Is that an oil leak?

FYI - The drain plug was apparently the defective piece.

Call me crazy, but I am still tempted to take the car as it drives smoothly and will take it to a mechanic for an independent check. Especially for the bit of rust that i can see on the front axle

Last edited:
This. People beat the hell out of rental cars. You have no idea what you're getting.

Unless you know who*d it previously, the same applies to any second hand car doesn*t it? For most people a car is a tool and they show it no compassion whatsoever. On the other hand, you could buy an ex rental that has had primarily *normal* drivers.

Motorcraft FL 816..........wowsers. I believe that's a universal filter for Fords. Likely not skyactiv spec in terms of PSI AND fitment which could be cause of leaking.

I bought a former rental Saab Convertible. It was great for 50K...then the turbo started failing. Only turbo out of 5 I've owned that failed. Coincidence?

This. People beat the hell out of rental cars. You have no idea what you're getting.

It's funny, because how the hell can people beat the s*** out of rental cars? Most only have them for a day or two. Do you think people are renting them and doing donuts in a hotel parking lot? I would think the biggest concern would be if the rental agency has done the required maintenace and has the documentation to proove it.

The cars I wouldn't buy are fleet vehicles. As someone who has had several fleet vehicles, those are rode hard and put away wet. Maintenance is an after thought, you put as many miles as fast as possible so you can get a replacement, and would never waste your own money washing it.

It's funny, because how the hell can people beat the s*** out of rental cars? Most only have them for a day or two. Do you think people are renting them and doing donuts in a hotel parking lot?

Driving very agressively? Not waiting for it to warm up before getting on it?

The cars I wouldn't buy are fleet vehicles. As someone who has had several fleet vehicles, those are rode hard and put away wet. Maintenance is an after thought, you put as many miles as fast as possible so you can get a replacement, and would never waste your own money washing it.
That is so true.
I worked for a company for 30 years that provide their service employees with fleet vehicles.
I saw first hand how some of these cars were abused by their drivers.
They were responsible for the maintenance on these cars, and were not given any sort of reminders of when things were due.
So many cars never got the required services performed at the proper intervals, or in some cases, not at all.
The worst incident I can remember was a service rep picking up his new car, and driving it for almost 60,000 kms when the engine seized.
When the company tried to get it fixed under warranty, the dealership called the next day and refused to replace the engine under warranty.
The driver was still running on the original oil. He topped it up once in a while, but that was it.
The service rep ended up paying for the repairs out of his own pocket, and almost lost his company car privileges.
All this to say, never buy a fleet vehicle, unless it's your own, and you know the history.

Driving very agressively? Not waiting for it to warm up before getting on it?

Many people do this to their personal cars, too. The only difference between a rental and personal car is that maintenance schedules are adhered to by most rental companies. Personal car may never have had the oil changed. I worked for a dealership back in '04-5. I also work with people.

Many people do this to their personal cars, too.

You are so right.
I know more than a few people, friends and family members, who treat their vehicles like crap.
It's hard for me to understand how anyone is willing to spend say, $35,000 or more, of their hard earned money on a new car,
and then treat it like it's some of sort of throw away dollar store purchase.
I guess for some people they really are just an appliance, to be thrashed until it's junk.

You are so right.
I know more than a few people, friends and family members, who treat their vehicles like crap.
It's hard for me to understand how anyone is willing to spend say, $35,000 or more, of their hard earned money on a new car,
and then treat it like it's some of sort of throw away dollar store purchase.
I guess for some people they really are just an appliance, to be thrashed until it's junk.

So true. Its really hard to understand sometimes. A car is usually the second most expensive item a person will purchase then they treat it horribly and wonder why it breaks down.

So true. It*s really hard to understand sometimes. A car is usually the second most expensive item a person will purchase then they treat it horribly and wonder why it breaks down.

An additional observation on this theme: I've noticed those people that treat their cars this way, usually extend those same behaviors to most of their possessions.
Go and visit someone who treats their car like crap, and see what their house and other stuff looks like. Hint: it will be just as bad.
Like you, I find it hard to understand sometimes.

Back