mani.. I spent some time reading about it and it seems the 626 mani isnt worth it. Also, I'd like to keep the exhaust coming out the back of the car. My last turbo car had an open downpipe and I rather not have the MSP like that. So replacing the muffler isnt beneficial at all? My catback has the resonator removed already and I thought maybe a better muffler would help.

Already have front and rear motor mounts. Is a cat back or a S pipe a better upgrade since I already have an upgraded (catless) J/midpipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RrnSLhefI

With some smaller slicks and 180 whp you should be able to get a low 14 high 13 second pass at just over 100mph.

I have have a stack of slips with times in that range.

-Derrick

With some smaller slicks and 180 whp you should be able to get a low 14 high 13 second pass at just over 100mph.

I have have a stack of slips with times in that range.

-Derrick

driving an MSP? With what mods? I always thought the MSP tranny was too weak to handle drags with slicks even with an upgraded LSD.

Back