iPod connection on CX-7

There definitely is more to life than an ipod -- or alternate mp3 player -- but there is also more to life than a cx-7. Give me a break. They should have had at the very least a line in, this is not advanced technology. I get frustrated that my mp3 player only works with an FM adapter every single time I get in the car. Do I get over it? Yes. Do I get frustrated again when I get in teh car again? Yes. How simple would it have been to fix my frustration by putting what is now a standard accessory option in cars far less stylish, far less technology forward, far less expensive (yaris anyone?) -- very very simple. They just didn't do it. Fine, they are late to the game and they will be coming out with some sort of after the fact catch-up, but I think in this instance we have the right to complain a little. The SUV I never saw coming should have had a line-in that everyone else saw coming.

For me, it's more than that. I agree. My iPod is not my life... but the time I spend in my vehicle equates to an average of 8-10 hours. I've already spent the time over the years organizing and purchasing my music via iTunes and iPod. It *is* a part of how I purchase, organize, store and enjoy my music.

I don't *want* to spend even more-time creating playlists specifically for .MP3 burning and loading 6 discs of files that cannot be randomly accessed and only represent a small fraction of my 3k+ songs that I have.

Yes, life goes-on... I'm not about to slit a wrist or anything, but as I said before... this IS a "technology" package... and like-it-or-not, iPod accounts for just over 70% of the players in circulation right now. There's a REASON auto manufaturers are adopting connectivity for iPod - yes, iPod... NOT .MP3 players... SPECIFICALLY the iPod.

I am not upset with you by any means, I just feel that what may seem trivial to you, is something that seems woefully overlooked by a portion of us owners of the CX-7.

Peace...

If any of you find "any" solution in the aftermarket world that integrates iPod connectivity to a Mazda Stereo w/Nav... PLEASE post it here.

Please... no need for links to Cassette adaptors and FM transmitters. That's "not" what I am (we are?) looking for. I want to be able to use the line-out (NOT the headphone-out) of my iPod to connect directly to my stereo.

For those who don't know, there's a big difference in audio quality between using the headphone jack and the "line-out" integrated in the multi-pin connector on the bottom. The headphone jack uses a built-in pre-amp in the iPod that doesn't sound all-that-great when used for anything other than headphones. It is underpowered and accellerates battery usage if not being charged. The power for the pre-amp is coming from the iPod battery and is NOT line-level.

The bottom connector DOES use a cleaner line-level signal with no attenuation - adjusting the volume on the iPod will not affect the signal level whatsoever.

ANYHOW - enough of my nonsense... Please, let us all know if any of you find anything that'll work!

Thanks!
- Scott

*Bumping* this thread and transferring Mixmaster's 'inside scoop" here; that Mazda is supposedly working on a solution for us "Nav/Audio" owners who cannot use their current "solution" for iPod connectivity.

No concrete dates or proof... but it's worth holding-out hope for.

- scott

mixmasterlove said:
In the intrem I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Airplay... www.xtrememac.com

*sigh* - It figures. :)

The one stipulation with the AirPlay... compatible with all iPods except 3rd-Generation. Here's a shocker... I have a 3G iPod.

Oh well... I will be updating once Apple releases their "real" video iPod.
For now... I wait. Thanx MxMstLv...!

-scott

Yeah great BUT...

"5. Cannot be installed on a CX-7 with Factory Navigation Option!"

It may be only $116.00 but if you got the "Tech Pkg." your still left out in the cold.

I agree, a $4000.00 Tech Pkg. ought to have a $2.00 connection for an iPod! And yes I can load 600 songs into the 6-disk changer, but thats not the point.
Get with the times, were on the 5th generation of iPod. Its dominate and here to stay.

I got the Mazda iPod connector today and have taken a little time to post this to cool off a little bit. After opening the accessivley LARGE package it came in and trying to understand the menu structure for the audio controls, I realize that finding a song in a library of 7,000 will be nearly impossible. This document explains some of the logic of the menu structure.

iPodPlayBackMazdaConnector.jpg

I am hoping once this installed it will become more clear and friendly to use, some how I doubt it.

