Is my MPG AVG stuck?

mykflo

Ive noticed that my avg mpg has not moved from 30.7 in about 1.5 weeks. I usually average about 33 mpg, but with my new tires i've been driving a little more aggressively so it dropped, but now i've been cruising it and it doesnt move. I cycled through the other readings (temperature, current avg, avg speed) and those all change real time. So is it possible its stuck? I'm thinking of taking a highway cruise or drive the piss out of it for a while to see if i can move it, but it seems stuck. Could it be a fuse or anything? I recently changed my wheels and tires, that's it. I'll run a few tests and visit the dealer i guess.

Ok I was able to drop it down to 30.6. I guess I really was averaging 30.7. I'm going to try to bring it back up to the 33-35 range. I like having conversations with myself at midnight.

does it ever reset? i don't have the touring model but i use an ultraguage. As you get more miles it will be harder to adjust it as it has a bigger sample size, so to speak. I'm at 38.6 for the entire life of the car(21k miles) But the includes autocrossing/commuting/city driving/drive-thrus etc. The average hardly ever moves at all, it would take serious work(efficient driving or i guess hard driving) to adjust it now.

With the avg MPG selected just press and hold the Info button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds and it resets.

does it ever reset? i don't have the touring model but i use an ultraguage. As you get more miles it will be harder to adjust it as it has a bigger sample size, so to speak. I'm at 38.6 for the entire life of the car(21k miles) But the includes autocrossing/commuting/city driving/drive-thrus etc. The average hardly ever moves at all, it would take serious work(efficient driving or i guess hard driving) to adjust it now.

How are you getting such a high average? I have minimal city driving and get no where near that. In order to get that i'd need to be going 30-45mph for most of my trips.

The Ultragauge will probably report quite different results from what the Touring's TC does. I've noticed that my TC is way off-base when I've done the math myself between fill-ups on long trips.

How are you getting such a high average? I have minimal city driving and get no where near that. In order to get that i'd need to be going 30-45mph for most of my trips.

well when I'm not autocrossing i don't drive hard at all, usually. i would suggest reading tips on ecomodder.com, even if you never modify your car for fuel economy the driving tips posted there are really good. Modifying your driving style is the best mod you can do for efficiency. I used to commute 30miles/30miles and that really boosted my economy average off the bat, i would usually get 45mpg on the way to work, and then around 38-40 on the way back(You have to fight the wind coming home, and you flow with it going there). I used to be at a solid 40mpg average over like 17000 miles, but since i started delivering pizza/autocrossing its going down(i really need a new job).

since i have such a high sample size (21k miles), short trips in the city where i only get like 26-30mpg don't hurt the average visibly because it's not bad enough to bring down that high of miles at a good number. If i were to reset my average and drive for a week, it would probably only be around 34.

as far as easy things to do to improve economy, drive smarter, pump up your tires(my oem street tires are at 50psi cold all around, my autocross wheels sit in the garage until the night before), and dont carry excess weight. People often tell me my car is "so clean" but i just don't carry anything, my glove box has insurance/registration that's it, to give you an idea. I don't carry my spare/trunk lid/or cargo cover, but this is starting to split hairs, other people wouldn't want the inconvenience of added noise or the possibility of needing that spare tire(i have AAA).

Also use high quality gasoline, I'd recommend shell or chevron, for an 8 gallon fill up it's only an extra dollar, and its better for efficiency and better on your internals.

Lots of words.

Thats it. I only have a 8/8 commute every day, so my sample size for good driving is relatively low. Going to work I get a good 35mpg or so because it is a slight incline the whole way. Coming home I've been getting mid 40s with cruise control the whole way (even keeping it on for the small hills). But since it's such a short distance there isn't a huge impact compared to 60 miles/day driving.

The Ultragauge will probably report quite different results from what the Touring's TC does. I've noticed that my TC is way off-base when I've done the math myself between fill-ups on long trips.

I've found mine to be within 1-2% of the TC reading using either GPS or the speedo readings. Odd that your's is off so much.

Thats it. I only have a 8/8 commute every day, so my sample size for good driving is relatively low. Going to work I get a good 35mpg or so because it is a slight incline the whole way. Coming home I've been getting mid 40s with cruise control the whole way (even keeping it on for the small hills). But since it's such a short distance there isn't a huge impact compared to 60 miles/day driving.

oh yeah it's going to be very hard to get any kind of a good reading with such a small commute, on the highway you cover so much distance at a high number. I would recommend not using cruise control on the hills, it's only more efficient than a person on a perfectly flat road with no imperfections, essentially nowhere, but convenience is always nice!

The only reason i use it on hills is because our speed limit is 55 and I keep the car around 58 on cruise control. So I can't really get the RPMs lower on the hills without slowing down a bit too much for traffic comfort.

Latest posts

Back