ipod integration on 2013 cx-9

satwar

Has anyone got either an owners manual or specification sheet on how to integrate an ipod into the new 2013 CX-9. I see there is an AUX connection, which could be used with the headphone jack on the ipod. I also see a usb port on CX-9, but unsure whether an ipod conversion cable (30 pin to usb) will work with this usb port.

I have found the technical bulletin, dated August 2012, regarding ipod integration, but the nav and radio unit has been changed for 2013, and I don't think the 2012 information is still valid.

Should not be any reason it will not work. That's what it's there for. (Depending on the age and firmware of your iPod/iphone.) At the very least, it will supply power to the ipod or phone.

Still a doubter? Ask your dealer to answer the question or try it out.

Last edited:
I am hoping it is straight forward, plug and play. The Mazda Canada web site is very confusing, in that there are at least a 1/2 dozen ipod adapter options. They also have insane pricing, with some options looking like $700 (module +wiring harness). I suspect the options list has carryover from previous years radio systems, and are not relevant for 2013.

De nada.

I'm really hoping to hear from 2013 owners about how all the new electronics work - and if they are able use the new features like Pandora streaming and text to voice messages.

Or if the've already messed up their apple devices by unplugging the USB cables while the car was running. (hand)

Yes, I also wonder about a USB port in a car. I've never bricked a USB port on a home computer, but I've heard enough about it happening to others. I would think the potential for making a mistake with USB port is very high in a car environment compared to a home computer environment.

I just tried out the iPod integration in the 2013 GT w/ technology package. I plugged my iPod nano into the USB port. It took a while to read it. More time than I expected to the point I was wondering if it was going to work. Finally it came up and started playing. The navigation through the song list and playlist was good and easy. The problem I ran into was once I turned off the car and then turned it back on again, it wouldn't recognize the iPod again until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I tried the same thing using my iPhone as the iPod and had the same problem. I realize the iPhone could utilize the bluetooth audio, but I would rather have a dedicated iPod in the car. SO overall I was impressed up until the point that it wouldnt resume playing once I turned the car off and on again. Could just be a bug that needs to be fixed through software. Anybody have one and could verify how it should function?

That sounds like a real drag, especially for iphones (which you'll never leave in the car). It's a little funky too, because when the stereo head takes over the iPhone, you lose control of the phone screen. I suspect drivers won't like this when they try to access the phonebook or text, or use maps, etc. Plugging/unplugging the USB while in this HOT mode could damage the units, according to the manual. Kill the ignition first.

With blue tooth pairing, the car memorizes the device and automatically starts streaming the music from where it left off when you turn the key - (it's just that no track info is available).

Till you figure this out, it sounds like using the port would only be worth it for long trips.

There are some folks here who might be able to compare their pre 2013 ipod integration kit experiences with those of your integrated 2013 system.

Thanks HoloHolo - I even tried calling Mazda, nobody seems to have a clue how this thing should work. I would expect that if I plug an ipod into the usb port that it will pick up playing where it left off after the car is turned off and back on again.... The mazda guy was telling me I shouldn't leave it in the car, so it won't play where it left off...ugh. The CX-5 people seem to have mixed experiences. I can only think that is software version related w/ipod and or tomtom nav system.

I'm having a similar issue. Every time I start up (with my 80GB iPod permanently connected) it tried to re-index (I think). it sits there reading iPod. Surely there's a way to turn this off. Also, when it did finally connect, I didn't see my playlists; just VR playlist (I assume Voice Recognition). Any updates on this?

Thanks HoloHolo - I even tried calling Mazda, nobody seems to have a clue how this thing should work. I would expect that if I plug an ipod into the usb port that it will pick up playing where it left off after the car is turned off and back on again.... The mazda guy was telling me I shouldn't leave it in the car, so it won't play where it left off...ugh. The CX-5 people seem to have mixed experiences. I can only think that is software version related w/ipod and or tomtom nav system.

The 2013 IPOD USB adapter works great. It is literally plug and play. Use the std USB cable attached to your IPOD. After you attach it, your Audio input screen will change from "USB" to "IPOD"..Depend on the number of songs you have, it will take a little bit to load them in. I have roughly 3700, andit takes 2-3 minutes to "load". However, after it loaded, you cn see you playlist, select search criteria, or you voice command to choose an artist. It allow you to shuffle as well. I dont even use Sirius and more. The first couple months was solely the IPOD. However a better selection is Pandora via blutooth. That is definatly the way to go. It starts as soon as your iphone connects and will resume where it left off at your last listening episode.
I had a 2011 CX-9, and the 2013 Audio and NAV is FAR superior. couldnt be happier with it!

Bob, does it take 2-3 minutes every time you get in the car? I made it almost all the way to work this morning before it finished reading (I do have nearly 80GB of tunes however).

The 2013 IPOD USB adapter works great. It is literally plug and play. Use the std USB cable attached to your IPOD. After you attach it, your Audio input screen will change from "USB" to "IPOD"..Depend on the number of songs you have, it will take a little bit to load them in. I have roughly 3700, andit takes 2-3 minutes to "load". However, after it loaded, you cn see you playlist, select search criteria, or you voice command to choose an artist. It allow you to shuffle as well. I dont even use Sirius and more. The first couple months was solely the IPOD. However a better selection is Pandora via blutooth. That is definatly the way to go. It starts as soon as your iphone connects and will resume where it left off at your last listening episode.
I had a 2011 CX-9, and the 2013 Audio and NAV is FAR superior. couldnt be happier with it!

For me it takes 2-3 minutes. I park on the 3rd floor of a parking garage, and by time i get onto the street, the music usually starts. Its a 64GB IPOD, with about 2700 songs - so not a lot. Its starts from the beginning each time. That is why i like Pandora - it resumes where it stopped when you got ut of the vehicle. Either way, its a nice enhancement.

I plugged in a 2GB iPod Nano and it never finished reading before I had to stop the car (I let it read for about 15 minutes).

Back