iPod connection on CX-7

Electronics Engineer

Another analogy, it is like using a 60 Gig iPod shuffle! Actually the first feature they describe in the manual is the random function. I wonder why?

Original Post

I must tell everyone that I did a full pin out of the connector from the iPod to this MAGICAL box. I found all the normal wires (L+R audio, +/- firewire for charging, etc) and the 3 wires (Rx, Tx and Acc). These last three are not needed for the iPod to function endlessly or at least for the capabilities WE want. I was hoping by disconnecting 1, 2 or all 3 of these extra wire connections that it would take the iPod out of this non functional mode the Mazda connector puts it in. I was correct! It does allow the iPod to function as normal but my worse case scenario of what I thought might happen did; the radio then doesnt receive (Rx) the signal that the iPod is connected and therefore does not play. I wouldnt care if the damn radio blinked NO EX all the time as long as it played. Is there someone out there (electronics engineer) that knows how we can create this signal fictitiously and fool the radio that it is playing an endless song, we then could have it our way!

BTW, email me if any one wants this Mazda iPod Connector kit cheap. I spliced the wires, but then re-soldered. I made the splice 9 inches from the box so it is never seen.

Last edited:
I guess I will have to continue to use CD's ... too bad it is a pain to load and unload single CD's on the NAV unit.

IPOD Info

Hello I'm the new chick on the block, owner of a new Pearl White Grand Touring CX7 WITH the highly debatable tech package and I also have sirius radio. I was told by my dealer that they can put in an ipod integration kit and its ordered to arrive on Tuesday .. Sounded hopeful but after reading all of your posts Im concerned they dont know what they are talking about! Help! Have I been taken?

makawinan said:
Hello I'm the new chick on the block, owner of a new Pearl White Grand Touring CX7 WITH the highly debatable tech package and I also have sirius radio. I was told by my dealer that they can put in an ipod integration kit and its ordered to arrive on Tuesday .. Sounded hopeful but after reading all of your posts Im concerned they dont know what they are talking about! Help! Have I been taken?

I would make them pay the $4K for the Tech Option too, HA! I will admit it is a nice option, but I already have a nice TomTom GPS and the non intergration of iPod, it then gets the boot!

Actually I love the tech package - though overpriced :) and love my sirus radio even more. I have the FM transmittr for my IPOD but it's like why bother - what a waste of money that was. I'll keep you posted what happens ..if not this time around, they will eventually get it I would assume. I'm keeping the faith.

makawinan - There "is" an iPod kit for the CX-7... it's just NOT compatable with the integrated stereo/navigation head unit.

And from what I've read here... even if they magically DID make it work somehow... the (extremely) limited functionality (lack of control of iPod and display of data) is a big frustration point.

I fear that without a spare "port" on the head-unit to tap-into... we may be out-of-luck for a hard-wired solution that integrates nicely with the system.

<--- loosing hope.

:)

I think I found something good! Unless I am missing something I think this is the answer from RPM

It appears that it allows full operation from the iPod and steering wheel/headunit! Or am I missing something?

(also, video and lineout cable option....NICE.)

Unfortunately as I read to the bottom there is this:

NOTE for 2007 Mazda CX-7: The AudioLink is only compatible if the factory navigation system is NOT installed.

I have the navi system so not sure what the reality of all this is - I am going to call before I waste my time on the appointment (and hardware plus installation). to see exactly what it is and do they know for sure whatever they have will work with the tech package that is fully loaded.

I will let you all know, hopefully in the next week I can get this resolved one way or the other.

I guess we are at least being heard!

I got a tip today that if you google "mazda ipod" my review on Mazda's iPod connector shows up a few lines down the list! Excellent, maybe this will get people to think before they release a product of this sort.

Mike

Thom_y said:
So has anyone ordered the Neo kit yet for their NAV system equipped CX-7 ?
No, I spoke to someone I know in CORPORATE and he told me they are very close to getting the ipod adapter to work with the NAV and he will let me know.................which means I will LET YOU GUYS know when it will be available. :)

If Mazda made one to work with the NAV system that'd be great. But chances are it'll work just at poorly as the unit they have now for the non-NAV equipped 7s. I like the Neo product because it has an auxillary input that I can plug my rear-seat DVD player into. I found a dealer in my area who will order and install it for me. They said if it doesn't end up working with the NAV (which it claims to be able to do) they will return it with no extra charge to me.

I am gonna hold out for the MAZDA OEM version....NOT gonna take any chances of frying the electrical system with a after market part...but that is just me

I was told they are getting close to finishing the iPod hook up for the NAVIGATION kit. As of 12-8-06. At least I have MP3 till then.

Back