Is the Greddy Evo the quietest exhaust for the Protege5?

quik

I just erased all that I had typed out, so I'll keep it simple. I just chased down a guy with a Greddy system on his Protege 5 and the thing is, I couldn't even hear it with my widows down as I was behind him! That's what I want, something quiet.

I love the look of the HKS axel back,

hks.jpg

but I'd like something quiet like the Greddy. Is that as quiet as exhaust systems for the Protege 5 get?

He said he had problems with exhaust fitment after lowering his car, but it looked really nice, a little bulky, but nice.

big_evo.gif

Whay kind of input do you guys have on this?

I would say it is about as quiet as you can get. I would say sound wise it's dB levels are down those around the Racing Beats. Here is how I would rank them in terms of dB levels from highest to lowest:

Bosal<---Got this just below legal limit for CA probably no resonator
Apex'i N1
JIC SUS
Mazdaspeed<---Keeps the stock resonator
Greddy Evo
Racing Beat

Everyone feel free to chime in and add/rearrange them. One thing that is for sure I've heard the JIC Mazdaspeed and Bosal and Bosal is by far the loudest. In the low RPM it doesn't sound the greatest but when you get up there(4K+) the resonance subsides and all you get is that mean growl out of the back. When I'm getting on the freeway it is the best feeling in the world to feel this badboy as my left thigh is plastered to the door from the G forces. I have a feeling though it will be a lot more fun when I get my JIC's

I don't know if anyone has read the article in the latest Sport Compact Car mag (July 2003)....p.226

They put a prototype JIC 505 ti exhaust on a Mini and dynoed it.
They said that they needed the silencer to keep the sound within legal limits. If so, I don't know how great it would be considering the results of the dyno:

Stock: 166 whp 142ft-lb
JIC (no silencer) 167 whp 145ft-lb
JIC (w/ silencer) 162 whp 145t-lb

Now, I don't know if the same results would happen on the P5, but I've been 2nd guessing the JIC, because if I'll be losing 4hp to keep it legal what's the use?

Then again, its just 4 horses at near redline, and it at least kept the torque gain!!!

At a price of $1320 CDN (retail), its a question I have to ask myself!

Has anyone dynoed the P5 with the same variables?

i can only speak for the the mazdaspeed and the greddy...the greddy is definitely quiet until the higher rpm range...the mazdaspeed seems to be pretty loud all over the range (gets somewhat annoying on long trips)...what type of problems was the guy having after lowering?? the design of the evo is supposed to be good for lowered cars since it keeps the can fairly high to prevent scraping

On the mini be noted it was just a mock up and not a production run JIC. Plus it still incorprated the stock resonator and a small muffler. But hey you saved 34 pounds which more than makes up for the lack of hp gains on the dyno.

And greddy does make on the the quiest exhausts around for most cars.

The quietest I've heard out of the JIC, Bosal, Mazdaspeed and APEXi N1 is the Racing Beat full cat-back. I remember when Rishie first mounted that sucker on his car, damn that thing was really quiet and only made noise at WOT. The APEXi N1 will vary in sound depending on the plumbing of the exhuast (resonator & catalytic converter), removing one of those will really pump up the volume of the N1. By far the loudest I've heard was the JIC Ti (muffler by itself). Wheelguru had that thing on his MP3 and he reversed the resonator and remover the cat. It was nice and racey sounding. But, it would definately attract police. These are just my experiences though.

Back