Is the 2013 CX-9 reliable?

Hello,
I have my eye on a new 2013 CX-9. I understand that the engine is linked to Ford in some way. Can someone tell me if the engine is designed by Ford and who manufactures it and where (US or Japan). I have had minimal to no mechanical issues with my '03 and '07 CR-Vs and I was wondering if the CX-9 engine will be as trouble-free as the Hondas. If not, what are some issues that are inherent with that engine?

Well, I have had all kinds of trouble with mine. But my main issue is the service you should receive that you don't. I have an extended warranty but if you don't do ALL of your work at Mazda they will deny you and you are stuck with the bill and a car that doesn't work.

Hello,
I have my eye on a new 2013 CX-9. I understand that the engine is linked to Ford in some way. Can someone tell me if the engine is designed by Ford and who manufactures it and where (US or Japan). I have had minimal to no mechanical issues with my '03 and '07 CR-Vs and I was wondering if the CX-9 engine will be as trouble-free as the Hondas. If not, what are some issues that are inherent with that engine?
The engine is not known for various issues, but the water pump and transfer case you should have an eye on.

The Mazda MZI V6 engine is the same as the Ford "Cyclone" V6. Mazda and Ford were partners at the time of the engines development and Mazda manufactured them for their own use. The design appears to have been predominantly a Ford effort.

The engine itself is pretty reliable. As stated above, the water pump is the Achilles heel - if it fails, it can destroy the engine.

Other's pointed out the water pump already.
I'll add that it's a crap shoot if/when it goes.
My wife had a 2009 CX9 with 185k miles on it and never changed the water pump or coolant in the ~9 years we owned it and never had any issues. I know others haven't been so lucky.

My 2009 with 272,000km is still going strong; loving CX-9 life.

Weak links can be...... water pump, brake booster and ptu. Yes these parts can fail, but not all do.

I have a 2013 AWD. Purchased in 2015 with 30,000 miles, it now has over 130,000. So far no issues from the engine or transmission. I do regular oil changes and thats it. I have never changed the trans fluid or differential oil (which I think I should).

I too am worried about the water pump issue as I am nearing the mileage mark where it becomes a problem. As much as we love our family car, I may trade it in before that occurs. I would say if you can find a low mileage '13 Cx9 for a good price then you can get some use of out of it. At least you won't be paying $24k like I did.

I have a 2013 AWD. Purchased in 2015 with 30,000 miles, it now has over 130,000. So far no issues from the engine or transmission. I do regular oil changes and thats it. I have never changed the trans fluid or differential oil (which I think I should).
Yes, you definitley should change all the fluids.
I too am worried about the water pump issue as I am nearing the mileage mark where it becomes a problem. As much as we love our family car, I may trade it in before that occurs. I would say if you can find a low mileage '13 Cx9 for a good price then you can get some use of out of it. At least you won't be paying $24k like I did.
Water pumps have failed on low mileage cars too. If you have never changed the coolant, then you may have increased your chances of needing a new water pump.

The Mazda MZI V6 engine is the same as the Ford "Cyclone" V6. Mazda and Ford were partners at the time of the engines development and Mazda manufactured them for their own use. The design appears to have been predominantly a Ford effort.

The engine itself is pretty reliable. As stated above, the water pump is the Achilles heel - if it fails, it can destroy the engine.
I always thought it was referred to as the Duratec 37. 3.5 bored out to 3.7. I sold my 2008 CX-9 GT with 106k miles, fwd, a week ago. I experienced zero problems with the engine. Zero. Coolant level never an issue, water pump never failed. It was the perfect vehicle and hated to sell it. Some people had alignment issues, some brake booster issues, some power gate failure, I experienced none of those problems.

We have a 2015 with 80k miles we're about to sell. We bought it used 4 years ago with 50k miles on it, and it's been extremely reliable, but I would change all of the fluids if you buy a used one. The transfer case fluid was toast at 50k. Shift quality started going downhill at 75k including some rather alarming hard shifts from drive to reverse or vice versa in the driveway. The transmission fluid is a "lifetime" fill as far as Mazda is concerned, but that's a total crock. I did a couple drain and fills of the transmission fluid and now it shifts like butter. Other than that, I did the spark plugs and normal oil changes, and it hasn't needed anything else.

Back