Is a 235mm width tire too wide for 18x7.5 rims sitting on Tein S-techs?

brentmc79

I had originally planned to buy 225/40/R18 tires that I had found on clearance, but now they're out of stock. So now I either go down to 225/45's or 225/50's on 17" rims, or I get the 235/40/18's that they still have in stock and which are also on clearance. So I'm wondering if a 235mm width tire will rub when sitting on Tein S-tech springs. Does anybody know?

This is for my '09 Mazda 3 in case that wasn't obvious.

Thanks

I believe the tire itself might be too big the for the rim. For clearance, I think you should be fine.

Hmm, any thoughts on running a 225/35 or 215/35? I was already a little concerned about going from the stock 50 series to a 40, but how much more of a difference in ride quality would a 35 series tire make?

215/35 is pretty small for an 18" wheel. I run 215/35/19s and the ride is pretty harsh. Not saying I wouldn't run 215/35/18s if I had 18" wheels. Just saying that the ride will definitely be more rough than 225/40/18s.

Sadly, I didn't act fast enough and the 18" tires I was looking at were sold out by the time I tried to order them. Instead I ended up ordering 17x7 MB Weapons in bronze with Hankook Ventus 215/45/R17 tires. I'll post pictures as soon as I have them.

You'll be happy with them. I have 17x7 +38 wheels with 215/45/17 tires on them and they ride great. Those Hankooks Ventus Evos are very comfortable tires too.

Yeah I was way down on coilovers with the +38s and never rubbed at all. It was very close to the fender because I didn't have them rolled yet but I never made contact.

My tires were delivered today! The wheels and springs should get dropped off tomorrow...

photo-1.jpeg

new springs?

edit: Oh youre GETTING tein s techs i thought you were riding on them already

new springs?

edit: Oh youre GETTING tein s techs i thought you were riding on them already
Nah, I've managed to keep this car bone stock since I bought it brand new, but now that I'm nearing the end of the bumper-to-bumper warranty mileage I'm ready to start tweaking it a little bit. Unfortunately it's an automatic, so I probably won't do much beyond what I'm working on now. Maybe sway bars and a lip, but I doubt I'll ever bother with anything under the hood.

I feel you. Mines also automatic but dont let that stop you. At least you can still put an intake in it like I did. It gave me alittle better MPG and it sounds nice!

Im also lowered on eibach sportlines and koni yellows.

Got the wheels and tires installed this morning.

photo_1.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_4.JPG

Now I just need to get the springs installed to take care of that wheel gap...

You will still have gap, Not a lot but still gap. The teins lower it alot in the front but the back is about 1.5 inches.

I like your wheels dude. Can't wait to see what it looks like once your springs are on. My buddy has a 05 MZ3 hatch with the S techs and I rode with him once and they felt awesome. I plan on getting some by tax return time. It's going to cost me more because my current front struts are shot and so there is no point reusing them. I was just going to get some monroe struts that are OE spec.

I like your wheels dude. Can't wait to see what it looks like once your springs are on. My buddy has a 05 MZ3 hatch with the S techs and I rode with him once and they felt awesome. I plan on getting some by tax return time. It's going to cost me more because my current front struts are shot and so there is no point reusing them. I was just going to get some monroe struts that are OE spec.

Here it is with springs installed...

6211653961_fda50d29f2_z.jpg

I dunno. I'm still riding on the OEM struts and to be honest, it rides kinda bad. I had the same springs on my Protege 5 with the OEM struts and it felt much better. I'm seriously considering upgrading to some aftermarket performance struts that should handle the reduced height a little better.

Koni yellows! I love mine, and they are adjustable. The ride isn't bad AT ALL. Im fully stiff in the front and factory in the back.

Back