I think in some way the swtiching "Box" that comes with this connector must have the ability to allow just an INPUT source. I will investigate shorting ALL the wires to the "swiching" box other than the line out and charging features to see if this will work. With just an INPUT source I hope to use the iPod interface and not the radio menu.

Last edited:
THOUGHT OUT said:
I got the Mazda iPod connector today and have taken a little time to post this to cool off a little bit. After opening the accessivley LARGE package it came in and trying to understand the menu structure for the audio controls, I realize that finding a song in a library of 7,000 will be nearly impossible. This document explains some of the logic of the menu structure.

[URL="http://lh5.google.com/thoughtout.biz/RS7ne1sXABI/AAAAAAAAAAk/uZALZdU2JPc/iPodPlayBackMazdaConnector.jpg?imgmax=144"]http://lh5.google.com/thoughtout.biz/RS7ne1sXABI/AAAAAAAAAAk/uZALZdU2JPc/iPodPlayBackMazdaConnector.jpg?imgmax=144http://lh5.google.com/thoughtout.biz/RS7ne1sXABI/AAAAAAAAAAk/uZALZdU2JPc/iPodPlayBackMazdaConnector.jpg?imgmax=144[/URL]

I am hoping once this installed it will become more clear and friendly to use, some how I doubt it.

I think in some way the swtiching "Box" that comes with this connector must have the ability to allow just an INPUT source. I will investigate shorting ALL the wires to the "swiching" box other than the line out and charging features to see if this will work. With just an INPUT source I hope to use the iPod interface and not the radio menu.

Does the CX7 have the AUX input?

5280_CX-7 said:
Yeah great BUT...

"5. Cannot be installed on a CX-7 with Factory Navigation Option!"

How about another "but:"

2. If vehicle is equipped with Sirius Satellite Kit ... iPod Integration Module CANNOT be installed as well. (Sat Kit or PhatNoise already using Head unit Connector).

Maybe there's some kind of switch I can plug both the iPod and the Sirius into, and then plug a main trunk line into the single AUX In (factory line in, back of head unit?); then just toggle back and forth betwen the iPod and Sirius?? It'd be a pain in the arse but better than having to choose beween one or the other...

anyone smarter than me have any ideas??? Please???

Last edited:
swank_x said:
How about another "but:"

2. If vehicle is equipped with Sirius Satellite Kit ... iPod Integration Module CANNOT be installed as well. (Sat Kit or PhatNoise already using Head unit Connector).

Maybe there's some kind of switch I can plug both the iPod and the Sirius into, and then plug a main trunk line into the single AUX In (factory line in, back of head unit?); then just toggle back and forth betwen the iPod and Sirius?? It'd be a pain in the arse but better than having to choose beween one or the other...

anyone smarter than me have any ideas??? Please???
Swank,
I started reading your post on my BlackBerry (not seeing your last paragraph) thinking you should/could most likely split the harness with a multipole switch. If you don't have the know how I am sure your local car audio shop could work something up. Good luck.....

I am installing the Mazda connector myself today!

Please tell how it goes....maybe even a separate thread with step by step?

Thanks for the suggestion, and good luck!

maybe its lucky that it doesn't work with NAV system. It sounds like a dog.

It seems to me only Mercedes and BMW (on their second generation) have really figured out what iPod integration should mean. If you can't access all songs, artists, albums it probably isn't worth the cost or trouble.

Good to know - I guess it's a mixed blessing.

As a techi-nerdy guy myself, I know how EASY it is to develop a product that taps-into the iPod - I'm not say "I" can do it myself, but I know enough in my field that it's a relatively easy thing to do - they just need to commit to it and put some resources on it - get a team together that can get all the OEMs to the table and figure-out how to get everything to work together and meet the customer's needs. It's not rocket-science... it's passing audio, control data and meta-data through an interface that is very-well documented by Apple. They WANT people to adopt accessibility.

*sigh*

And still, we wait.

:)

Back