Is it just me? The Protege5 goes thru headlight bulbs like its food

i always have my fogs on

people cant see this car anyways, so i figure a few bucks for lights every now and then is ok.

i always have my fogs on

people cant see this car anyways, so i figure a few bucks for lights every now and then is ok.

+1 Best Mod Evar!

DSC_2148.jpg

ok, 2d set of bulbs in 3 months. First set were silverstars and now I went the cheap route. Both of the metal retainers in the assemblies aren't in place (passenger side broken/missing, driver's side is too damn hard to get back on) which leads me to lean towards the theories that say that the problems could be from vibrations. AdvancedAuto's price for a new passenger side assembly is $195 for one type and the other is $215. Are there 2 types of assemblies for the p5? If so how can we tell which we have? I know the canadiens have different ones.

Last edited:
oh and my lights didn't blow the first time until after I read this thread. So I totally agree that this thread is cursed!! Any thoughts on replacement choices? I know...HID, but I heard that the replacement HID bulbs aren't exactly cheap when they go either.

Headlights

nope, im always careful not to touch. After posting this thread, i found a similar thread and it seems this is very common issue for the Protege5.

I have the same problem accept that I have to change my driver side headlight about every 4 to 6 months. It's crazy how much money I have to spend on headlights. I'm wondering if Mazda sells different bulbs because it's only been happening since I change them from the original bulbs.

its the car not the bulbs, only way to really prevent spending that much $$ on swaping bulbs is getting a HID kit.

its the car not the bulbs, only way to really prevent spending that much $$ on swaping bulbs is getting a HID kit.

Putting a pretty hefty capacitor in parallel with the bulbs might help if blown bulbs is the result of voltage spikes. I doubt that is it though. It's much more likely that there is just too much vibration being transmitted to the filaments, and that is why they fail so quickly. They make special bulbs for garage door openers for just this reason. Perhaps somebody sells "high vibration" H7 bulbs? For instance, for autocross driving. Hmm, searching.. Ah, Hella at least makes something like that.

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/?q=H...04872836&d=H7+Heavy+Duty+Halogen+Bulb+12v+55w

oh and my lights didn't blow the first time until after I read this thread. So I totally agree that this thread is cursed!! Any thoughts on replacement choices? I know...HID, but I heard that the replacement HID bulbs aren't exactly cheap when they go either.

Are HIDs not illegal for any car not coming with HID projector ?

Bought mine in September, one light went out a month later so replaced both. Got in the car the other day and both low beams were out when both worked the day before. Must be voltage spikes or bad grounding cause my fogs and high beams haven't had any problems. Figure I'll just run fog lights for a while.

+3!!!

Pic in sig!

I only put the fogs on even at night time...Cops are not bothering me! Even at 2am!!!

Low beams are dead. High beams works like a charm!

Are HIDs not illegal for any car not coming with HID projector ?

HIDs can be put on any car. The reason many frown on plug and play types is due to the glare created by the HID. Projectors stop glare. So no glare means anyone in front of your wont be blinded and possibly crash...or throw something at you...or go to another lane and flick you off, etc.

any HID temp beyond 6000k is just worthless. You lose light visibility. yea they look cool whoopy! But they do nothing if they are bright blue or pink or any other retarded color temp.

In some states cops are picky about HIDs. Here in florida they used to be but not anymore. Hope that answered your question.

only what pro5x2 has (or will have), and redneck, and chico. those be custom jobs and not on the cheap side.

Back