Is this a good deal?

criagd08

:
1999 Mazda Protege 1.6L Auto
http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1527807941.html
5 speed, has 130,000 miles on it, no gas tank, has a fuel cell, interior is fair, body is fair, runs and drives, but doesn't run the best, needs some minor work. Has 4 cylinder rotary motor. .$350 firm or it goes to the scrap yard in January.

I figure it'd be worth it to save it from the junkyard, but I need a car for the summer when I get home. Any suggestions would help, but it sounds like I need to act quick. I haven't seen it in person but the pictures show the body in decent condition with a little damage on the front end. The main worry is the fuel cell.

Once again thanks for suggestions and tips!

other than him not knowing what kind of engine is actually in the car... what do you think?

Last edited:
it's a decent deal. the body is in good condition other than the couple of dents on the front. i would buy it as a complete rebuild from the ground up. if you did it that way, you would just be taking away all of the crappy work that the last guy did (assuming there is some crappy work there).

i am sure that the motor needs to be rebuilt, but that is a minor inconvenience.

that's about what i paid for my 87 gxl ( parts car) to get 86 gxl , better of the two ...running. Needed top end of motor parts , wiring harnesses etc. Always nice to have when you need a part

Buy it why not, if you have the money to spend on a project. Chances are that when modding the car you will be replacing alot of what is wrong anyways & a motor rebuld sounds like a must. The 4 cyl rotary thing is great, I love these fools.

Well you guys helped me make my mind up and I'm gonna buy it. Hopefully this guy gets back to me tho, I emailed him a couple days ago and still haven't heard anything... Thanks for all your advice!

If it is a GS model it is really worth it, you get the rear discs as well.

-Derrick

did you buy it the posting was deleted
Nope not yet, he just reposted it, goin to look at it this weekend. If it can run home on its own I'll be driving it away. So here's to hopin! Oh and happy new year everyone :)

Last edited:
Well bad luck... The guy that was sellin the RX7 said it ran in the craigslist posting. Went over there to check it out and turns out it didn't even try to turn over. Kind of disappointed but oh well I can't do anything until summer anyway.

So give him 200 for it and drag it home. :) If he said it was running, then he must have thought it was (probably was when he parked it). But after sitting for (probably) a long time, either the battery died or the engine flooded. Either way, I'd say its a safe bet that with a fresh battery and a little Seafoam down the carb it would again run.

Good luck...

ya the only problem with that is I don't have any way of dragging her home... And go to school at Ohio State and my parents don't want a non running car sitting in the driveway while I'm away. So I'll just have to let it slip away and hope I can find another one someday :/

Oh and it definitely wasn't the battery, we had to buy a new one before we went because it didn't have one in it. So since it didn't even budge we just took the battery back

Back